The Student Room Group

Should I wait for a surgical abortion? HELP!

I had unprotected sex 10 days ago and took a morning after pill but today I think I noticed implantation bleeding. If I am pregnant then I want to get a surgical abortion, as I've read so many horror stories online about the medical one.

However, you can only get a surgical abortion when you are 7-9 weeks pregnant. Right now I would only be two weeks pregnant. I'm planning to get a pregnancy test at my GP next week. Would they let me wait until I'm 7 weeks so I could get the surgical option or would they make me have a medical one sooner?

I'm torn between wanting to sort it out as quickly as possible (meaning having the medical abortion) and not wanting to risk it being horrendous, and so waiting to have a surgical one.

I'm so scared. I'm not telling anyone about this. Advice would be much appreciated. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Don't get ahead of yourself... implantation bleeding would have happened much sooner than 10 days after (within a week) this bleeding is probably just a side effect of the morning after pill. You have put a massive dose of artificial hormones in your body. A bit of random bleeding and your cycle being weird is completely normal. Its highly unlikely that you're pregnant. Obviouslt take a test in 5-7 days to put your mind at rest completely... but don't start worrying unneccesarily.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Don't get ahead of yourself... implantation bleeding would have happened much sooner than 10 days after (within a week) this bleeding is probably just a side effect of the morning after pill. You have put a massive dose of artificial hormones in your body. A bit of random bleeding and your cycle being weird is completely normal. Its highly unlikely that you're pregnant. Obviouslt take a test in 5-7 days to put your mind at rest completely... but don't start worrying unneccesarily.

Implantation bleeding is 6-12 days usually experienced at 9 according to online sources.

Original post by Anonymous
I had unprotected sex 10 days ago and took a morning after pill but today I think I noticed implantation bleeding. If I am pregnant then I want to get a surgical abortion, as I've read so many horror stories online about the medical one.

However, you can only get a surgical abortion when you are 7-9 weeks pregnant. Right now I would only be two weeks pregnant. I'm planning to get a pregnancy test at my GP next week. Would they let me wait until I'm 7 weeks so I could get the surgical option or would they make me have a medical one sooner?

I'm torn between wanting to sort it out as quickly as possible (meaning having the medical abortion) and not wanting to risk it being horrendous, and so waiting to have a surgical one.

I'm so scared. I'm not telling anyone about this. Advice would be much appreciated. :frown:

Is it mid cycle? I sometimes get spotting at ovulation time. Don't stress. If period is due or late take hpt. I regularly worry. The fact is implantation bleeding only occurs in a third of cases so hormones are more to blame. If you would be two weeks - do you mean since ov or last period because if it is from ov then you're actually four weeks. If it is from LMP then you may just be ovulating.

Seek advice and talk to friends. Do go through this alone and pee on a stick
Reply 3
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Implantation bleeding is 6-12 days usually experienced at 9 according to online sources.

Is it mid cycle? I sometimes get spotting at ovulation time. Don't stress. If period is due or late take hpt. I regularly worry. The fact is implantation bleeding only occurs in a third of cases so hormones are more to blame. If you would be two weeks - do you mean since ov or last period because if it is from ov then you're actually four weeks. If it is from LMP then you may just be ovulating.

Seek advice and talk to friends. Do go through this alone and pee on a stick

Hey, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I really really don't want to involve anyone else though. It's been two weeks since the first day of my last period. And I'm pretty sure it's implantation bleeding - it's accompanied by light cramps.

I REALLY don't want a medical abortion. I want a surgical one, if I am indeed pregnant. Does this mean I should wait until I'm about 6 weeks pregnant before going to my GP? I don't want to only be given the option of a medical one if I were to go in the next week. :frown:

Thanks so much for the help!

Hope you don't mind me asking, don't have to respond if you don't want to.:smile:

thought about keeping the baby?

Do you have someone you can talk to? The guy, friends,family. They may help give a better answer in relation to your situation or they could just be there for you and support you not matter you decision?

i'm sure there are anonymous hotlines you can call for advice on these things. check out brook, care confidential.
Reply 5
Original post by dondon123
Hope you don't mind me asking, don't have to respond if you don't want to.:smile:

thought about keeping the baby?

Do you have someone you can talk to? The guy, friends,family. They may help give a better answer in relation to your situation or they could just be there for you and support you not matter you decision?

i'm sure there are anonymous hotlines you can call for advice on these things. check out brook, care confidential.

Keeping it would definitely be a massive no. And I'd much rather not tell the guy, or anyone else. I just want to sort it out and move on by myself. Brook only operate their service from 9-3 Monday to Friday I think, but I'll give care confidential a try. Thanks. :smile:
Hey, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I really really don't want to involve anyone else though. It's been two weeks since the first day of my last period. And I'm pretty sure it's implantation bleeding - it's accompanied by light cramps.

I REALLY don't want a medical abortion. I want a surgical one, if I am indeed pregnant. Does this mean I should wait until I'm about 6 weeks pregnant before going to my GP? I don't want to only be given the option of a medical one if I were to go in the next week. :frown:

Thanks so much for the help!

I get ovulation cramps and bleeding. I was in this exact situation this month. Ovulation is usually midway. Describe bleeding if needs be.

What is your reasoning behind not wanting a medical one? I think it would be less arduous on your system.
bleeding and cramps don't necesssarily mean implanation, could be early miscarriage http://miscarriage.about.com/od/amimiscarrying/qt/implantation.htm

you can find horror stories online about any medical procedure, doesn't mean they are common problems IRL.

First find out f you are pregnant then discuss with your doctor the different options
Reply 8
Go and see your GP and if you're set on the surgical abortion you can tell them that you haven't made up your mind yet- they can't force you to have medical or refuse you the surgical later on..

I hope you're not pregnant though. Good luck!!
Reply 9
I get ovulation cramps and bleeding. I was in this exact situation this month. Ovulation is usually midway. Describe bleeding if needs be.

What is your reasoning behind not wanting a medical one? I think it would be less arduous on your system.

Hmm this has never happened to me before. It's just light spotting, which is what you'd expect from implantation bleeding unfortunately :frown: I mean, I really really really hope you're right, but I doubt it.

Actually the surgical option is literally done in five minutes, isn't very invasive at all, with only period-type cramps and bleeding afterwards. A LOT of women describe intense prolonged labour-style cramps and really heavy bleeding with medical abortions - usually lasting 4-6 hours.
Hmm this has never happened to me before. It's just light spotting, which is what you'd expect from implantation bleeding unfortunately :frown: I mean, I really really really hope you're right, but I doubt it.

Actually the surgical option is literally done in five minutes, isn't very invasive at all, with only period-type cramps and bleeding afterwards. A LOT of women describe intense prolonged labour-style cramps and really heavy bleeding with medical abortions - usually lasting 4-6 hours.

Is it red or brown? Or pink? When is period due?

21 days from intercourse you can usually test. Sorry I missed this and am going to be intrusive.

How long are your cycles? What day of your cycle did you have sex on?

You seem to know what you want I guess.
Original post by parentlurker
bleeding and cramps don't necesssarily mean implanation, could be early miscarriage http://miscarriage.about.com/od/amimiscarrying/qt/implantation.htm

you can find horror stories online about any medical procedure, doesn't mean they are common problems IRL.

First find out f you are pregnant then discuss with your doctor the different options

Hmm I really hope you're right and that it's just to do with ovulation or a really early miscarriage. Exactly how light is implantation bleeding usually? And how long does it last? (Dw if you don't know)

I'll take a test in five days time as recommended and see if it's positive. Fingers crossed it's not! Thanks.
Original post by Bobbi!
Go and see your GP and if you're set on the surgical abortion you can tell them that you haven't made up your mind yet- they can't force you to have medical or refuse you the surgical later on..

I hope you're not pregnant though. Good luck!!

That sounds like a good idea. If they try and make me go for a medical I'll just say I'm unsure and come back later for a surgical one. Thank you - I really hope so too!
Is it red or brown? Or pink? When is period due?

21 days from intercourse you can usually test. Sorry I missed this and am going to be intrusive.

How long are your cycles? What day of your cycle did you have sex on?

You seem to know what you want I guess.

My periods are really quite irregular - the timings vary quite a bit so I wouldn't know when to expect my next one.

The blood started off brownish and now it's more of a dark pink. I had sex 6 days after the beginning of my last period.
My periods are really quite irregular - the timings vary quite a bit so I wouldn't know when to expect my next one.

The blood started off brownish and now it's more of a dark pink. I had sex 6 days after the beginning of my last period.

It is unlikely that you were ovulating during that time.
Private message me or whatever if you need someone to talk to.
My fingers are crossed for you :hugs:

Surgical carries much higher risk love.

Especially regarding infertility.

You can't wait until the foetus develops enough to feel pain to avoid a few hours of cramps, that just seems unnecessary.

I'd suggest maybe looking into a more reliable contraception method once this is out the way, maybe the implant or coil?
Original post by redferry
Surgical carries much higher risk love.

Especially regarding infertility.

You can't wait until the foetus develops enough to feel pain to avoid a few hours of cramps, that just seems unnecessary.

I'd suggest maybe looking into a more reliable contraception method once this is out the way, maybe the implant or coil?

The risk is minimal actually, love.

And research suggests they don't feel pain until the 24th week of gestation. Seven weeks is nowhere near that.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to look into more permanent contraception.
The risk is minimal actually, love.

And research suggests they don't feel pain until the 24th week of gestation. Seven weeks is nowhere near that.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to look into more permanent contraception.

It may be minimal but the risk of infertility is still infinitely higher than with a medical abotprtion, where it essentially unheard of. I know someone that is infertile from a surgical abortion and personally I'd take the cramps any day.

Also I've found the implant brilliant - would recommend.
Original post by redferry
It may be minimal but the risk of infertility is still infinitely higher than with a medical abotprtion, where it essentially unheard of. I know someone that is infertile from a surgical abortion and personally I'd take the cramps any day.

Also I've found the implant brilliant - would recommend.

But considering I have no one to support me and want to keep it a secret, spending 4-6 hours being violently sick and in lots of pain doesn't really appear to be the best option for me. But I'll discuss all the benefits and risks of each with my GP before making a decision.

Hmm I just read up about the implant and it sounds really good actually. Did you find it made you periods irregular or prolonged though?
Hmm I really hope you're right and that it's just to do with ovulation or a really early miscarriage. Exactly how light is implantation bleeding usually? And how long does it last? (Dw if you don't know)

I'll take a test in five days time as recommended and see if it's positive. Fingers crossed it's not! Thanks.

Implanation bleeding is normally about a month after your last period, only happens in a third of women and lasts a couple of hours or at most 1-2 days. It's unlikely you are pregnant and more likely that the morning after pill has caused hormonal changes. However you should be aware of the risk of an ectopic pregnancy. If you experience these symptoms you need help rapidly - sudden, severe, sharp pain, feeling faint and dizzy, feeling or being sick, diarrhoea, shoulder tip pain

Medical and surgical abortions can both cause pain, bleeding and cramping and there isn't a lot of difference between the methods in research studies, although it is slightly higher for medical abortion and bleeding tends to last longer. It really is better to use a reliable form of contraception - and if you are continuing to have sex you need it now.

In the unlikely event that you are pregnant don't lie to your gp, just say that you think you'd prefer a surgical procedure. Then it can be timetabled for as soon as is feasible.

Quick Reply

Latest