Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

University of Brighton 2014 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OSeraj
Hi,

I am currently holding a conditional offer to study pharmacy at Brighton. My offer is ABB and was just wondering if people have ever got into pharmacy when they have dropped a single grade or gained a place through clearing? Is this something that's quite common or a rarity? I understand Brighton has a system for students to transfer to medicine if they wish to change direction during their studies but was wondering how common this is and if it would be possible to know how successful applicants are and how many transfer over to BSMS.

Hi OSeraj

Right, there are a couple of questions here so I will answer them one at a time.

First off. I know it's hard not to, but don't panic yet about grades. It is very normal for lots of students at this time of year to feel like they might not make the grades they are predicted or need to meet their offers. (We've all been there!) Many make them :smile: Some don't - but that doesn't always automatically mean that they loose their place on a course. If and when this happens, admissions tutors will review grades and a whole application before deciding. In a nutshell, my advice would be to cross that bridge if you come to it! And if you come to it, speak to us on results day.

And you are right, there is a well established system in place for transfers to BSMS. I am going to find out some more details on this for you as I'm not an expert on the process and options. So please bear with me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Best Wishes
Viv
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Viv can you help me out. For various reasons I already have a student account on blackboard sent system and sent a message through their but last time it took ages for a reply so I'll try here as well.

I am having a bit of trouble with student finance. On my student finance application it says that my Civil engineering with construction management degree has a foundation with it.I rang student finance and they say that using the UCAS code for the course it comes up on the student finance system that H2K2 has a foundation year attached to it and that it is a 4 year course. They said the engineering courses showing up for University of Brighton had all foundation courses attached to them. They suggested I contact you to make sure the course name is right as I am not doing foundation year.

In summary I have a unconditional to do 3 year BEng(Hons) civil engineering with construction management degree without a foundation year but on student finance systems it shows foundation each on each engineering course.
Original post by chicagowonderland
Viv can you help me out. For various reasons I already have a student account on blackboard sent system and sent a message through their but last time it took ages for a reply so I'll try here as well.

I am having a bit of trouble with student finance. On my student finance application it says that my Civil engineering with construction management degree has a foundation with it.I rang student finance and they say that using the UCAS code for the course it comes up on the student finance system that H2K2 has a foundation year attached to it and that it is a 4 year course. They said the engineering courses showing up for University of Brighton had all foundation courses attached to them. They suggested I contact you to make sure the course name is right as I am not doing foundation year.

In summary I have a unconditional to do 3 year BEng(Hons) civil engineering with construction management degree without a foundation year but on student finance systems it shows foundation each on each engineering course.

Hi chicagowonderland

How annoying for you! Well, unfortunately I can't access the system to check those details for you - but the enquiries team can. The best and fastest route to get this resolved is by phoning them as they can check your application while you are on the line. If you have your UCAS no or application no to hand it will speed up the process. If the line happens to be busy, keep ringing back - they're open until 5 today. Here is the direct no 01273 644644

Let me know how you get on and if you have any further issues I will see what I can do to follow it up!
Best Wishes
Viv
Original post by OSeraj
Hi,

I am currently holding a conditional offer to study pharmacy at Brighton. My offer is ABB and was just wondering if people have ever got into pharmacy when they have dropped a single grade or gained a place through clearing? Is this something that's quite common or a rarity? I understand Brighton has a system for students to transfer to medicine if they wish to change direction during their studies but was wondering how common this is and if it would be possible to know how successful applicants are and how many transfer over to BSMS.

Hi OSeraj

I have some more info re the medical school route for you. Have you read the information in the careers and employability section of the pharmacy course page? It details when and how you can apply to the medical school, including specific details about the grades you would need. It's all listed here
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/pharmacy-mpharm-hons.aspx

How many people apply and transfer to do this depends - because it depends on how many people apply to do so in a given year and whether they meet the entry requirements (as listed on the course page) and are successful at interview. You will have good access to support and information to follow this route from the course throughout your time studying if you indicate that you are interested in this route. If you would like to ask any more specific questions about this, you can contact the school office directly. I am sure they will be glad to hear from you! [email protected]

Best Wishes
Viv
(edited 9 years ago)
When do we know whether we would get bursary or not ?
Original post by ADAOBI123

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/undergraduate/ukeu-students/bursaries/index.aspx

That may help? If that's not what you were looking for ignore me :colone:

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/undergraduate/ukeu-students/bursaries/university-bursary.aspx

^ that link if you're EU/UK student, then click 'who is eligible' tab

It says on there "We will email you in the autumn of the year you start your course to confirm whether you will receive this bursary".
Original post by Minion125
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/undergraduate/ukeu-students/bursaries/index.aspx

That may help? If that's not what you were looking for ignore me :colone:

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/undergraduate/ukeu-students/bursaries/university-bursary.aspx

^ that link if you're EU/UK student, then click 'who is eligible' tab

It says on there "We will email you in the autumn of the year you start your course to confirm whether you will receive this bursary".

Yes it is ! Thank you ! And by autumn, do they mean at the beginning of the course ? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it is ! Thank you ! And by autumn, do they mean at the beginning of the course ? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

You could double check with the bursaries team directly- they'll be happy to answer your questions on this [email protected]

I believe that if you meet the eligibility criteria, which are listed on the website for each type of bursary then you should get it. If you aren't sure if you meet the criteria, again you can check now with the bursary team so that you know what to expect.

Hope that helps

Best Wishes
Viv
Original post by University of Brighton

I have it sorted it out now. The university had not added the engineering course without a foundation year to the student finance systems but they have now.
Original post by chicagowonderland
I have it sorted it out now. The university had not added the engineering course without a foundation year to the student finance systems but they have now.

Phew. Glad that's sorted. Good job you pointed it out :smile: Are you looking forward to the start of term?

Best Wishes
Viv
I'm still waiting on my confirmation email regarding my DBS of which I applied for on the 5th June.

How much longer will it be?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carla_1996
I'm still waiting on my confirmation email regarding my DBS of which I applied for on the 5th June.

How much longer will it be?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

It depends on the DBS processing system, if for example they've had alot of applications at a particular time it could be take a little longer. It's not the uni that controls this unfortunately - there are some details here for how you can check or track it https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/tracking-application-getting-certificate

Best Wishes
Viv
Original post by University of Brighton
If you are applying to the University of Brighton for 2014 entry, join this thread.

Chat with each other and ask our official reps any questions. We're all graduates or current students at Brighton and if we don't know the answer to your question we can find some one who does. :smile:

ME! I am going to study Criminology, so exited :-)

Anyone know when freshers week is? When I applied it said started on 15th (is that the course or induction week or Freshers?) I don't understand.

:biggrin:
Help please :-)
Reply 293
Thank you very much Viv for clearing that up!! Hugely appreciated and I look forward to joining the University of Brighton this September too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OSeraj
Thank you very much Viv for clearing that up!! Hugely appreciated and I look forward to joining the University of Brighton this September too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :wink:
See you on campus soon!
Original post by bethanycollinge
I am going to study Fine Art Critical Practice this year and Phoenix Brewery sounds like the most art-focused campus but I'm still trying to find an alternative as Phoenix Brewery is so expensive! I don't want to go further out to the cheaper ones as it will be a pain getting to Grand Parade all the time. I'm going to look into uni homes or something privately rented. I was worried about the amount of people studying art considering this...
The other alternative would be going to Moulsecoombe campus which is 2 miles away but I don't like thats its catered and iv'e heard its more for business, mathematics etc,

So stuck on this so if anyone has advice would be great!
Thanks,

You're doing fine art critical practice too! I haven't found anyone else, at last i'm not alone. :biggrin:
I've applied for pharmacy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pharmacy course is great. It's not difficult and people will always be in library to help you out if you needed anything. I'll be 3rd year in September. We also have great lecturers who will help you anytime you need help. Lab classes are fun and Library is great and huge and good place for studying. Brighton is a bit expensive in terms of housing but it is a good city and you will enjoy your student life here. Events are arranged by students every week and you can go to them.

Bursary depends on your family's financial circumstances and the course you are going to do. But most likely you will get at least 1000 pounds as bursary each year. Make sure you tick the box on student finance application where it says sharing your information with university, etc. If you are eligible, you will get a letter a month or so after you have started your course saying you are eligible for a bursary. So you don't need to do anything, just tick the box and you will be notified whether you get a bursary or not.
Original post by OSeraj
Hi,

I'm extremely excited about joining Brighton this year and look forward to a new challenge and meeting new people.

Cannot wait! :biggrin:

Well it depends on the year. I know people who got in with ABD last year. You need a B in chemistry and everything else should be OK. As for the medicine course, now you have to finish the four year course of pharmacy and enter as a graduate. You would still need to have the minimum requirements in A-level, i.e. 3 As. However, you will be guaranteed an interview, so the interview is the only advantage. I was one who tried to transfer and I even got higher than 70% in my first year, but they changed the whole thing around and so I thought I might as well stick with pharmacy. So by the time you finish the 4 year course they might introduce a new requirement. My advice is get into pharmacy and have a goal of becoming a pharmacist for now. If things goes alright, you will be able to do medicine eventually.
Original post by alan-93
The pharmacy course is great. It's not difficult and people will always be in library to help you out if you needed anything. I'll be 3rd year in September. We also have great lecturers who will help you anytime you need help. Lab classes are fun and Library is great and huge and good place for studying. Brighton is a bit expensive in terms of housing but it is a good city and you will enjoy your student life here. Events are arranged by students every week and you can go to them.

Wow. Thanks for your input. What did you get for your a levels if I may ask ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending