The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sulfur
We've just finished our exams for AQA Level 2 Further Maths, but that didn't contain any sequences as such like that, just the general linear, quadratic and expressing n as a limiting factor --> infinity. It contained some great things though, like equations of normals, tangents, max, min, stationary etc and that was fun. It even had matrices, which AQA abused on our exams. I can't wait for A Level Maths though! We've practically covered 2/3 of it apparently.

I'd say it covers about 3/4 of C1 and about 3/5 of C2. The only things that come to mind that aren't included are arithmetic and geometric sequences, ambiguous triangles (as cool as they sound), integration, and some bits of coordinate geometry. If you look at some C1 and C2 past papers, you can judge for yourself how much more you need to cover.

For AS there's also an applied module you have to do, normally Stats 1 or Mechanics 1 but occasionally Decision 1. Stats 1 is fairly easy, the first half is a recap of GCSE and there's nothing too difficult after that. There's a lot of tedious formula use though. Mechanics 1 (which I have yet to self teach) looks a damn sight more interesting, but also a bit more difficult. Decision 1 is apparently very easy, but also very boring. Unis don't look too highly on it.

A2 is a whole different ball game. Suffice to say that trig identities get harder, the differentiation goes up a notch, but there's also some light relief in graph sketching, numerical methods (read - bashing numbers into a calculator for ten minutes) and vectors in 3D. :smile:

How did AQA abuse the matrices? I thought they were reasonable questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2781
Original post by olmyster911
I have to try the hardest with revision for P7, because physics was never the focal point (:biggrin:) of my revision at the start of the exam season. You?

Yup I've been trying to focus but I just can't get the momentum to get the work done. I'm just constantly refracting away from P7 - however, it is really interesting though. In the CGP book, you can more or less ignore the second to last page as it's common sense, similarly with the E.T life section I find.

I love science jokes. :smile:
Reply 2782
Original post by Krollo
I'd say it covers about 3/4 of C1 and about 3/5 of C2. The only things that come to mind that aren't included are arithmetic and geometric sequences, ambiguous triangles (as cool as they sound), integration, and some bits of coordinate geometry. If you look at some C1 and C2 past papers, you can judge for yourself how much more you need to cover.

For AS there's also an applied module you have to do, normally Stats 1 or Mechanics 1 but occasionally Decision 1. Stats 1 is fairly easy, the first half is a recap of GCSE and there's nothing too difficult after that. There's a lot of tedious formula use though. Mechanics 1 (which I have yet to self teach) looks a damn sight more interesting, but also a bit more difficult. Decision 1 is apparently very easy, but also very boring. Unis don't look too highly on it.

A2 is a whole different ball game. Suffice to say that trig identities get harder, the differentiation goes up a notch, but there's also some light relief in graph sketching, numerical methods (read - bashing numbers into a calculator for ten minutes) and vectors in 3D. :smile:

How did AQA abuse the matrices? I thought they were reasonable questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup they were nice questions but it was the fact that I've never really seen that many questions on them across both papers (Paper 1 was reasonable with the expanding) but Paper 2 had the expanding of the given matrix when it was cubed which had a lot of working out and then more questions on OABC.

I've never really liked matrices though, I understand them but I just find them a pain.
Original post by Sulfur
Yup I've been trying to focus but I just can't get the momentum to get the work done. I'm just constantly refracting away from P7 - however, it is really interesting though. In the CGP book, you can more or less ignore the second to last page as it's common sense, similarly with the E.T life section I find.

I suppose physics lens itself to this kind of wordplay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulfur
Yup they were nice questions but it was the fact that I've never really seen that many questions on them across both papers (Paper 1 was reasonable with the expanding) but Paper 2 had the expanding of the given matrix when it was cubed which had a lot of working out and then more questions on OABC.

I've never really liked matrices though, I understand them but I just find them a pain.

Unless you do a Further maths! you need never see them again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulfur

At least you have potential energy to put the work in! I just can't get into the flow because I dislike the topic so much! Me and P7 just seem to repel. Hopefully we both overcome our mental resistance and we do well in the exam!

Me too :cool:
Reply 2786
Original post by Krollo
Unless you do a Further maths! you need never see them again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

*In reply to your first post also*

I think that my school is teaching S1 for AS then M1 for A2... which when looking at bit over both of the modules I prefer M1. I'm doing AS Physics (not A2 thank goodness) and I know that the first Physics unit covers SUVAT equations which is a small part of M1, so that's good. Yup I've heard about A2 maths being quite different - but that's the thing that'll probably get me through it, the fact that whilst I may dislike it and find it difficult there'll always be that challenge.

