The Student Room Group

Best way to get into a relationship in uni?

It's all too easy to go out 'on the pull'. But the girls/guys you meet who are willing to give it out on the first night aren't exactly what I'd call relationship material. So my question is, what is the best way to meet someone who you can develop a decent, loving relationship with at uni (who isn't a slut-bucket).

I'm sick off flings and want to settle down!

Scroll to see replies

Just live your life normally, and don't be the pathetic guy who's always going around seeking a relationship. Don't force it; if it happens it happens, if not, university isn't the only time in your life you can get into a relationship.
Reply 2
Original post by Groundearth
Just live your life normally, and don't be the pathetic guy who's always going around seeking a relationship. Don't force it; if it happens it happens, if not, university isn't the only time in your life you can get into a relationship.

I don't. I've never really wanted a serious relationship. Had a four year one in late teens. But after doing what students normally do in my first two years at uni I'd like to think I could move onto something else. Don't think that there's anything pathetic about that.
Don't get into relationships at uni, seriously biggest regret ever
Original post by Michael!
I don't. I've never really wanted a serious relationship. Had a four year one in late teens. But after doing what students normally do in my first two years at uni I'd like to think I could move onto something else. Don't think that there's anything pathetic about that.

There's nothing pathetic about wanting it, but you don't want to be actively seeking a relationship and obsessing about it. If it happens, then fine. If not, don't be preoccupied about it. Don't go out to clubs as much (which is hardly the place to meet serious people) if you don't want to. Live your life, get on with your degree, meet people through a job/volunteering/a hobby group/society or whatever, and play it out.
Reply 5
Original post by i have no name

Care to elaborate, friend?
Reply 6
Just tell every girl you a russian billionaire
Care to elaborate, friend?

You are at uni where students are getting drunk morals are loose and if you are in a relationship a girlfriend is bound to get paranoid causing drama and girls tend to be insecure here and there. Seriously wasted 2 years of uni in a relationship trying to please girlfriends and im still with one of them but I wish I had stayed single went out with friends more and not have to worry about reassuring someone

Why is that?

Just curious :smile:
I once had a similar problem. I learnt a dance that got me into a fantastic relationship.

Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Why is that?

Just curious :smile:

look above :smile:
Reply 11
You are at uni where students are getting drunk morals are loose and if you are in a relationship a girlfriend is bound to get paranoid causing drama and girls tend to be insecure here and there. Seriously wasted 2 years of uni in a relationship trying to please girlfriends and im still with one of them but I wish I had stayed single went out with friends more and not have to worry about reassuring someone

Fair enough. I'll take that on board.
Reply 12
I find that looking for something is way harder than stumbling upon something.
Just enjoy yourself at uni and go with the flow mate.
look above :smile:

Ahh I see.

But surely it depends on the woman you are in a relationship with?

Some women won't mind that kind of behaviour at all, and won't be that insecure.
Fair enough. I'll take that on board.

by all means have flings, start f**ing someone on a regular basis, but for the love of god do not call it a relationship because when that magic word gets dropped all life is over
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Ahh I see.

But surely it depends on the woman you are in a relationship with?

Some women won't mind that kind of behaviour at all, and won't be that insecure.

Most women start out like that but women all have deep insecurities, there will always be that hot good looking friend of yours she just won't like, when girls see guys drunk and getting off with girls or hear escapades from their guy friends about their drunken antics they always make it relatable to you.

Every relationship has a bit of a jealousy and it can be a good thing but in uni in your teens and early 20's it tends to be overboard for relationships that won't last.

You will also be worrying about your girlfriend being out drinking with friends and you never know one shot of vodka too many may lead to a drunken kiss with an old crush and whatnot. Morals fade the more you drink no matter what kind of person you are and you drink like the world is ending at uni.

Uni is just the wrong time for a relationship. If you really like someone at uni my advice is date casually and start a relationship after uni finishes when you are both a bit more mature
Most women start out like that but women all have deep insecurities, there will always be that hot good looking friend of yours she just won't like, when girls see guys drunk and getting off with girls or hear escapades from their guy friends about their drunken antics they always make it relatable to you.

Every relationship has a bit of a jealousy and it can be a good thing but in uni in your teens and early 20's it tends to be overboard for relationships that won't last.

You will also be worrying about your girlfriend being out drinking with friends and you never know one shot of vodka too many may lead to a drunken kiss with an old crush and whatnot. Morals fade the more you drink no matter what kind of person you are and you drink like the world is ending at uni.

Uni is just the wrong time for a relationship. If you really like someone at uni my advice is date casually and start a relationship after uni finishes when you are both a bit more mature

You make it sound like every student gets drunk and forget everything. That's not always the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by donutaud15
You make it sound like every student gets drunk and forget everything. That's not always the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. I don't even drink! I think he's stereotyping.
True. I don't even drink! I think he's stereotyping.

He is and it's not fair. Won't deny that there are plenty of students who does like to party but if you find a girl whose mature and similar to you then it shouldn't be a problem.

I spent my uni years married and the issue he's mentioned (insecurity and jealousy) has never been a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly what the other poster said; not every uni student drinks themselves to oblivion. I seriously don't see UK uni students as being that alcohol-obsessed, especially to the extent where it may affect your relationship, even (according to you) a good one.

Quick Reply

Latest