The Student Room Group

St Olave's Sixth Form Entry 2015

hi guys,

Im in year 10 but Im approaching the end of year 10 very soon. I know it is very early to ask, but Im so intrigued and I want to be well prepared. So how would you actually get in St Olave's Sixth Form in Orpington? I know its very competitive, but it is a very good school and I really want to go there.

Ya, thanks! :smile:
germanshepherd_

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by germanshepherd_
hi guys,

Im in year 10 but Im approaching the end of year 10 very soon. I know it is very early to ask, but Im so intrigued and I want to be well prepared. So how would you actually get in St Olave's Sixth Form in Orpington? I know its very competitive, but it is a very good school and I really want to go there.

germanshepherd_

Hi, I'm a girl who will be starting St Olave's in September.

You have to fill out an application form and send your predicted grades. You then have to take 4 entrance exams, one for each subject you are applying to take. They use these to determine if you have gained a place or not. My advice is to not overstress for the entrance exam you will take next February and sure you thoroughly know and understand the content of the courses you want to do for A levels. Good luck and hopefully I'll see you next September :wink:
Original post by Gavvy

You have to fill out an application form and send your predicted grades. You then have to take 4 entrance exams, one for each subject you are applying to take. They use these to determine if you have gained a place or not. My advice is to not overstress for the entrance exam you will take next February and sure you thoroughly know and understand the content of the courses you want to do for A levels. Good luck and hopefully I'll see you next September :wink:

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. Appreciated loads, and well done for getting into St Olave's. ;'] But Im uncertain about what I want to take? What subjects re you doing?

Yaa, thanks.

germanshepherd_
Reply 3
Hi,

Thank you for your advice. Appreciated loads, and well done for getting into St Olave's. ;'] But Im uncertain about what I want to take? What subjects re you doing?

Yaa, thanks.

germanshepherd_

Well I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and french with critical thinking as my extended project
Original post by Gavvy
Well I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and french with critical thinking as my extended project

Oooooh. Nice. You are taking a load of subjects. You must be well organised. What are you thinking of doing as a career? Chemical engineering? Natural Scientist? I was also thinking of taking maths and further maths. I want to take history and im not sure about the last one? But good choices though. Im Considering of doing so too.
germanshepherd_
Reply 5
hi guys,

germanshepherd_

Its quite hard to prepare as you never really know what will come up. You also said that you wanted to take maths, further maths, history and one more. In st Olaves maths and further maths come as one subject. So you either pick double maths (maths and further maths) or just single maths.
I assume that history will be similar to economics, meaning that they want to test how you answer the question, not necessarily what you know. The usually pick a topic that isnt studied at GCSE. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gavvy

Hey I'm also a girl who will be starting in September. What are you wearing tomorrow, for the induction day. :smile:
Reply 7
Oooooh. Nice. You are taking a load of subjects. You must be well organised. What are you thinking of doing as a career? Chemical engineering? Natural Scientist? I was also thinking of taking maths and further maths. I want to take history and im not sure about the last one? But good choices though. Im Considering of doing so too.
germanshepherd_

Hahaha, I wouldn't call myself well organised just quite intelligent so I should be able to handle it (lets hope so 😂). I have no idea really what I want to do, trying to make sure I have lots of career options hence, my subjects. I would recommend taking a science (chemistry is the most fundamental one, especially for science related careers) Do you know what you want to do?
Reply 8
Original post by mliela
Hey I'm also a girl who will be starting in September. What are you wearing tomorrow, for the induction day. :smile:
I wasn't sure because half the people wear smart stuff and half of them wear really casual clothes 😂 I'm wear a high waisted tube skirt and a crop top. Hopefully I don't look too overdressed :s-smilie: What are you wearing ?
Reply 9
Original post by Gavvy
I wasn't sure because half the people wear smart stuff and half of them wear really casual clothes ������ I'm wear a high waisted tube skirt and a crop top. Hopefully I don't look too overdressed :s-smilie: What are you wearing ?

I have no idea maybe jeans and a blouse or a skirt. I hate the smart casual dress code. :frown:
What was the exam like and what subjects do you do
Reply 11
Original post by xx_xx_sarah
What was the exam like and what subjects do you do

I do double maths, biology, chemistry and economics. The exams were at the higher end of GCSE stuff. Depends on which subjects you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
I do double maths, biology, chemistry and economics. The exams were at the higher end of GCSE stuff. Depends on which subjects you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do chemistry, single maths, biology and religious studies
Reply 13
Hi, I'm planning to take the entrance exams in February also in Chemistry, Biology and Maths, however I have not decided on my 4th option between RS, Geography and Physics. Could anyone tell me what sort of things come up in the exams as I've heard Geography requires you to write an essay? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by itsjustaneesa
I am additionally sitting the entrance exam in February. I'm planning to do the same subjects as you are doing currently: Double Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics. I wanted to ask what your Economics exam was on because I absolutely love the subject but my school didn't offer it at GCSE:angry: , so I have practically no idea for what I am in for. I am teaching myself the Economics GCSE syllabus just in case though /:

I didn't do Economics at GCSE either. As the A Level itself requires no knowledge of the subject beforehand, the exam doesn't either. Last year, the exam was to calculate a simple percentage change/increase for excise duty on beer. It then asks how imposing a tax would affect government, firms, individuals etc. There was one question to calculate, and the other 4 or so questions were paragraph/essay style. Just think through the process - the economics exam is quite straightforward. I would advise to write fast, the exam is only 45 minutes each before you move on to the next one.
Original post by Magnesium
I didn't do Economics at GCSE either. As the A Level itself requires no knowledge of the subject beforehand, the exam doesn't either. Last year, the exam was to calculate a simple percentage change/increase for excise duty on beer. It then asks how imposing a tax would affect government, firms, individuals etc. There was one question to calculate, and the other 4 or so questions were paragraph/essay style. Just think through the process - the economics exam is quite straightforward. I would advise to write fast, the exam is only 45 minutes each before you move on to the next one.

Thank you so much! That has definitely helped me and has minimised at least some of my worries for the exam:biggrin:
Original post by itsjustaneesa
Thank you so much! That has definitely helped me and has minimised at least some of my worries for the exam:biggrin:

That's good then. :smile: Best thing to do is relax and do your best - the exams aren't that hard, olave's just makes the examinations sound scary :wink:
Original post by yasi98
Hi, I'm planning to take the entrance exams in February also in Chemistry, Biology and Maths, however I have not decided on my 4th option between RS, Geography and Physics. Could anyone tell me what sort of things come up in the exams as I've heard Geography requires you to write an essay? :confused:

Omg you have like all the same subject i want to do apart from french. I am going to sit the exam too. I think im going to do r.s. But in my school we do like philosphy and ethics not religion based learning so i dont know if i will be screwed or not
Reply 18
Original post by xx_xx_sarah
Omg you have like all the same subject i want to do apart from french. I am going to sit the exam too. I think im going to do r.s. But in my school we do like philosphy and ethics not religion based learning so i dont know if i will be screwed or not

I do OCR Philosophy and Ethics so mines not very religion based either! I have no idea how to revise for that exam which is why I’m contemplating doing Physics or Geography but idk :/ Have you started revising??
Original post by yasi98
I do OCR Philosophy and Ethics so mines not very religion based either! I have no idea how to revise for that exam which is why I’m contemplating doing Physics or Geography but idk :/ Have you started revising??

It is definitely possible to take the exam for one subject and then change your mind later to another subject once you've been enrolled. I wouldn't suggest this route though as they like to keep their class sizes small, so changing subjects may not be that easy depending on the demand for it and then there's the problems concerning timetable changes etc.

Quick Reply

Latest