Great! I'm not doing further maths, so I'm extremely happy about that. I don't even want to think about the fact that they'll probably be doing 3x3 or even greater matrices *shivers*.
On the p7 assessment material it doesn't include the formula for working out distance in parsecs:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80689-unit-a183-02-physics-modules-p7-higher-accredited.pdf

Which should be 1/Parallax angle(arcseconds)

Will we have to learn this? The spec states:
"define a parsec as the distance to a star with a parallax angle of one second of arc" and
"Calculate distances in parsecs for simple parallax angles expressed as fractions of a second of arc"
Original post by JustAPye
On the p7 assessment material it doesn't include the formula for working out distance in parsecs:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80689-unit-a183-02-physics-modules-p7-higher-accredited.pdf

Which should be 1/Parallax angle(arcseconds)

Will we have to learn this? The spec states:
"define a parsec as the distance to a star with a parallax angle of one second of arc" and
"Calculate distances in parsecs for simple parallax angles expressed as fractions of a second of arc"

I think so, the spec is pretty much saying that's what you need to do, but they usually give you the formulas at the front of the paper so XDD (I never learn the formulas c,:smile:
Does anyone have a good guide for Controlled Assessments?

I have my Chemistry one starting next week (although it's nearly end of term!), Biology and Physics when we get back.

Any good tips for achieving high marks?

If it helps, as far as I'm aware we are doing:

Biology - heat loss
Chemistry - endothermic and exothermic
Physics - craters

We have pretty much covered 1-6, so have CAs and the 7's to do
Reply 2790
Imagine a 6 marker on aliens/life outside our solar system :lol:
Reply 2791
Original post by Jitesh
Does anyone have a good guide for Controlled Assessments?

I have my Chemistry one starting next week (although it's nearly end of term!), Biology and Physics when we get back.

Any good tips for achieving high marks?

If it helps, as far as I'm aware we are doing:

Biology - heat loss
Chemistry - endothermic and exothermic
Physics - craters

We have pretty much covered 1-6, so have CAs and the 7's to do

Make sure to cover every single factor (about 5-6 probably)
Write an hypothesis and then a prediction
Repeat your tests three times or so, include units
Make sure to do preliminary tests to decide your chosen factor
Always speak about outliers and error bars on graphs in evaluation

What's your title for endo/exothermic? That looks really interesting. Ours was on the rate of reaction.
Original post by Sulfur
Make sure to cover every single factor (about 5-6 probably)
Write an hypothesis and then a prediction
Repeat your tests three times or so, include units
Make sure to do preliminary tests to decide your chosen factor
Always speak about outliers and error bars on graphs in evaluation

What's your title for endo/exothermic? That looks really interesting. Ours was on the rate of reaction.

Ah, I will do!

I'm not quite sure, but I was told the craters one will be really good; as we get a smooth curve or something - which got our teacher all excited!
Do we have to know the Hubble constant??
Reply 2794
Do we have to know the Hubble constant??

Pretty sure we do as it's not given in the front and questions can come up for it. It's not difficult to remember 2x10^-18 or 70km per Mpc I guess... so I wouldn't risk it! :smile:
Reply 2795
There's a good way to remember the factors of running, closing down, operating and building an observatory:

C - cost (to operate, close, plan and build)
A - accessibility (working conditions)
S - social (job impact)
E - environmental (damage of habitats/ecosystems)
Original post by Sulfur
Pretty sure we do as it's not given in the front and questions can come up for it. It's not difficult to remember 2x10^-18 or 70km per Mpc I guess... so I wouldn't risk it! :smile:

Knowing me I'll forget it, graciasss
Knowing me I'll forget it, graciasss

I don't think the hubble constant one will come up as it came up a lot in the sample/specimen paper =]
Reply 2798
Original post by Pandorax
I don't think the hubble constant one will come up as it came up a lot in the sample/specimen paper =]

If it's been in the specimen - more reason to put it on the actual paper! It'd be a nice few marks though, it'd probably be two/three, depending on if you had to rearrange the equation maybe.
Original post by Sulfur
If it's been in the specimen - more reason to put it on the actual paper! It'd be a nice few marks though, it'd probably be two/three, depending on if you had to rearrange the equation maybe.

I thought that if it comes up in the specimen, it is unlikely to come up in the actual paper? O.- D: XDD ..Have I been looking at the specimen the wrong way.. oh god..XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending