The Student Room Group

three and a half years for a false rape accusation , enough?

I apologise if someone posted on this already, but I havent seen it.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5534211

". Rhiannon Brooker Jailed For Falsely Accusing Boyfriend Of A lying law graduate who falsely accused her boyfriend of a series of rapes has been jailed for three-and-a-half years. Rhiannon Brooker, 30, falsely claimed Paul Fensome, 46, forced her to have sex with him on five occasions and faked injuries to suggest he had beaten her.

The Birmingham law graduate even alleged that Mr Fensome caused her to have a miscarriage by punching her in the stomach. Bristol Crown Court heard Brooker falsified the "wicked" allegations so she would have an excuse for failing her legal exams at the University of the West of England."

Considering she will be out in 18 months I am not sure it is enough
As usual no mention of what length of sentence was available to the Judge.
Considering that she lied through her teeth all the way to the end of the trial and he probably would have had gotton at least 10 years, I think she is a very lucky lady
Seems stupid to put her in for a less time than she would've put him in for.
Reply 2
I'd say it's about enough.
False rape allegations should carry the same sentence as rape. Vile, wretched woman.

I believe the maximum sentencing range is around three years; there's no specific charge for making up a rape accusation but it comes under either wasting police time or perverting the course of justice. So actually, this sentence is quite 'good' considering the feeble law for this particular crime.
Original post by russellsteapot
False rape allegations should carry the same sentence as rape. Vile, wretched woman.

I believe the maximum sentencing range is around three years; there's no specific charge for making up a rape accusation but it comes under either wasting police time or perverting the course of justice. So actually, this sentence is quite 'good' considering the feeble law for this particular crime.

I actually disagree. Rape and false rape accusations are ultimately two different crimes. I agree that the courts should come down hard (particularly if the falsely accused has already done jail time), but a false rape accuser should be charged and sentenced for perjury, slander, and/or perverting the course of justice, as well as being made liable to be sued for any damages caused. To actually give them the same degree of jail time, in my view, is more vindictive than it is just.
Original post by Dandaman1
I actually disagree. Rape and false rape accusations are ultimately two different crimes. I agree that the courts should come down hard (particularly if the falsely accused has already done jail time), but a false rape accuser should be charged and sentenced for perjury, slander, and/or perverting the course of justice, as well as being made liable to be sued for any damages caused. To actually give them the same degree of jail time, in my view, is more vindictive than it is just.

I think it's more about having a deterrent, seeing as the man's life could be completely ruined.
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I think it's more about having a deterrent, seeing as the man's life could be completely ruined.

True, but remember that there's a reason why murder and attempted murder each have different sentences, for example. The falsely accused could have gone to jail for a long time, but didn't.
Accusing someone of rape when they didn't do it is almost as bad as raping someone. You can ruin someone's life to the same degree. He'll always have that hanging over his head and people will always raise questions about whether or not he actually did it for the rest of his life. So in my eyes it should be for the same amount of time. 8 years +.
Reply 8

Well considering she would have been happy to see an innocent man go to jail for likely over 8 years for a crime she knows full well he didn't commit, it surely makes a point of don't try and send innocent people to jail for that length of time if you are not willing to do it yourself?

Its not even like in this case the woman had mental health issues etc. she knew exactly what she was doing and the consequences off her actions.
Reply 9
I think its a suitable sentence. Its a truly abhorrent crime and I'm glad for once its been taken seriously as the effects are potentially as damaging as rape itself (though I'd be interested to know whether there's any evidence for that, as being falsely accused of rape and actually being raped are 2 completely different things), but I don't agree with the comments saying it should get the same as rape itself, surely our justice system doesn't work that way, like said, its slander and/or perverting the course of justice, its a completely different crime.
True, but remember that there's a reason why murder and attempted murder each have different sentences, for example. The falsely accused could have gone to jail for a long time, but didn't.

Got to agree with this tbh.

However I think if the accused has caused the man to actually suffer jail time before it's discovered, she should be given a sentence for the false allegation and serve the time he wrongly did added on, possibly even the time he did doubled, then added to hers.

I would also say that the women be made to make a public statement/apology admitting her lies about the originally accused.
Reply 11
Original post by Olie
I think its a suitable sentence. Its a truly abhorrent crime and I'm glad for once its been taken seriously as the effects are potentially as damaging as rape itself (though I'd be interested to know whether there's any evidence for that, as being falsely accused of rape and actually being raped are 2 completely different things), but I don't agree with the comments saying it should get the same as rape itself, surely our justice system doesn't work that way, like said, its slander and/or perverting the course of justice, its a completely different crime.

Not just slander though.

The man spent 31 days in prison and because word wen't around he was a pedophile in prison he would have been fearing for his life.
Not to mention if he would have been found guilty she would have been perfectly happy to see a innocent man spend over 8 years in prison, just so she could get another attempt at her exams. Not saying to sentence should be the exact same as rape, but for her actions i don't really see her sentence as enough (considering she will only end up serving half).
Original post by Olie

I agree mostly with this. Judges should come down incredibly harshly on these women, but comparing actual rape with accusing someone of rape makes me incredibly uncomfortable as they are ultimately incomparable in terms of the crime, and damage, committed.
It's women like her who make it so difficult for real rape victims to come forward and be taken seriously. She has brought much dishonour upon herself.

However, this time I think justice has been served. I see no point in a harsher sentence. She has been publicly humiliated, she will never get a job in the profession she wishes to join due to the crime. She has been punished enough.
(edited 9 years ago)
We need work camps for people like that. Sentences of hard labour.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I agree mostly with this. Judges should come down incredibly harshly on these women, but comparing actual rape with accusing someone of rape makes me incredibly uncomfortable as they are ultimately incomparable in terms of the crime, and damage, committed.

Had the guy been wrongly convicted, the two would become very compareable though.
She should also be charged with false imprisonment as her lies lead to an innocent men being locked up. She should have got at least half a decade.

Quick Reply

Latest