The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Luis Suarez is probably capable of murder truth be told.

well that makes no sense since any human being is capable of murder.

Original post by hello101010
You think Gerrard doesn't have extreme desire to win? Almost all footballers do, but very few do the **** he does. It's disgusting. It doesn't necessarily make him a bad person off the field, but chances are if you can do the stuff he does on the pitch you can do it off.

i agree, the best footballers are the best because their desire to win can positively affect their mental, thus physical performance.

his behaviour in the past has been disgusting, but what has he done this season that you find so bad?
i know a single year cannot excuse him for his previous sins, but what has he done wrong in your eyes this season?

of course, there is a chance that the glimpses of madness we have seen in the past are windows in to his wider personality.
but that does not mean we should make that assumption.

all in all, his personality should mean nothing to us (unless it affects his behaviour on the pitch in future).
we are football fans.
the fact is that if suarez played for your team, helped your team so much through times as tough as this, you would support him as much as i do now.
Original post by 419
When and where did I claim this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said you did. :tongue: In fairness it was more of the criticism of us stockpiling players a while back and then I hear armchair experts say something like "you should only loan a player out for a year max" when thinking of Lukaku's situation, which I think will backfire anyway, when quite a few clubs loan players out for more than a year, they are just much less profile situations.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown

i agree, the best footballers are the best because their desire to win can positively affect their mental, thus physical performance.

his behaviour in the past has been disgusting, but what has he done this season that you find so bad?
i know a single year cannot excuse him for his previous sins, but what has he done wrong in your eyes this season?

of course, there is a chance that the glimpses of madness we have seen in the past are windows in to his wider personality.
but that does not mean we should make that assumption.

all in all, his personality should mean nothing to us (unless it affects his behaviour on the pitch in future).
we are football fans.
the fact is that if suarez played for your team, helped your team so much through times as tough as this, you would support him as much as i do now.

He hasn't done anything this year as far as I remember, but as you say that doesn't matter.

You can support him as a player without endorsing his behaviour. That's the mature thing to do.

In fact, I don't buy the whole "he just wants to win" argument. Biting someone or punching them in the face when the ball isn't even there doesn't help your team to win, it does the opposite. The aim is to hurt someone for no reason, and get away with it because of the circumstances of a football match.
He hasn't done anything this year as far as I remember, but as you say that doesn't matter.

You can support him as a player without endorsing his behaviour. That's the mature thing to do.

In fact, I don't buy the whole "he just wants to win" argument. Biting someone or punching them in the face when the ball isn't even there doesn't help your team to win, it does the opposite. The aim is to hurt someone for no reason, and get away with it because of the circumstances of a football match.

Still better than Giggs, as a player and as a person.
Original post by jam278
Still better than Giggs, as a player and as a person.

I agree, but that's irrelevant.
Balotelli was also inconsistent for Manchester City, surely you can't say that's a lack of quality either?

He's a risky buy imo but is an improvement on what you have.

Doubt you'll get him, you'll keep faith in Joel Campbell and Sanogo personally.

i of course do not endorse any negative behaviour on his part.
we as adults should be able to control ourselves even in a passion-fuelled game.
it was merely an explanation as to why he has done stupid things in the past.

tbh, you see it all over the place - a decent proportion of red cards in modern football are for stupid, unnecessary things.
even in this world cup there have been several incidents of violent conduct for no real reason.

suarez cannot be excused, however i do think that he is definitely discriminated against.
people make a way bigger deal if suarez does something bad than if somebody else like rooney did.

at the end of the day, a lot of people don't want to like the best people at something.
we like to root for underdogs because we like the excitement and surprise.
we don't always want the same people to win everything; we don't want to see the same footballers be the best year after year.
maybe we find something to dislike about them; something to invalidate them in our eyes?

i remember i used to really hate ronaldo with all his diving.
we like competition, so we want more of an even ground; we want more players challenging to be the best in the world.
Original post by jam278
Balotelli was also inconsistent for Manchester City, surely you can't say that's a lack of quality either?

He's a risky buy imo but is an improvement on what you have.

Doubt you'll get him, you'll keep faith in Joel Campbell and Sanogo personally.

The reason why Balo was inconsistent at Man city was because of his immaturity and his blatant refusal to work in a system. Hence why people labelled him lazy which he was tbf. People need to remember Balo was only 20 when he moved there.

Balo will be 24 this August and you can't deny there have been alot of changes in his life and attitude. Like I said his child, upcoming marriage and the competition in the Italy NT are helping Balo mature and concentrate on his football. He also showed signs of improvement under seedorf, he needs a coach to nurture him whilst being firm with him at the same time e.g Prandelli and Seedorf
Reply 8668
Higuin has been absolutely woeful
Original post by SHOO
Higuin has been absolutely woeful

Di maria on the other hand
Reply 8670
Original post by AR_95
Di maria on the other hand

MY MAN
Original post by Isometrix
It's nothing special tbh. Spanish and Italian are so similar, you can understand most of one if you're fluent in the other.

Most Swiss people would be proficient in french, german, italian and english too. Belgians too bar the italian.

Wish I continued French and Spanish to a-level, if only it wasn't considered useless for my degree :frown:

They're not that similar.

French is closer to Spanish, and although I'm fluent in French I can't follow a conversation in Spanish.

The Swiss are an interesting bunch, but it's rare to find someone proficient in all four languages.

Arsene's a beast.
Original post by sevchenko
The reason why Balo was inconsistent at Man city was because of his immaturity and his blatant refusal to work in a system. Hence why people labelled him lazy which he was tbf. People need to remember Balo was only 20 when he moved there.

Balo will be 24 this August and you can't deny there have been alot of changes in his life and attitude. Like I said his child, upcoming marriage and the competition in the Italy NT are helping Balo mature and concentrate on his football. He also showed signs of improvement under seedorf, he needs a coach to nurture him whilst being firm with him at the same time e.g Prandelli and Seedorf

You mean he still has a strop?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2613556/Roma-2-0-Milan-Mario-Balotelli-throws-strop-boss-Clarence-Seedorf-Miralem-Pjanic-Gervinho-strike-Giallorossi.html
Reply 8673
Imagine Khadera realises how much he misses playing with Ozil, and forces a move to arsenal :wink:
Original post by SHOO
Imagine Khadera realises how much he misses playing with Ozil, and forces a move to arsenal :wink:

There are so many better options than Khedira.
Original post by Basiji
There are so many better options than Khedira.

I wouldn't take him in our midfield and that's saying something.

Can't believe Moyes bid £40m for him last summer :pierre:
ozil best assist of the cup!!
Original post by AR_95
ozil best assist of the cup!!

Imo Daley Blind's assist to RvP is the assist of the tournament so far.
Assists are a bit weird, both were good ball, but they are only different than all the other good balls because someone put it in the net. People will have put better balls in, better passes and someone will miss.
swear that was his first touch too

Latest