The Student Room Group

Sell me your intended career!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukeyJB
... what's your point?

You implied your intended career was a doctor, when it wasn't. You were either lying or trying to be funny.
Original post by teen1234
power? lol, your employed by the NHS.
Money? maybe after 20 years or a GP
Chicks? You have negative life for the majority of your career
Unless you become a GP.

Needs more research

You're the only one who took me seriously :lol:

Yeah I don't plan on working for the nhs for too long. They're screwed.
Original post by TSA
You implied your intended career was a doctor, when it wasn't. You were either lying or trying to be funny.

Oh sorry, buddy, you clearly know more than me about what my intended career is :rolleyes:
Reply 43
Original post by SterlingYen
You're the only one who took me seriously :lol:

Yeah I don't plan on working for the nhs for too long. They're screwed.

Pretty sure Doctors have to work for the NHS partly and cant go completely private, besides, you have to be working for the NHS for the majority of your career anyway to be fully qualified and established in your speciality.
Docs and Dentists dont make anything in the UK compared to those in other countries USA, the east etc tbh
Original post by LukeyJB
Oh sorry, buddy, you clearly know more than me about what my intended career is :rolleyes:

It's fine. Apology accepted.
Pretty sure Doctors have to work for the NHS partly and cant go completely private, besides, you have to be working for the NHS for the majority of your career anyway to be fully qualified and established in your speciality.
Docs and Dentists dont make anything in the UK compared to those in other countries USA, the east etc tbh

I won't be working for the nhs for a long time since I'll be going abroad :wink:
Investment banking - money, money, money, money, and oh wait, even more money.
If I can ever find something to link physics and music I'll be in heaven. It'll probably end up being acoustics related! :redface: So I can't sell you it, sorry :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shadowninja107
Please don't criticise me for asking this, I just wanted my horizons broadened on the possible career options out there as I think it would be a great help:smile:

One thing I would say is don't rule out 'office jobs'. When I was at school and people were deciding on careers, a common thing you'd hear was "you don't want to end up stuck in an office all day". Sounded pretty terrible - so I set my heart on a non-office based career. Fast forward some years and a long story and I now do work in an office and I love it. Wish I hadn't wasted such time and effort avoiding it! There are literally hundreds of different jobs in offices and it's impossible to group them together into one group and dismiss them - after all an office is just a location. So keep your options open and do follow your heart but don't rule anything out on the basis that 'it's not exciting' - most jobs have hidden aspects to them which are exciting for those who are in them. Human Resources which I'm in for example doesn't sound like the most madly exciting area, but I love it! You get to help people and you get to know and interact with a lot of different people in the company every day. Maybe not everybody's idea of exciting but there you go!
Blow my student loan on weed and than live life in the dole
I don't really have a 'Career' in mind, more so just a plan involving some jobs and a degree that will lead me to my ultimate goal of becoming a CEO of a large corporation (either my own or someone else's). I plan on doing a degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering and after some work experience an MBA.

The three jobs that I'm interested in that may lead me to this goal include:

- A strategy consultant at one of the Big Three ( MBB) <--- I love the travelling aspect of the job and the fact that you get exposure to high level executives from the get go.

- An investment banker within a TMT industry group of a large bank <- The compensation is spectacular (albeit a bit worse than pre 2008) and you get to learn the ins and outs of a company's financial strategy.

- Corporate Strategist or Product Manager for a large tech company <- For Corp Strat, you are working directly with the CEO and other high level execs to come up with new strategies and solve huge problems.
For Product Management you are essentially the CEO of a product and you are in charge of everything from its marketing to development.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by David B
Start and finish a Computer Science degree and join the Royal Air Force. Unless I get an offer from a big company such as Microsoft or something, I'll join them, but that's very unlikely.

What role would you like to join as?

On topic; I'm already doing mine :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by EatAndRevise
Investment banking - money, money, money, money, and oh wait, even more money.

Or
Hours, hours, hours, hours and oh wait, even more hours
Have fun with you 100 hour weeks, being treated like a corporate slave and being employed by immoral pricks for the rest of your life
Or
Hours, hours, hours, hours and oh wait, even more hours
Have fun with you 100 hour weeks, being treated like a corporate slave and being employed by immoral pricks for the rest of your life

100 hours a week is an over - exaggeration and in reality those types of hours are rare. You'll most likely average 75 - 85 (which is still a lot) but it's not as bad as 100+ hours.

Additionally, when bankers state their hours they fail to mention that not all of that time is spent working. In most cases, you'll have a stretch of work that you get assigned and then periods of free time waiting for feedback.
Reply 54
Original post by Princepieman
100 hours a week is an over - exaggeration and in reality those types of hours are rare. You'll most likely average 75 - 85 (which is still a lot) but it's not as bad as 100+ hours.

Additionally, when bankers state their hours they fail to mention that not all of that time is spent working. In most cases, you'll have a stretch of work that you get assigned and then periods of free time waiting for feedback.

As true as that may be you're still expected to pretty much 'belong' to the company you work for, you dont really control your life anymore. A friend of a friend works at JP Morgan. He was saying that the money means nothing since you never really get to use it in that way. Although, he loves his job but he admits he has no life outside of it. It just depends on what your motives are.
Reply 55
Original post by David B
Start and finish a Computer Science degree and join the Royal Air Force. Unless I get an offer from a big company such as Microsoft or something, I'll join them, but that's very unlikely.

A better bet would be to apply to them instead of wait for them to make you an offer. :lol:
As true as that may be you're still expected to pretty much 'belong' to the company you work for, you dont really control your life anymore. A friend of a friend works at JP Morgan. He was saying that the money means nothing since you never really get to use it in that way. Although, he loves his job but he admits he has no life outside of it. It just depends on what your motives are.

I agree, it's a tough gig. Though the majority of people do it for the opportunities it opens up; such as going into Private Equity or Hedge Funds where you're paid even more and work hours that are more sane.

I believe that your early twenties are the best possible time to pull insane hours, there will be no other time that you'll have as much energy to do something like that. Think of it as an investment in your future.
Reply 57
Original post by Princepieman
I agree, it's a tough gig. Though the majority of people do it for the opportunities it opens up; such as going into Private Equity or Hedge Funds where you're paid even more and work hours that are more sane.

I believe that your early twenties are the best possible time to pull insane hours, there will be no other time that you'll have as much energy to do something like that. Think of it as an investment in your future.

True.
Its funny because a lot of people with my future degree (dentistry) actually end up in IB. Not a clue how/why lol
Engineering.

You get paid about as much as doctors and dentists, just to build cool s@#%@ and solve interesting problems.

And not have to deal with much business bureaucracy (if you choose your employer wisely), or sick and generally depressed people. Also much more creativity (if you are a GP, 95% of your patients will just have a cold, and all require the same treatment, for example).

You also get to feel good about yourself for advancing human technology and very directly making the world a better place.
Original post by David B

Is this David Blight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending