The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Best College for Self-Catering in Durham?

I'm currently considering an MSc in Durham and would ideally like a college which is in the city centre and has self-catering. I was pleasantly surprised about this at first because a lot of the colleges on the Bailey offer self-catering - but having read into it more, it seems as though a lot of this self-catering is in places separate from the college.

So is there any way you can be self-catered without being exiled to an area unconnected to your college? And am I going to be missing out if I decide against living in catered accommodation?

Thanks
Hi, there are only two colleges that offer self-catering in college accommodation- Josephine Butler and St. Cuthberts. I was at Butler but is is further out of town on the hill (20 min walk from the centre) whereas Cuthberts is about 10 minutes. Best bet is to visit both and decide which one you like best. You won't miss out on college life at either of these though!

I realise this is a massively late reply so you may have already made your decision, but it may be helpful for others looking too.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by RiverSpark
Hi, there are only two colleges that offer self-catering in college accommodation- Josephine Butler and St. Cuthberts. I was at Butler but is is further out of town on the hill (20 min walk from the centre) whereas Cuthberts is about 10 minutes. Best bet is to visit both and decide which one you like best. You won't miss out on college life at either of these though!

I realise this is a massively late reply so you may have already made your decision, but it may be helpful for others looking too.

Actually, the colleges still haven't got back to me, so your reply came in at a pretty good time. Looks like I might be set for either Josephine Butler or Ustinov. One thing I was wondering: did you never feel like you were missing out at JB? I live in County Durham, so I visited all the colleges recently, but I was just surprised at how 'detached' JB felt. Is this a reasonable way to feel? On the other hand, it doesn't seem like Durham students go out in Durham all that much (I know a few pubs where you really wouldn't expect to see any students), so maybe its proximity to the town doesn't really matter?
Original post by Zetland
Actually, the colleges still haven't got back to me, so your reply came in at a pretty good time. Looks like I might be set for either Josephine Butler or Ustinov. One thing I was wondering: did you never feel like you were missing out at JB? I live in County Durham, so I visited all the colleges recently, but I was just surprised at how 'detached' JB felt. Is this a reasonable way to feel? On the other hand, it doesn't seem like Durham students go out in Durham all that much (I know a few pubs where you really wouldn't expect to see any students), so maybe its proximity to the town doesn't really matter?

I never felt like I missed out at Butler- there were lots of socials that went on in college and you make friends from other colleges on the course, so we spent a lot of time in other college bars. Living in means you get to know people quickly too. Durham is small enough that everywhere is walking distance anyway.

I think Ustinov students do keep themselves to themselves more, but as it's the postgrad only college you do tend to find they are a lot older and many with families too.

There never seems to be many students in Durham itself at the weekend (although there are some), but there is during the week. I suppose with 16 student friendly bars, there isn't as much need to go into town! I still live in Durham now and there are still pubs I won't go into, so I know exactly what you meed.

Quick Reply

Latest