The Student Room Group

British jihadis fighting abroad a long-term terror threat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27960816

Why does it feel that the Government actually isn't doing a lot about this? How have so many been allowed to return? Why aren't people who come from Syria immediately stopped at the airport and investigated? Why aren't we suspending the passports of anyone who goes and fights out there?
Reply 1
One of the things about the British is that we aren't as loud on our security measures as our American friends. But it is worrying when a former senior intelligence officer says that we do not have the resources to keep tabs on all returning Jihadists.

I would support stripping British citizenship from anyone who goes to fight in Syria for any terrorist organisation but the fact is to do this you must have evidence and which in most cases is hard to attain or prove someone is guilty. These returning jihadists will be a threat to this country as they have likely learnt how to make improvised weapons and could use this to launch an attack at home.
Hopefully they'll be killed in battle whilst abroad :smile:
Plenty of them won't come back, not long term anyway. Talk to a lot of soldiers they will tell you its a rush, a high and excitement that you won't repeat. I think a large portion of these guys will simply look for the next area to conduct their little journey until they get killed. Many of those that do will have, to put it bluntly 'grown up', I think Islamic extremism is probably much like white supremacy, islamic conversion or such. Often short term phases for people.
Original post by Fizzel
Plenty of them won't come back, not long term anyway. Talk to a lot of soldiers they will tell you its a rush, a high and excitement that you won't repeat. I think a large portion of these guys will simply look for the next area to conduct their little journey until they get killed. Many of those that do will have, to put it bluntly 'grown up', I think Islamic extremism is probably much like white supremacy, islamic conversion or such. Often short term phases for people.

And then that still leaves a small proportion who are even more nutcase than they were before.
Original post by DorianGrayism
And then that still leaves a small proportion who are even more nutcase than they were before.
They shouldn't be too hard to keep tabs on despite what the security services say. Its not like they don't have the ability to monitor every electronic move they make.

Its an issue but I think its a lesser one than is being made out. Departments already clamouring for more resources and more powers.
Original post by Fizzel
Islamic extremist is like white supremacy? Do whites convert people to white supremacy and blow people up?White supremacy exists less than supremacy of some other races. Yet whites are called supremacists, even for wanting their basic human rights.
Reply 7
Original post by Lady Comstock
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27960816

Why does it feel that the Government actually isn't doing a lot about this? How have so many been allowed to return? Why aren't people who come from Syria immediately stopped at the airport and investigated? Why aren't we suspending the passports of anyone who goes and fights out there?

This is going to be dealt with by the police and security services. They aren't about to start releasing statements about what they plan to do to mitigate the threat from these people. Its also not as simple as stop everyone travelling from Syria. A lot of people will travel to countries bordering Syria and smuggle themselves across the border
Reply 8
Are we supposed to arrest whoever looks like a weird Muslim now?

You can't arrest people for having extremist thoughts. Else half of TSR would be investigated and locked in jail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending