The Student Room Group

Should I revise/ prepare myself for year 11 in the summer holiday?

Who's done that before and was it useful? Or is it better to just relax and enjoy the stress-free time while I can?
BTW, all my exams are linear so I'll be doing them all at the end of year 11.

Update:
I have now finished my GCSEs so I don't need responses any more, thank you. Your responses may benefit others, though :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nadine_08
Who's done that before and was it useful? Or is it better to just relax and enjoy the stress-free time while I can?

That's exactly what I'm going to do :biggrin:
I'm also in year 10.
I'm going to revise from now until the exam and hopefully get A* in every single subject. It's way better to do that than cramming the month before.
Reply 2

No I started in October and ended up bored out of my head/burnt out and feeling physically sick at the sight of revision.
100% do not recommend. Most the people I know started in April. Besides I doubt you've learnt everything in your course- we still had stuff to learn in Year 11 and all my exams were linear.

Enjoy your holiday before GCSEs and brush up on year 10 stuff if you really want to revise something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SL2310
That's exactly what I'm going to do :biggrin:
I'm also in year 10.
I'm going to revise from now until the exam and hopefully get A* in every single subject. It's way better to do that than cramming the month before.

But wouldn't you forget all the knowledge by the end of year 11?
I'd say relax and maybe do like an hour of revision/refreshing your memory like 2-3 times a week! You don't want to do too much and you still need to have fun without forgetting everything you've learned :smile:

My school gave us the 50 hour challenge over the Year 10 Summer holidays... 5 hours worth of work per subject it was awful :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Gorwell
No I started in October and ended up bored out of my head/burnt out and feeling physically sick at the sight of revision.
100% do not recommend. Most the people I know started in April. Besides I doubt you've learnt everything in your course- we still had stuff to learn in Year 11 and all my exams were linear.

Enjoy your holiday before GCSEs and brush up on year 10 stuff if you really want to revise something.

I've got 26 exams though. 26!?! I don't want to end up not revising as much as I wanted to and wishing I'd started earlier.
Reply 6
you should start a-level content now
Personally I would just enjoy summer. You want to have a good break and feel refreshed before going back to studying rather than burning out before you've even started. If you really want to prepare then I wouldn't go further than looking at the introductory topics for each subject or perhaps brushing over the revision books. If you revise the topics as you learn them throughout the year then you'll be fine.
Reply 8
But wouldn't you forget all the knowledge by the end of year 11?

You wouldn't if you keep re-revising the material + if you learn topics that your teachers are going to teach you in year 11, they are refreshing your memory.
Enjoy your holiday
Reply 10
Original post by SL2310
You wouldn't if you keep re-revising the material + if you learn topics that your teachers are going to teach you in year 11, they are refreshing your memory.

Hey, say you have a massive course load. And did for example 6 hours a day from the start of the year till the exams, doing an hour a day on average for a subject, how do you manage to remember the stuff you have done say 3 months before. Do you have to test yourself on those topics throughout the year or something.

p.s. Gove is a ****er.

Haggy.
You're going to be given many opportunities to revise throughout the school year, don't bother wasting your summer on revision now. Just enjoy it with friends/family/whatever before the hard work starts.
Reply 12
Original post by Gorwell

That's the process! No pain, no gain. No struggle, no progession. Did you think the process was going to be easy? I am aware that I am going to be stressed out but that's life. When life knocks you down, get back up and fight! Fight your way through! At the end of pain and struggle is SUCCESS! I know that I'm going to be stressed out when I do this but I'm willing to take the hits. When I get the grades I desire, I will reflect back and realise that it was actually worth it.
Reply 13
Original post by Haggylad
Hey, say you have a massive course load. And did for example 6 hours a day from the start of the year till the exams, doing an hour a day on average for a subject, how do you manage to remember the stuff you have done say 3 months before. Do you have to test yourself on those topics throughout the year or something.

p.s. Gove is a ****er.

Haggy.

Continously go over the information. Revise the information one day then come back and revise the information again on the third day and do this again at the end of the week. The best way for the information to stick in your head is by writing the notes down as well as recall the information without looking at the text book. Let's say you're on the bus, going home. Try and memorise the information you learnt in the text book from memory and do this continously and you'll remember it. Do it throughout the day, when you're eating, on the bus, going to school, whatever. it's like revising in your head without a text book. And any information you forget, read it from the text book 2-3 times, look away and recall the information to see if you memorise it. And the best way for you to memorise the information is by explaining it or saying it out loud as if you are teaching it to someone else. Thsi helps the information to stick in your mind. Hope this helps! :smile:

http://www.timetabler.com/physics4u/4Ufreepowerpoints.html

Go on the link and click on Revision Technique: Powerpoint
It basically shows what I've been explaining to you but using images + greater depth of explaination.
Go on the website in the spoiler. It's a massive secret, so I've had to hide it in case people misuse it.

getalifeandenjoyyoursummer.com
Original post by SL2310
That's the process! No pain, no gain. No struggle, no progession. Did you think the process was going to be easy? I am aware that I am going to be stressed out but that's life. When life knocks you down, get back up and fight! Fight your way through! At the end of pain and struggle is SUCCESS! I know that I'm going to be stressed out when I do this but I'm willing to take the hits. When I get the grades I desire, I will reflect back and realise that it was actually worth it.

Trust me I'm talking from experience, I know the process isn't easy.
You can still get good grades by revising a month before... GCSEs are not something you need a years worth of revision for. You may look back but you'll probably be reflecting on feeling like rubbish and dragging yourself through unnecessary suffering.
If you're year 10 going onto year 11 then I don't recommend any hardcore revision till next year at the least. It's simply not worth it. Most A* students don't spend the whole year revising- they work consistently in lessons and revise EFFECTIVELY. If you want to have reassurance that you will do well then start revising in February not a year before your exam. By all means learn stuff and refresh topics from year 10 but it is useless preparing for something a year before when you really don't need to. Revision for mocks is a whole different level- don't treat them as a doss as most of them go towards your predicted for sixth form, even then you don't need to revise like you're doing A levels!

I've finished all my exams and wish I spent much more of my year relaxing and trying out new things rather than putting in effort and stress on myself that wasn't necessary.
I've got 26 exams though. 26!?! I don't want to end up not revising as much as I wanted to and wishing I'd started earlier.

Trust me I've finished over 30 exams this year and they didn't require as much preparation as I had stupidly comprehended in year 10. Although I would focus on your weaker subjects earlier on (for me this was maths) and not much more till a few months/weeks before your actual exams. Good luck for next year and if you have any questions then PM me. :smile:
lol no
Reply 18
Hahahahaa no ****ing way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Lol you dont need to start doing any work till next april/may depending when your exams are

Quick Reply

Latest