The Student Room Group

What sixth form is best ??!!!!

I dunno what to do
Sixth form 1
My current school
Been here since year 7. Know loads of people and get on well with the teachers. They have had good results over the past years with people getting into Oxbridge colleges despite being a state school in an area with grammar's and lots of people on benefits. I want to be a maths teacher and they offer A-level maths but not further maths. The class sizes are quite small with this school. They don't do general studies or the epq I don't think or it isn't compulsory. They have sixth forms mentor younger students but not much else. The dress code is very relaxed.

Sixth form 2
The local grammar school
This sixth form has a better ofsted rating that my current one. I know a few people going there but am not close to anyone. They offer further maths for a-level. Everyone has to do the epq and general studies. The dress code is very strict which I find annoying. I don't know any of the teachers or people that currently attend.

Help please !!
have offers for both btw so getting in isn't the issue here :smile:
Reply 1
Urgent guys haha
The first one definitely sounds better! Further maths seems like the only pro of the second sixth form - can you take it outside of school if it's that important?
Reply 3
Original post by coopertroopa03
The first one definitely sounds better! Further maths seems like the only pro of the second sixth form - can you take it outside of school if it's that important?

No I don't think that would be possible... I just worry that applying for like a maths related degree with require further maths but then tbh would rather just focus on maths alevel and try and get a really good grade
Reply 4
Hey,

In all honesty where you go isn't always a big deal. If you put the work in then you will get good grades regardless. I do think taking further maths will benefit you a lot seeing as you will be doing maths as a degree.

Before you make a decision, email some of the universities and ask them how much further maths will improve you chances of getting in.
Reply 5
Original post by Simba96
Hey,

In all honesty where you go isn't always a big deal. If you put the work in then you will get good grades regardless. I do think taking further maths will benefit you a lot seeing as you will be doing maths as a degree.

Before you make a decision, email some of the universities and ask them how much further maths will improve you chances of getting in.

Oh ok that seems like a good idea actually ! Thanks
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
No I don't think that would be possible... I just worry that applying for like a maths related degree with require further maths but then tbh would rather just focus on maths alevel and try and get a really good grade

Definitely go for the first one. Unis won't discriminate against students who have no option to do F. Maths at their current school.
Reply 7
Original post by Kool_Panda
Definitely go for the first one. Unis won't discriminate against students who have no option to do F. Maths at their current school.

Ok and also do uni's put much emphasis on general studies and the epq or not ?
Doing a maths related degree such as physics economics or even maths itself without further maths is shooting yourself in the foot it will put you at a huge disadvantage
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
Ok and also do uni's put much emphasis on general studies and the epq or not ?

They don't count General Studies as an A-Level when giving conditional offers and whilst an EPQ is nice and would probably be a good thing to put on your personal statement, not doing it doesn't prevent you from getting good offers from any unis.
Original post by Kool_Panda
They don't count General Studies as an A-Level when giving conditional offers and whilst an EPQ is nice and would probably be a good thing to put on your personal statement, not doing it doesn't prevent you from getting good offers from any unis.

Yeh ok cause I kind of really can't be bothered to do that anyway like it seems so boring ://

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending