The Student Room Group

Economics or Electronic Engineering or Computer Science

May someone please help me choose? I need to start writing a personal statement but simply cannot decide what I want to do.
Original post by Kolasinac138
May someone please help me choose? I need to start writing a personal statement but simply cannot decide what I want to do.

No-one can help you choose until you at least give a vague indication of what your interests are and what you want to do as a career...
Original post by Smack
No-one can help you choose until you at least give a vague indication of what your interests are and what you want to do as a career...

As a career I'm not sure, preferably an entreprenuer of some sort

I have interests in mathematics and economics, but also physics to some extent - though I wonder what the difficulty and job prospects for EE or CS are comapred to economics and how useful they will be in the future.
Reply 3

I have interests in mathematics and economics, but also physics to some extent - though I wonder what the difficulty and job prospects for EE or CS are comapred to economics and how useful they will be in the future.

how much do you like physics? Because there is a hella lot of physics in EE
Original post by a10
how much do you like physics? Because there is a hella lot of physics in EE

It's okay, I don't like applied circuits though, or the kirchoff laws and stuff. I'm leaning towards systems engineering electronic engineering.

Is there anything that can help me decide?
Reply 5
It's okay, I don't like applied circuits though, or the kirchoff laws and stuff. I'm leaning towards systems engineering electronic engineering.

Is there anything that can help me decide?

Im afraid if you don't like that stuff then don't do Electronic Engineering or Computer Engineering. Those are the basics of circuits and you will be doing a lot of applications to circuits especially in electronics.
Original post by a10
Im afraid if you don't like that stuff then don't do Electronic Engineering or Computer Engineering. Those are the basics of circuits and you will be doing a lot of applications to circuits especially in electronics.

How much of it? I don't mind it that much , it's okay.

How is Computer Science v Economics in a matchup?
Reply 7
How much of it? I don't mind it that much , it's okay.

How is Computer Science v Economics in a matchup?

Computer science is in much higher in demand, because there is a huge shortage of programmers/computer engineers/electronics engineers in general especially with the global market being based more around computers.

As to how much of it you will do well I would imagine a lot, you are pretty much always going to use the basics in one way or another i.e. kirchoff's laws, voltage,resistance, current, oscilloscopes & wave signals ,capacitance,logic gates etc.
It's okay, I don't like applied circuits though, or the kirchoff laws and stuff. I'm leaning towards systems engineering electronic engineering

Stay away from electronic engineering then.

I'd probably say computer science for you. A lot of entrepreneurs studied it and aren't doing too badly for themselves, so I'm seeing the correlation between the two. Computer scientists are in short supply so they're extremely employable.
Original post by Mike_123
I'd probably say computer science for you. A lot of entrepreneurs studied it and aren't doing too badly for themselves, so I'm seeing the correlation between the two. Computer scientists are in short supply so they're extremely employable.

really? But how valuable a skill is programming and the like really? It seems a little useless to me compared to other subjects such as economics
really? But how valuable a skill is programming and the like really? It seems a little useless to me compared to other subjects such as economics

I'm not too knowledgable about computer science, but you can have a look at some future options here
Which one is higher salary - CS or EE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending