The Student Room Group

Dont understand student finance at all

My Student Finance says I need to give them my bank details. I went to Santander today and they said I need to provide them with a student card or something else. Obviously I'm not in uni yet so how can I do that? I need to make a bank account so I can finish my student finance application, but I can't do that until I've received a letter of acceptance or something. I thought everyone else had done their student finance by now, how did they do it when none of them has been accepted into uni yet?
Reply 1
Original post by awkwardshortguy
My Student Finance says I need to give them my bank details. I went to Santander today and they said I need to provide them with a student card or something else. Obviously I'm not in uni yet so how can I do that? I need to make a bank account so I can finish my student finance application, but I can't do that until I've received a letter of acceptance or something. I thought everyone else had done their student finance by now, how did they do it when none of them has been accepted into uni yet?

I have this problem however I have just added my normal account that I use already, I will switch to a student account once I get my results (I believe they will open the account with the letter of confirmation) and hopefully according to Student Finance my payments should be payed in on time.

I would call Student Finance for the best call of action.
I used my other account when I was applying to SF, after results day I applied for a student account at Santander and changed my bank details on SF after I got my new account.
Give them my bank account number :tongue:

On a serious note, student bank account is not compulsory requirement. If you don't have a current account (even a very basic) then contact with different high street banks they will open it for you provided you don't have CCJ against you.

Good luck.
I know my child opened an account with Santander before they left for university so they must have accepted something other than a student card. A print out from UCAS showing your offer is confirmed should be enough, You won't have that until results day but you can open any sort of account now (savings account with a building society will do) and change the details later.
Original post by parentlurker
I know my child opened an account with Santander before they left for university so they must have accepted something other than a student card. A print out from UCAS showing your offer is confirmed should be enough, You won't have that until results day but you can open any sort of account now (savings account with a building society will do) and change the details later.

Oh, are you sure a savings account works? If so that is great. I apparently have one.

I have another question. I sent the application away before May 30. However my bank details are unfilled to this day, and my parents didn't fill in the forms they were emailed until after May 30.
May 30 was some sort of deadline. Did the forms have to be filled and bank account details entered by May 30? Will I not be sent a maintenance loan to my bank account in time for entering university because of this?
Oh, are you sure a savings account works? If so that is great. I apparently have one.

I have another question. I sent the application away before May 30. However my bank details are unfilled to this day, and my parents didn't fill in the forms they were emailed until after May 30.
May 30 was some sort of deadline. Did the forms have to be filled and bank account details entered by May 30? Will I not be sent a maintenance loan to my bank account in time for entering university because of this?

Your saving account will have a sort code and account number so you could have your finance paid into it but paying money to your university would be more tricky. So change the details to your student bank account when you open it.

It's possible that your money will arrive late as your forms weren't on time. Universities will normally accept payment late as long as you can show that proof that you have applied but you'll need some money to live on. Even late applicants normally get money by Christmas but you may need an overdraft until then. If you/ your parents haven't done the forms yet get a move on.

My friend applied a few months ago, and she doesn't have any type of bank account. She put her Mum's on, and is going to make an account after she get the letter. You can change it later so you could put your parent's account.

Quick Reply

Latest