The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan (help?!)

I have just received my Student Finance letter and found that I have been given over £3000 in maintenance loan... but my rent will cost me MUCH more than this.
This means that i'll be about minus £70 a week just from the cost of my student accommodation. I don't think that I could raise enough money to live, even with a part time job.

Is there anyone else in similar circumstances?
And does anyone have any useful websites where I could apply for grants? I have applied straight to my uni (St Andrews) but I wasn't eligible for anything.

Thanks in advance:smile:
Is a loan that you need?
Original post by Jane Perry
Is a loan that you need?

I've been given a maintenance loan but it is no where near the amount i'll be paying for accommodation
I have the same problem I've only received information about the basic maintenance loan in the letter like it didn't include anything about the amount based on household income or anything??? Does this come later or has there been a mistake or something?
Original post by MeghanNicholson
I have just received my Student Finance letter and found that I have been given over £3000 in maintenance loan... but my rent will cost me MUCH more than this.
This means that i'll be about minus £70 a week just from the cost of my student accommodation. I don't think that I could raise enough money to live, even with a part time job.

Is there anyone else in similar circumstances?
And does anyone have any useful websites where I could apply for grants? I have applied straight to my uni (St Andrews) but I wasn't eligible for anything.

Thanks in advance:smile:

If your parents earn over £60.000 it means they are expected to contribute towards your maintenance costs at uni. There is also an interest free overdraft that you can get with student accounts up to £2000.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tuvok1153
I have the same problem I've only received information about the basic maintenance loan in the letter like it didn't include anything about the amount based on household income or anything??? Does this come later or has there been a mistake or something?

Did your household fill in their forms and supply their information about income, and send in any information requested? Assuming they earn under £60k
Is it possible to change your accomodation to somewhere cheaper at this point? I know it's still probably not going to be covered by your loan but it may help take the pressure of.
And how willing are your parents to help out? They really should a little bit, considering its their income which has got you the small loan.
Original post by jelly1000
Did your household fill in their forms and supply their information about income, and send in any information requested? Assuming they earn under £60k

yeah everything was sent off and student finance wales confirmed they had received everything but there's still nothing? i'll probably call them tomorrow
That's interesting, student finance aren't normally allowed to do that
Again student finance don't normally take that into account, your very lucky!
Update: I have received another letter today which includes a bursary... they must have realised that they'd got it wrong!

I'm now getting almost enough to cover my accommodation.. and I suppose i'll get a job to cover the rest.
Thanks for your help guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending