The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
I'm sorry what?

It's actually pathetic people focusing on a measly FA cup win, last time Chelsea won the FA cup I was thinking it was a warm up game for the CL final, only liked it because we beat the scousers that season. :lol:

Maybe actually focus on the things that matter, the CL and the prem. But I guess qualifying for both competitions is the peak of your ambitions for the most part.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
It's actually pathetic people focusing on a measly FA cup win, last time Chelsea won the FA cup I was thinking it was a warm up game for the CL final, only liked it because we beat the scousers that season. :lol:

The reason people are mentioning it is because of all the "reasonable, well thought out opinions" of the WUMs on this thread. You complain that people are biased against you when you're just as biased against Arsenal. After 9 years of the no trophy digs we finally win one only for the same people to find any excuse to criticise us for actually winning one. We know it's not the PL or the CL. Thanks for your insight in pointing that one out.
Original post by jam278

Maybe actually focus on the things that matter, the CL and the prem. But I guess qualifying for both competitions is the peak of your ambitions for the most part.

It's funny that the same people that put down us winning the FA Cup are those who wouldn't stop blabbering on about 9 years etc. Yes, the FA Cup is a relatively **** trophy these days but the euphoria of winning it has only been heightened by seeing the bitterness and squirming of some on this forum, it's actually 'so peak' #ja #inb4 #gassed
Original post by jam278

The FA might be measly to a plastic Chelsea fan but winning the FA Cup is part of Arsenal tradition. We're joint top winners now, that because we have a history of success.

I'll never forget the immense pride and happiness I felt on that day, no one will ever take that away from me.

I bet the reason you justify the important of winning the Prem or CL because that's the way people will take a little club like Chelsea remotely serious. No matter how many trophies you win Chelsea football club will still be universally hated and despised small team. You can't buy class, keep on trying.
Original post by De Chirico
The reason people are mentioning it is because of all the "reasonable, well thought out opinions" of the WUMs on this thread. You complain that people are biased against you when you're just as biased against Arsenal. After 9 years of the no trophy digs we finally win one only for the same people to find any excuse to criticise us for actually winning one. We know it's not the PL or the CL. Thanks for your insight in pointing that one out.

I'm not actually biased against Arsenal though. I even congratulated you for winning the FA cup but is the FA cup really enough for a club like Arsenal? You're obviously going to try and build on that but it's a start or means to an end and that's it.

For me, the FA cup is now a stepping stone trophy for the big clubs or an attempt at some glory for the ****ter teams in the division. Financially it means nothing as well in comparison to qualifying for CL, finishing 4th and winning FA cup is a decent season anyway and that's it. If you put together a good CL run too(semis) or won Europa then could say that you had a good season.

However I repeat, I am not biased against Arsenal, I am a fan of football. It's why I watch the world cup besides not even liking the whole process.
Reply 8725
The FA might be measly to a plastic Chelsea fan but winning the FA Cup is part of Arsenal tradition. We're joint top winners now, that because we have a history of success.

I'll never forget the immense pride and happiness I felt on that day, no one will ever take that away from me.

I bet the reason you justify the important of winning the Prem or CL because that's the way people will take a little club like Chelsea remotely serious. No matter how many trophies you win Chelsea football club will still be universally hated and despised small team. You can't buy class, keep on trying.

Ah man. What a class post. Difference between a true football fan & a plastic one

Why are you being so defensive.

See my post. The FA cup is nothing to shout home about. It's a stepping stone, if somebody told Wenger you'll only win one FA cup in 9 years at Arsenal you think he'd be happy?

Now tell him he'd win a CL at the end of that barren run or 2 PLs on the bounce. Which one would you be more happy about? Those two or the FA cup?

Just telling the truth, I have no Anti-Arsenal agenda and I can see that the witch hunt has began.
Original post by EmperorMustard
It's funny that the same people that put down us winning the FA Cup are those who wouldn't stop blabbering on about 9 years etc. Yes, the FA Cup is a relatively **** trophy these days but the euphoria of winning it has only been heightened by seeing the bitterness and squirming of some on this forum, it's actually 'so peak' #ja #inb4 #gassed

Aka, you're agreeing with me but you're still trying to make an argument over valid points.

I apologise for the dig but it was just pathetic showing a picture of Wenger winning 1 FA cup in a trophy barren 9 years as a response to somebody saying that Wenger doesn't win much nowadays.

Again I've said well done for winning the trophy, but it's a means to an end, a stepping stone, like how City won the FA cup in 2011 e.g. and won the league the next year.
Original post by American Boy
inb4 I post picture of 5 CL trophies and say u mirin

but no congrats for winning a trophy. will you build on it? nah. Why not? because wenger is 'astute' not 'impulsive'. Just as this last decade he's managed to keep you 'stable' not 'stagnating'.

And in the last decade we have built a whole new modern stadium costing about £400m.
The loan meant that we had to pay about £30m each year in interest alone, therefore resulting in the club having to make around that much in profit each year. It wasn't easy either, we had to sell off players who were important to the team and who were liked by the fans.

It's quite an achievement that we've stayed in the top 4 for all these years while rebuilding the squad and losing good players, we've even challenged for the league on occasions but fell a bit short in the end. In the last 10 years, Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, have all finished outside the top 4 at least once, showing how hard that task can be.
Anyway waiting for 419 to make an obscure comment, or for Zurich to pop up in the Chelsea thread making an inflammatory statement.
Original post by PGtips
And in the last decade we have built a whole new modern stadium costing about £400m.
The loan meant that we had to pay about £30m each year in interest alone, therefore resulting in the club having to make around that much in profit each year. It wasn't easy either, we had to sell off players who were important to the team and who were liked by the fans.

It's quite an achievement that we've stayed in the top 4 for all these years while rebuilding the squad and losing good players, we've even challenged for the league on occasions but fell a bit short in the end. In the last 10 years, Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, have all finished outside the top 4 at least once, showing how hard that task can be.

Well done to Arsenal, when times came tough financially for Liverpool they spent a 3 year absence in the CL e.g.

I disagree on top 4 being an achievement until about 2010. Until 2009 it was clear that there were 4 teams for 4 spots, then it became 6 teams for 4 spots. Now it's 5 teams for 4 spots now. Possibly 6 if Pochettino can get Spurs clicking.
Original post by jam278
I'm not actually biased against Arsenal though. I even congratulated you for winning the FA cup but is the FA cup really enough for a club like Arsenal? You're obviously going to try and build on that but it's a start or means to an end and that's it.

For me, the FA cup is now a stepping stone trophy for the big clubs or an attempt at some glory for the ****ter teams in the division. Financially it means nothing as well in comparison to qualifying for CL, finishing 4th and winning FA cup is a decent season anyway and that's it. If you put together a good CL run too(semis) or won Europa then could say that you had a good season.

However I repeat, I am not biased against Arsenal, I am a fan of football. It's why I watch the world cup besides not even liking the whole process.

Loads of people hide behind the 'fan of football' argument. Maybe you are more subtle than other people but you are still clearly pushing an agenda.

You can downplay it all you like but given the recent history of Arsenal FC, winning the FA cup has to be seen as a successful season. Whether we actually make progress from here is a different matter entirely.
Loads of people hide behind the 'fan of football' argument. Maybe you are more subtle than other people but you are still clearly pushing an agenda.

You can downplay it all you like but given the recent history of Arsenal FC, winning the FA cup has to be seen as a successful season. Whether we actually make progress from here is a different matter entirely.

Way I see it, sorry if it may sound bias as I do not want to be biased, but winning the FA cup to me is like beating your mate 1-0 on FIFA after he's beaten you 6-7 times in a row with ease. What you do next ofc is beat him some more and start thrashing him. That's what I feel Arsenal should do. Win some more FA cups, win bigger trophies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Aka, you're agreeing with me but you're still trying to make an argument over valid points.

I apologise for the dig but it was just pathetic showing a picture of Wenger winning 1 FA cup in a trophy barren 9 years as a response to somebody saying that Wenger doesn't win much nowadays.

Again I've said well done for winning the trophy, but it's a means to an end, a stepping stone, like how City won the FA cup in 2011 e.g. and won the league the next year.

The actual quote was 'not like wenger to ever focus on winning things is it'. To make that statement about a manager who has won plenty of trophies makes it plain wrong. Let alone saying it a month after Wenger won the FA cup.
The actual quote was 'not like wenger to ever focus on winning things is it'. To make that statement about a manager who has won plenty of trophies makes it plain wrong. Let alone saying it a month after Wenger won the FA cup.

In the context he's saying, he's using the recent past, like with Brian Clough, people would be talking about the barren spell from 1980-92 and not the 2 ECs he won with them if they were talking about his failures.

If Wenger retired today everybody would be talking about the unbeaten season rather than the 9 years without a trophy though. People look at this with nostalgia.
Original post by jam278
Way I see it, sorry if it may sound bias as I do not want to be biased, but winning the FA cup to me is like beating your mate 1-0 on FIFA after he's beaten you 6-7 times in a row with ease. What you do next ofc is beat him some more and start thrashing him. That's what I feel Arsenal should do. Win some more FA cups, win bigger trophies.

In what way is it like playing FIFA? I could just say that Chelsea's recent successes are like playing Football Manager with infinite transfer budget. You can keep on making silly analogies if you like, it adds nothing to your argument.

Yes we all want to go on and win more trophies but in the context of the season just gone, winning the FA Cup is a big success for the club. If we had bottled the final, which we nearly did, the criticism would have been intense. Therefore to downplay the club's achievement in winning it is blatant double standards.
In what way is it like playing FIFA? I could just say that Chelsea's recent successes are like playing Football Manager with infinite transfer budget. You can keep on making silly analogies if you like, it adds nothing to your argument.

Yes we all want to go on and win more trophies but in the context of the season just gone, winning the FA Cup is a big success for the club. If we had bottled the final, which we nearly did, the criticism would have been intense. Therefore to downplay the club's achievement in winning it is blatant double standards.

Yes, it was currently easier for Chelsea to win trophies than Arsenal and I would have agreed with your analogy were it not currently for FFP. It means that we have to actually be responsible financially, you have the likes of Zurich/Emperor Mustard saying that hard times will come for us now, so we'll see how that works.

In context of the season just gone, you bottled a healthy 5 or so point lead to nearly missing out on CL qualification and while the route to the final was tough, struggled to beat Wigan over 120mins(yes they beat City but it's still Wigan) and were about to pull off a feat even less manageable than the league cup in 2011. City did the same thing too I guess.
Original post by jam278
Yes, it was currently easier for Chelsea to win trophies than Arsenal and I would have agreed with your analogy were it not currently for FFP. It means that we have to actually be responsible financially, you have the likes of Zurich/Emperor Mustard saying that hard times will come for us now, so we'll see how that works.

In context of the season just gone, you bottled a healthy 5 or so point lead to nearly missing out on CL qualification and while the route to the final was tough, struggled to beat Wigan over 120mins(yes they beat City but it's still Wigan) and were about to pull off a feat even less manageable than the league cup in 2011. City did the same thing too I guess.

We struggled against Wigan, sure. You rarely see a team win a trophy without struggling and getting away with playing poorly at some point along the way. The way we bottled it in the league was disappointing but looking at the overall picture, finishing 7 points behind the leaders isn't that bad.

It's obvious Wenger is still building the team after years of financial constraints so finishing the league 6 points higher than 2012/13 and winning a cup is surely a successful season.
We struggled against Wigan, sure. You rarely see a team win a trophy without struggling and getting away with playing poorly at some point along the way. The way we bottled it in the league was disappointing but looking at the overall picture, finishing 7 points behind the leaders isn't that bad.

It's obvious Wenger is still building the team after years of financial constraints so finishing the league 6 points higher than 2012/13 and winning a cup is surely a successful season.

It's successful, but doesn't make it a good season. Success can be relative, would you say that Chelsea winning the europa league with the strongest team by far and gaining 9 points in 2012-13 was a good season, even if it was clearly a successful season?
Original post by jam278
It's successful, but doesn't make it a good season. Success can be relative, would you say that Chelsea winning the europa league with the strongest team by far and gaining 9 points in 2012-13 was a good season, even if it was clearly a successful season?

I agree that success is relative. I think you're judging Arsenal by too high a standard for where the team actually is at the moment.

Latest