The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Need some feedback on something that is troubling me, I have offers for PhD from Australian National University and The University of Bristol. SG here.

Anyone studied from both unis? Any views or comments about which would you recommend?
Reply 4001
Hey guyz! Anybody doing LLB law at Leicester University from this sept??
Original post by Narev
Assassin's guild is fun! I got attacked by someone with a toy lightsabre :frown:, but not before I killed off two other people with a poison letter and poison food. Apparently, telling your victim(s) that: "Hey, I have a letter for you" (and drawing it with hearts), or saying: "I lived here last year, could I enter and check my mail. Oh yeah, do you want to share this sandwich?" help an aspiring assassin.

But yeah, there are lots of fun societies at Warwick. There's hiphop, Airsoft, Detective Society, CIF, ...

Oh that reminds me - go join an Asian Society for discount cards :P I'm not sure which societies have discount cards now - but usually these discount cards give you 10% off (or more) at a lot of restaurants / takeaways / buffets in Coventry.

OMG POISON LETTER AND POISON FOOD. I didn't think of this direction!!! I am brimming with ideas now goshgoshgosh. DO YOU HAVE MORE IDEAS :p:p:p:p:tongue: Maybe I could offer someone poisoned tissue or... heeheeheehee. How do you, label food "poisoned food"? Don't you have to label it?

mehh, I think I'll just join the International Orientation this year bah. Do you (or anyone else) know if we qualify for British Airway's student discount? Like, the cheaper fare and extra baggage allowance? Some people told me that it's only for students studying in London, and then some other website says it's only for flights that start from India, I'm kinda very confused... And pre-departure isn't gonna happen until another two weeks lol.
Reply 4003
Original post by littlesheepfiona
OMG POISON LETTER AND POISON FOOD. I didn't think of this direction!!! I am brimming with ideas now goshgoshgosh. DO YOU HAVE MORE IDEAS :p:p:p:p:tongue: Maybe I could offer someone poisoned tissue or... heeheeheehee. How do you, label food "poisoned food"? Don't you have to label it?

mehh, I think I'll just join the International Orientation this year bah. Do you (or anyone else) know if we qualify for British Airway's student discount? Like, the cheaper fare and extra baggage allowance? Some people told me that it's only for students studying in London, and then some other website says it's only for flights that start from India, I'm kinda very confused... And pre-departure isn't gonna happen until another two weeks lol.

Haha I'm more of an indirect assassin than a direct assassin - probably would have more if I didn't get killed by a lightsabre. I usually like a note that says:

"This is poisoned food.
No really, we're assassins
Isn't this more cool than a direct attack like a Nerf gun?"

I'm not sure about the British Airway's student discount actually. Don't remember having a discount, but I tried to squeeze everything into one check in baggage / 2 check in luggages. The people at Changi are nice though (for students at least) - my bag was slightly over the maximum weight but they let it through.

Is the pre-departure at Marriott? Kinda wish I was back in SG - the hotels usually give very good buffets for pre-departure events, and Mavis is nice enough to close one eye when you sneak in as an alumni for dinner..though she'd probably want you to give an impromptu speech / talk with parents / incoming students after.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey there! Any locals studying in UK able to advice me on which universities are reputable (for engineering) as I am interested in doing an exchange in UK during AY15/16 semester 2.

It might be a little early as it is probably 2 years away but application in NUS is starting soon (we have to apply 1.5yrs earlier) and I do not want to be bothered by exchange problems during semester!

My purpose for exchange are to:
- Map engineering modules over (else I have to do tough core modules back here!)
- Tour Europe (hence it is preferred the university is accessible to airports/trains for travelling)
- Internship (I am thinking of securing a summer internship after finishing exchange in UK, not sure if it is possible though; any advice will be great!!)
Hey guys, anyone going to Bristol to do law this year? :smile:
Anyone going to Exeter this coming September? :smile:
Hey Singaporeans!

I am thinking of studying Computer Science at Cambridge. Well, putting prestige (and chim-ness) aside, I fell in love with the Computer Science curriculum, mainly due to its emphasis on theoretical/core foundations in CS, rather than the practical aspects of it.

Anyways, from the country-specific application statistics, Cambridge states that its typical offer is AAAA at H2 level. However, I only took 3H2, 1H1 and 1H3 (all distinctions). Would they still accept my qualifications? Anyone who (or knows a person who) got an offer to study Cambridge with only 3H2 and 1H1 subjects? I have sent an e-mail to the colleges I shortlisted and I am still awaiting replies.

I'm also quite anxious about the interview (if I get shortlisted) as, since I am male, I have forgotten what I studied in JC, due to NS. :P I've also heard that interviews in Singapore also include a TSA essay. Is that true?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kjke1
Need some feedback on something that is troubling me, I have offers for PhD from Australian National University and The University of Bristol. SG here.

Anyone studied from both unis? Any views or comments about which would you recommend?

what field would you be doing your PhD in?
President- Conjunct Consulting https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/25958905
Conjunct Consulting is Southeast Asia’s first nonprofit pro bono intermediary engaging, mobilising, and empowering pro bono talent to strengthen social good organisations. Over the past 3 years, Conjunct has provided 48 consulting projects over 39 nonprofits in partnership with corporates and government.
Hello, I am a third year student from the University of Chichester in England. I was wondering if any of you could please help me with my dissertation by filling out my exciting online survey. I desperately need Asian/South East Asian participants, as my dissertation aims to explore the differences in how Easterners and Westerners perceive a scene. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://chichpscyh.eu.qualtrics.com/S...JyH8BI6bmmeQXX

Many thanks!
Reply 4011
Hi all. I'm planning to study Television Production in Middlesex University and I've been offered a place. I'm assuming that most of you in this thread are already students in the UK. I'd like some advice in regards to bank loans and if you've gotten some money out, how much and how did you manage to pay the loans during your time of study?

Yes, yes, I know Television Production is a lame course and quite stupid to study overseas. But I am very interested in media, and I am aware that Singapore's media industry is small and limited, thus I'd like to study overseas, and hopefully if things go well, I might even migrate (but many things can happen in 3 years, so who knows).
Any Singaporeans holding offers from UCL for entry this year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i got offers from loughborough university, Central saint martins and Birmingham city in product/ industrial design area. anybody fellow Singaporean going UK for design this year? :smile:
Original post by amritsg
Any Singaporeans holding offers from UCL for entry this year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sup! I'll be going to UCL this September! Can't wait :biggrin:
Any Singaporeans applied to do PhD in UK this year? (I Did)
Hello! Are there any Singaporean UCL medical students (current/prospective)? :biggrin:
Hi fellow Singaporeans!

To those who will be starting university overseas soon, this might be a useful read for you!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/lionel-tye/overseas-student-insurance-have-i-got-myself-covered/10153089995414303?pnref=story

Do feel free to email me at [email protected] or PM me should you be interested to know more. :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 4018
Original post by Klearcut
Hey there! Any locals studying in UK able to advice me on which universities are reputable (for engineering) as I am interested in doing an exchange in UK during AY15/16 semester 2.

It might be a little early as it is probably 2 years away but application in NUS is starting soon (we have to apply 1.5yrs earlier) and I do not want to be bothered by exchange problems during semester!

My purpose for exchange are to:
- Map engineering modules over (else I have to do tough core modules back here!)
- Tour Europe (hence it is preferred the university is accessible to airports/trains for travelling)
- Internship (I am thinking of securing a summer internship after finishing exchange in UK, not sure if it is possible though; any advice will be great!!)

What will be the status of your visa? Getting a summer internship as an international full-time student on a Tier 4 student visa is already very challenging, not to mention applying as an exchange student.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am a student who took Singapore A-Level and have applied through UCAS. I got my conditional offer from Uni of Manchester Mechanical Eng. asking for AAB including Physics and Math in SIPCAL-which stands for Singapore A Level.

Now here is the interesting part.

A you can see, the offer from Manchester did not specify if the AAB is for H1 level or H2 level. On the other hand, another offer I got from Bristol, has specified I need AAA at H2 level. So I thought Manchester dont care about H1 and H2 **** and I went to reply to the offer as my firm choice, only to find out that the uni has actually made a mistake and forgot to indicate that the grades are for H2 level. My results are AAC/A for Math, Physics, Econs (all at H2) and H1 Chem. I have ringed to the uni and they said I will get my result on Tuesday, admitting it's their mistake.

Do you guys think I have a chance? Is there anything else I can do to increase my chance? Well this is redundant but I am applying for engineering so is there any chance that my H1 chem can cover for H2 Econ which is only a grade short?

I am having the worst of the time from the best of time... Help me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending