The Student Room Group

Do you think that drinking alcohol will ever be as frowned upon as smoking?

Just wanted to know peoples views!

50 years ago most people smoked and smoking was at the forefront of advertising, now smoking adverts are band and cigarettes don't even have packaging. Do you ever think that alcohol will be treated like smoking is now?
I think smoking one cig is not as bad as having a glass. Over consumption is the issue. I know people who drink who don't get drunk nor become addicted. I know few people who smoke and don't become addicted and don't reap the nasty results of doing so.
Reply 2
Original post by Hula&Tequila&Me
I think smoking one cig is not as bad as having a glass. Over consumption is the issue. I know people who drink who don't get drunk nor become addicted. I know few people who smoke and don't become addicted and don't reap the nasty results of doing so.

Would you say that the long term effects of smoking are worst than that of alcohol?
Reply 3
Original post by poppyevamay
Just wanted to know peoples views!

50 years ago most people smoked and smoking was at the forefront of advertising, now smoking adverts are band and cigarettes don't even have packaging. Do you ever think that alcohol will be treated like smoking is now?

Of all the TSR phrases, I think "frowned upon" is by far the most idiotic.
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
Of all the TSR phrases, I think "frowned upon" is by far the most idiotic.

Why thank you
The reason it won't is because of it's mind altering effects, most people love that, especially when it's used in moderation. Smoking does nothing for you, it's a moronic habit
Original post by bertstare
The reason it won't is because of it's mind altering effects, most people love that, especially when it's used in moderation. Smoking does nothing for you, it's a moronic habit

Not true. It satiates my nicotine cravings.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Not true. It satiates my nicotine cravings.

Case in point
This is a bit anecdotal but when I was in college and when I was working at McDonald's the fact that I didn't smoke was frowned upon.
I neither smoke or drink... I'm just too good for it.I don't need to inject chemicals into my body to have fun,drinking and smoking make you age faster and will give you manys forms of cancer,the only people who drink and smoke are the boring ones.
Well given small amount of alcohol is considered good for you, and tobacco is the only legally available drug that even used in moderation harms the user, no.
It's horrible! Smoking effects both you and the people around you. I'm never going to smoke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably not, but it should be.
Reply 13
Original post by Doflamingo
I neither smoke or drink... I'm just too good for it.I don't need to inject chemicals into my body to have fun,drinking and smoking make you age faster and will give you manys forms of cancer,the only people who drink and smoke are the boring ones.

Good! But it's definitely not because they ate boring, that is a very foolish and lazy statement to make, because, at least with alcohol, it givea you a different sensation etc. But ypu can probably just google why do peoplw like alcohol! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gwilym101
Well given small amount of alcohol is considered good for you, and tobacco is the only legally available drug that even used in moderation harms the user, no.

I'm not sure this is true, that a small amount of alcohol is good for you. There are studies that suggest drinking red wine in moderation is beneficial in preventing certain diseases later in life. But this is due to other components in the wine, specifically flavinoids that you can find just as easily in non alcoholic beverages. What is known, is that alcohol is a carcinogen so you would expect even small quantities are likely to increase the risk of getting certain forms of cancer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending