The Student Room Group

after acca?

What can we study after acca?Can we progress to masters?
Yes, you can apply for Masters but I don't think after this professional qualification, there is a need of a masters degree. How about applying for better appreciated Accounting Qualifications? CPA, ICAW, CIMA, CGMA...there are numerous options.
Reply 2
Original post by Hellcat12
Yes, you can apply for Masters but I don't think after this professional qualification, there is a need of a masters degree. How about applying for better appreciated Accounting Qualifications? CPA, ICAW, CIMA, CGMA...there are numerous options.

Why do you think again other professional qualifications are needed? What's it about? Why but, after ACCA I heard masters can be done
?
Original post by Sena5
Why do you think again other professional qualifications are needed? What's it about? Why but, after ACCA I heard masters can be done
?

I said that masters can be done, but as a professional accountant, you wouldn't be needing one, but if it's your desire, sure, no one can put any barrier on that.
The other qualifications are to make a Professional more diversified. For a global recognition, and better work experience, I see CIMA and CGMA as a great opportunity, it's Management Accounting and gives you a chance to apply for Managerial posts. CPA is recognised in the USA, anyone with a plan to move to America can get it. There are so many exemptions available and it doesn't take time.
Reply 4
Dont waste your time/money getting another qualification (especially a masters) unless you need it to take a sideways step. ACCA is a great, globally-recognised qualification which is actually on par with those Hellcat mentioned. ACCA is for Financial Accounting - if this is where you want to be, then stick with your ACCA. But it is diverse enough to allow to move into other areas of commercial accounting, like management accounts.

Moving into audit may require an ACA qualification, or going into practice may require ICAEW - but it may not always be the case, considering those with an ACCA qualification can legally produce and sign off financial statements.

It would help if you could mention which type of accountant you wanted to be.
Reply 5
Original post by Reidy5
Dont waste your time/money getting another qualification (especially a masters) unless you need it to take a sideways step. ACCA is a great, globally-recognised qualification which is actually on par with those Hellcat mentioned. ACCA is for Financial Accounting - if this is where you want to be, then stick with your ACCA. But it is diverse enough to allow to move into other areas of commercial accounting, like management accounts.

Moving into audit may require an ACA qualification, or going into practice may require ICAEW - but it may not always be the case, considering those with an ACCA qualification can legally produce and sign off financial statements.

It would help if you could mention which type of accountant you wanted to be.

I think it should be closer to finance accounting:yep:

I have got an offer to start a admin job documentation in finance team cos i am just fresh out of school. How do u think i can progress with this role.?

Original post by Hellacat
x
Reply 6
Original post by Sena5

I have got an offer to start a admin job documentation in finance team cos i am just fresh out of school. How do u think i can progress with this role.?

It depends - Im assuming you dont already have an ACCA qualification, and you're thinking of studying it?
Original post by Sena5

Fresh out of school? You have started your ACCA?
Reply 8
Original post by Reidy5
It depends - Im assuming you dont already have an ACCA qualification, and you're thinking of studying it?

Original post by Hellacat12
x

Yes, sorry I am going to begin ACCA from JUly.
I just wanted to know what are the study paths after acca.
I heard MBA was what we have to do after ACCA, but still needed advise to know what is the better choice for career. Yes, I am a school leaver
Reply 9
Original post by Sena5
I heard MBA was what we have to do after ACCA, but still needed advise to know what is the better choice for career. Yes, I am a school leaver

Well an MBA is for top level business management - so if you're looking to become an FD/MD via the accounts route then go for an MBA after your accounts qualification. But you would need some form of managerial experience to take an MBA, so that would be quite a few years down the line. If that is what you want, then I would also recommend you look into CIMA instead of ACCA - management accounts are far more suited to senior positions. But think carefully - management accountants arent as common as financial accountants (financial accounting is required by law, management accounting isn't), but that also means management accountants are better paid.

Both ACCA and CIMA take a lot of work, so you'd need to be willing to sacrifice a lot of free time to do it! But experience is very important for accountancy. So if you're able to get a job straight out of school, you'd be off to a good start!
Original post by Sena5

ACCA is a good option if you want to pursue auditing and Financial/Cost Accounting.
After ACCA you can get any financial qualification or degree and a few exemptions from exams too, this will circulate your career process. But I strictly recommend to not apply for Masters because it isn't worth it, the stuff you are going to learn and prepare for during ACCA is far advanced than a Masters in a Finance Accounting.
There is no compulsion for doing a MBA, anyone can apply for it after they have done their bachelors or have a qualification. MBA is like a fast track route for Managerial posts, in your respective fields. But after ACCA or CIMA you really don't need to bother with an MBA since you are a different class. However, many students still do it to secure themselves with better jobs and pay benefits. MBA will be one really easy for you.

I am going to start my CIMA in July, it's also a very decent option if you want to be a Management Accountant, it is more flexible than ACCA and adaptable to the changing Business Environment. Also, it provides a very favourable exemption from ACMA and CGMA.
Original post by Reidy5
Well an MBA is for top level business management - so if you're looking to become an FD/MD via the accounts route then go for an MBA after your accounts qualification. But you would need some form of managerial experience to take an MBA, so that would be quite a few years down the line. If that is what you want, then I would also recommend you look into CIMA instead of ACCA - management accounts are far more suited to senior positions. But think carefully - management accountants arent as common as financial accountants (financial accounting is required by law, management accounting isn't), but that also means management accountants are better paid.

Both ACCA and CIMA take a lot of work, so you'd need to be willing to sacrifice a lot of free time to do it! But experience is very important for accountancy. So if you're able to get a job straight out of school, you'd be off to a good start!

I also recommend this because it is a very good strategy of you want to finish with your qualification early and get a good job right after you pass your last exam, both CIMA and ACCA require a 3 year experience and you have to give the last exam of CIMA after this time spent as a trainee, hence if you cumulate it with your studies as soon as possible, you will be over with it earlier than than the average time taken. However, these qualifications are not a piece of cake, you will need to be very regular and consistent with your studies and try not to fail your exams, specially the last papers which will test more than what you can learn out of text books.
Reply 12
I also recommend this because it is a very good strategy of you want to finish with your qualification early and get a good job right after you pass your last exam, both CIMA and ACCA require a 3 year experience and you have to give the last exam of CIMA after this time spent as a trainee, hence if you cumulate it with your studies as soon as possible, you will be over with it earlier than than the average time taken. However, these qualifications are not a piece of cake, you will need to be very regular and consistent with your studies and try not to fail your exams, specially the last papers which will test more than what you can learn out of text books.

So is CIMA better than ACCA?

Should I do cima instead of acca?

Original post by Reidy5
x
Original post by Sena5
So is CIMA better than ACCA?

Should I do cima instead of acca?

I wouldn't say which one is better. It depends on what type of Accountant you want to be in the future.
Reply 14
I wouldn't say which one is better. It depends on what type of Accountant you want to be in the future.

Then what is the difference between acca and cima?

i plan to be an accountant who could work in accounting,finance and banking fields
Original post by Sena5
Then what is the difference between acca and cima?

i plan to be an accountant who could work in accounting,finance and banking fields

ACCA is designed for Cost, Financial Accountants and Taxation whose main classification is among Auditors, Bank Accountants and Finance Managers (if they are lucky enough to land on a managerial post) It is relatively

Whereas CIMA is designed for Management Accountants, for strategic and decision making purposes, you can land a job the same as those of ACCAs but with added advantage of management consultancy.

If you want to work in practice or focus more on auditing or tax ACA or ACCA is the path. For strategic work (management consultancy)CIMA is the path.

Some people take ACCA first and get exemptions for CIMA later, then you will only have to give few CIMA papers, you can give them both one after the another. It all depends on your ambition too and your financial position at the moment. Both are high in demand, in the UK.

You can research for yourself:
http://www.cimaglobal.com
http://www.accaglobal.com/pk/en.html
Reply 16
ACCA is designed for Cost, Financial Accountants and Taxation whose main classification is among Auditors, Bank Accountants and Finance Managers (if they are lucky enough to land on a managerial post) It is relatively

Whereas CIMA is designed for Management Accountants, for strategic and decision making purposes, you can land a job the same as those of ACCAs but with added advantage of management consultancy.

If you want to work in practice or focus more on auditing or tax ACA or ACCA is the path. For strategic work (management consultancy)CIMA is the path.

Some people take ACCA first and get exemptions for CIMA later, then you will only have to give few CIMA papers, you can give them both one after the another. It all depends on your ambition too and your financial position at the moment. Both are high in demand, in the UK.

You can research for yourself:
http://www.cimaglobal.com
http://www.accaglobal.com/pk/en.html

i REALLY APPReciate your support. I have got a job offer. They told me to work for as an admin for 2 years and then move to finance role. So what do u think is the best choice for me?
I am a very experienced ACCA teacher and I teach extremely well. I can tutor you from the beginning of ACCA over skype and you will pay me after each class.

Feel free to contact me.

Skype me on Skype at: ACCA Skype Tutor
or Facebook me at: Last Discovery

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending