The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roger1
Maybe people like the way he plays.

So what? You put the best matches on centre and give the top 10 players a fair share of time on the show courts. It's obvious Dimitrov is being treated as the heir-apparent of Federer and as a result the organisers are having a jerk off over him. Dimitrov, unlike Federer hasn't done anything yet to deserve this kind of treatment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
Nadal's fist pumps are absolutely grotesque. Looking forward to the day when I won't have to see them ever again.

Then don't watch his matches. IT's as simple as that. You have absolutely nothing good to say about him ever and it's nauseating to see this thread taken over by your posts continually picking on him. I don't like certain players but I don't overflow this thread and **** on their enjoyment of their favourite players because of an irrational hatred.
Original post by Sirocco11
So what? You put the best matches on centre and give the top 10 players a fair share of time on the show courts. It's obvious Dimitrov is being treated as the heir-apparent of Federer and as a result the organisers are having a jerk off over him like they do with Federer.

He is the future star and has a good exciting game and he is popular with the fans. Tsonga is ranked below him and no one wants to see ball basher Birdick.
Original post by Ashnard
Nadal's fist pumps are absolutely grotesque. Looking forward to the day when I won't have to see them ever again.

He is way over the top with his celebrations, isn't he? It's not the final FFS.
Original post by Roger1

Tbh I thought it was okay because he was a set down and he didn't want to make a complete hash of it like last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
Tbh I thought it was okay because he was a set down and he didn't want to make a complete hash of it like last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah probably.
Original post by Roger1
He is the future star and has a good exciting game and he is popular with the fans. Tsonga is ranked below him and no one wants to see ball basher Birdick.

Tsonga being ranked below him has nothing to do with it - he's as popular and as well known as Dimitrov. It's about what potentially are going to be the best matches. Berdych is playing Tomic, which should be a more interesting fixture than Dimitrov-Saville.
Tsonga being ranked below him has nothing to do with it - he's as popular and as well known as Dimitrov. It's about what potentially are going to be the best matches. Berdych is playing Tomic, which should be a more interesting fixture than Dimitrov-Saville.

I'm pretty excited for berdych vs Tomic. That has the potential to be really good.

I could have sworn that tomic used to be quite highly ranked. What happened to him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter who plays where. Federer being the 7 times champion opened on court 1 whereas Nadal who has gone out early in the previous 2 years opened on centre court. Federer fans didn't complain but Nadal fans just need a reason to complain about everything.
Original post by Roger1

Appreciate how badly he's played the last few years though. He was obviously pretty nervous the same thing would happen again. I don't think people appreciate how nerve wracking it is to play on your own and rely yourself, and control your emotions. I know from firsthand experience playing in tournaments what it's like, and when you win a big point you're obviously going to relieved. It all depends on the personality of the player.
So what? You put the best matches on centre and give the top 10 players a fair share of time on the show courts. It's obvious Dimitrov is being treated as the heir-apparent of Federer and as a result the organisers are having a jerk off over him. Dimitrov, unlike Federer hasn't done anything yet to deserve this kind of treatment.

My point exactly. If it was purely for the style of play Monfils would never leave CC. I'm sure the fact that he plays Murray in the QF is another reason for it. I wouldn't mind too much if he was playing well known players or at least someone in the top 50
I'm pretty excited for berdych vs Tomic. That has the potential to be really good.

I could have sworn that tomic used to be quite highly ranked. What happened to him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tomic only really plays well in Australia.
Original post by Roger1
Tomic only really plays well in Australia.

That's disappointing. Doesn't he do well at the US either?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Appreciate how badly he's played the last few years though.

Why would I appreciate that? I couldn't really care less about Nadal tbh. I'm neither a fan nor a hater so I don't care.
That's disappointing. Doesn't he do well at the US either?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only time I can remember him playing well outside of Australia was at Wimbledon 2011 when he made the QF before falling to Novak. Let's hope he can make another run like that this year. He has lot of potential but his attitude sucks.
Original post by Roger1
It doesn't matter who plays where. Federer being the 7 times champion opened on court 1 whereas Nadal who has gone out early in the previous 2 years opened on centre court. Federer fans didn't complain but Nadal fans just need a reason to complain about everything.

Right. That's a weird tangent you've gone off there. We weren't talking about them all. So you're using me to represent every Nadal fan in the world (and yourself for Federer fans). Bit of a paucity of logic there.

Let's put this back in context. Which is more likely to be the more competitive match? We know Tomic is a ****ing headcase, but he's shown ability with his QF here 3 years ago and Berdych is a former finalist. Dimitrov is a rising star. Saville is a virtual unknown. It won't be a match.

If you want to talk about why Federer was on no.1, and Nadal was on centre, it was actually down to the organisers picking the stronger match. Nadal's bombed out of the tournament two years in a row and Klizan ain't a dummy - he's had to 10 wins and destroyed Nishikori at the French, so they thought it would be more competitive than Federer's match against Lorenzi, an ageing Italian journeyman. I thought both of them would be on centre personally.

Anyways, intrigue for the match against Rosol. But I think Rafa will have his revenge.
Original post by Roger1
Why would I appreciate that? I couldn't really care less about Nadal tbh. I'm neither a fan nor a hater so I don't care.

Perhaps we should be asking why any of us care who wins. It's something that I frequently wonder. It doesn't make any difference to our lives (mine anyway) as to who wins or loses, I just like to see who I like win, but I don't get any money, I don't gain anything from the winners of any sport.

Even though I still love it, and care :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roger1

I don't think you understand what I mean by 'appreciate'. It doesn't mean be sympathetic about him, it means think about the circumstances/ history that impacted on what's happening in a match. I ain't asking you to like him, just to use your brain and consider what I'm saying in context rather than isolating single sentences and taking issue with them.
Perhaps we should be asking why any of us care who wins. It's something that I frequently wonder. It doesn't make any difference to our lives (mine anyway) as to who wins or loses, I just like to see who I like win, but I don't get any money, I don't gain anything from the winners of any sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get pos rep for that brah. I don't get it either. I used to make a huge deal over who won or lost, but eventually you mature and realise that after all it is just a sport and even if your charge loses it's not the end of the world. It's not worth willing other players to lose so that yours wins or hating players because of beating your own. I've never understood how people can hate sports people they've never met. It's just plain and simple irrational. If you met these people you'd realise they don't have ****ing halos around them, they're human beings (albeit exceptional ones) like everyone else.

Like you, I do care, but not enough to sulk if my player loses, and not enough to spend time hating other players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True say.

Quick Reply

Latest