The Student Room Group

Honey glaze

How do I make honey glaze like in JD Wetherspoons? I tried a few recipes online but it didn't even come close.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would really like to help but I'm not good at anything related to the kitchen. Although, if you have a teacher in cooking or food tech, why don't you try asking them? Maybe they might know some recipes.
Original post by Firenze26
I would really like to help but I'm not good at anything related to the kitchen. Although, if you have a teacher in cooking or food tech, why don't you try asking them? Maybe they might know some recipes.

I don't have a teacher. :frown:

I wonder why this sauce hasn't been copied yet. It's so good! :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh never had it so not sure the route they go down, I assume either Honey & Soy Sauce or Brown, mustard, sugar honey? Could look for recipes, most are just 3/4 ingredients. Former more likely on salmon, chicken kebabs etc, latter more likely for gammon, pork etc.

equal amounts runny honey

equal amounts English mustard

Original post by joey11223
Tbh never had it so not sure the route they go down, I assume either Honey & Soy Sauce or Brown, mustard, sugar honey? Could look for recipes, most are just 3/4 ingredients. Former more likely on salmon, chicken kebabs etc, latter more likely for gammon, pork etc.

Well, the sauce is mainly used for burgers, gammon, pork...etc. I tried recipes online but they were complicated, as much as 10 different ingredients are used. It comes out good but nowhere as near as JD Wetherspoons.

Original post by Advice Guru

equal amounts runny honey

equal amounts English mustard

I'm sure the sauce requires more than that, right? :s-smilie:
Original post by JulietheCat
Well, the sauce is mainly used for burgers, gammon, pork...etc. I tried recipes online but they were complicated, as much as 10 different ingredients are used. It comes out good but nowhere as near as JD Wetherspoons.

Salt.

I'd say try the simple ones first. Though issue is like McDonalds sauces and such, it's probably got a huge list of ingredients including a load of chemical additives to make it taste "better".
Most honey glazes are just honey, mustard, olive oil and salt, but I haven't tasted it so who knows.
Original post by joey11223
I'd say try the simple ones first. Though issue is like McDonalds sauces and such, it's probably got a huge list of ingredients including a load of chemical additives to make it taste "better".

This is why I tend to make sauces at home rather than just buy them.
Salt.

Original post by cole-slaw
Most honey glazes are just honey, mustard, olive oil and salt, but I haven't tasted it so who knows.

The sauce is brown, so maybe soy sauce is added?
Try using Worcestershire sauce as the seasoning rather than salt. I make a maple glaze for chipolata sausages which is maple syrup, dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.

more likely brown sugar

Possibly, or a dash of balsamic vinegar might also make it brown.
more likely brown sugar

Original post by cole-slaw
Possibly, or a dash of balsamic vinegar might also make it brown.

Maybe. Looks like I need to do food hacking :tongue:
Maybe. Looks like I need to do food hacking :tongue:

If all fails, you can get a job at Weatherspoon's, steal the recipe and then quit.
I also tried to recreate the sauce. I can say that ingredients wise, it's not as deep flavored as my own homemade glaze. So most likely, it requires maximum 5 ingredients.

Either get a job at Wetherspoons, ask at a food forum or follow this recipe but replace the JD Whiskey with JD Honey. It should come about close this time.

Oh, and Wetherspoons glaze is not TGI Friday's glaze with honey, so don't think you can make a copycat TGI Fridays and think it can be like Wetherspoons. Even with honey, it's a salty sauce.
If all fails, you can get a job at Weatherspoon's, steal the recipe and then quit.

I got rejected :frown:

Original post by SecretDuck
I also tried to recreate the sauce. I can say that ingredients wise, it's not as deep flavored as my own homemade glaze. So most likely, it requires maximum 5 ingredients.

Either get a job at Wetherspoons, ask at a food forum or follow this recipe but replace the JD Whiskey with JD Honey. It should come about close this time.

Oh, and Wetherspoons glaze is not TGI Friday's glaze with honey, so don't think you can make a copycat TGI Fridays and think it can be like Wetherspoons. Even with honey, it's a salty sauce.

I tried a variation of the recipe in the link but it came out too bitter. Next time, I'll just follow that link. I know it's supposed to be simple. Thank you :smile:
It's honey glaze

Quick Reply