The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
i was talking more about the united defence a year or two before then when vidic and ferdinand were at their prime.

one thing i always said when united were winning game after game is that their players aren't that good but their team is amazing.
that kind of thing can only be done by a manager.
rodgers did that for us last season, which is why with players like allen and aspas, we managed to come 2nd in the premier league.

Which is why I don't see why everybody is writing off liverpool.
Original post by jam278
Which is why I don't see why everybody is writing off liverpool.

they did it last season man.
nobody predicted us to come 2nd, but people were saying we'd finish 7th again.

and they're still saying it now.
they've seen how a team can slip down to 6th/7th, and they convince themself that liverpool will suddenly do the same.

mainly arsenal/united fans tbh

you're probably the only poster on here who is clever enough to conceive the possibility of liverpool being a threat.
Tbh this may seem a bit out there, but i don't see City winning the title next year. I think they have peaked already and are not going to be as hungry.
Original post by Fizzel
Can't see it with Liverpool, I'm pretty sure they will score less goals next season. Having 2 strikers both having the season of their careers at the same time is unusual. I don't think they will score as much, either because of injury or lack of form at some point which means they need to tighten up for a start but it changes everything. Teams are affected when they know they are facing a freight train, the scoring is a defence mechanism. Much like United, so long as they keep scoring you can cover up some faults, when you stop scoring its a double whammy, you lose the goal and the faults get exposed.

I agree, however I wouldn't call Suarez' and Sturridge's seasons just an exceptional season. Suarez was banned for a large part of 2 seasons ago and probably was still affected by the racism case. The season just gone by he had an exceptional season but one can say that he had better players around him. Remember that he was playing with Shelvey, an out of form Henderson, Downing and Gerrard before Sturridge and Coutinho came in. They vastly improved that side and with that Suarez also improved.

Yeah, but with the squad you have it shouldn't be an issue. Certain players are capable of back to back games, and those that aren't or are talismans can be rested brought off early. I'm simply not even entertaining it. Chelsea are on for the title with City, its close so you could lose out but scrapping around at 3 will be failure. With your coefficient if not like you're going to be playing Real in the group stage anyway. If you can't balance those games, you've mucked up.

Realistically, the hardest group we could end up with is Dortmund, Napoli and Monaco. Yes we're the strongest out of the group but anybody can be knocked out that group.

To do that though they will have to change to team. Can need to take to the PL which is no guarantee, then you need to drop Gerrard who scored 13 goals last season. Without Gerrard who is the metronome? Can, in his first season at a new club in new league?

I was just saying that Can could just be a bit deeper, if they play 4-3-3 e.g. Can could be a deeper midfielder but in a 4-3-3, something similar to what Italy do when they have Verratti and Pirlo in the same team and Henderson being the midfield runner. German league and Premier league both play high tempo games so there's not as much adaptation as say the spanish league to the prem or vice versa.

He's already been off the boil. You just have to look at where he's scored. Between the start of the season and march, only 6 games he played in he didn't score at least once, and had 7 assists. Then he scored 1 in the next 6 and no assits, then you are on to the performances for England. At present he's not scoring like he was statically, he's going to need to find some form to repeat last season.

Disagree with this. Sturridge was injured near the end of season and was trying to rush his fitness, he started the season partially injured, then got injured after march and was unfit(hence him coming off the bench vs Chelsea e.g.) I think it's an RVP streak here as long as Sturridge stays fit.

I would think Suarez will stay in form, but 4 months out of the top flight matches is not ideal for a player in form, so that could change things. Plus he misses the City game, that's a 6 pointer. That's of course assuming he's still there, Sanchez or not if that isn't the case its massive.

Basically I'm not convinced they have actually moved forward, and if you don't move forward you go backwards. City haven't really kicked on but considering they spend the beginning of the season ****ing about and didn't get over 30 app out of Kompany, Silva or Aguero, the might not need to make signings to improve.

That's understandable. I agree with this. I think Liverpool are attempting to use the same team, rely on player improvements(which Henderson, Can, Sturridge and Sterling all have potential to do so) Arguably Gerrard can improve as well since he's playing a new role that he's never played in before and will become more tactically aware there.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
they did it last season man.
nobody predicted us to come 2nd, but people were saying we'd finish 7th again.

and they're still saying it now.
they've seen how a team can slip down to 6th/7th, and they convince themself that liverpool will suddenly do the same.

mainly arsenal/united fans tbh

you're probably the only poster on here who is clever enough to conceive the possibility of liverpool being a threat.

That's because your previous seasons suggested that you would finish around 7th again. You cannot sit there and pretend that you honestly thought you would finish 2nd. No one did.

The lack of CL and getting knocked out of the cup competitions fairly early massively helped you last season. You had more time off and didn't have to rotate, whereas others did. That is why some think you won't repeat what you did this season and that is a fair conclusion. You can buy all these young promising players but you can't be sure they will be able to you kick on. You need to be addressing your defensive frailties more than anything.

A lot of factors led to you finishing 2nd;
We crumbled, Chelsea were preoccupied with CL, City were still around but were up and down, and no United to deal with. You hit a run of form very reminiscent to what we did in 1998 and 2002, except we actually won the league then, and the cup as well.

No one is denying that Liverpool will be a threat so bore off with that rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back to Arsenal, I think the reason we have done **** all is because technically we are still with Nike. Puma won't want our new signings posing for pictures holding up another manufacturers shirt. I'd expect some serious activity after 10th July once the kit has been launched. Saying that I still think this summer will flop and be 2011/12 Mark II as we scramble to look for this windows equivalent of Park and Santos!

And if that is the case, don't be surprised when I say 'told ya so' :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Does that apply to loads of clubs every season? Chevy didn't seem to mind Herrera wearing the Aon branded top for United for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
Back to Arsenal, I think the reason we have done **** all is because technically we are still with Nike. Puma won't want our new signings posing for pictures holding up another manufacturers shirt. I'd expect some serious activity after 10th July once the kit has been launched. Saying that I still think this summer will flop and be 2011/12 Mark II as we scramble to look for this windows equivalent of Park and Santos!

I don't think there's much in this. I just think its the way we operate in the transfer market. The way Wenger buys players is quite similar to a woman looking for the perfect pair of heels. We just have to be patient.

these kind of theories pop up every summer anyway tbh. last year people were talking about the unveiling of our new away kit and how it would coincide with the signing of Bernard/Fellaini/Rooney/Julio Cesar. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
£150m invested over 5 years at a realistic 6% is worth £5m in interest...

#JS
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
£150m invested over 5 years at a realistic 6% is worth £5m in interest...

#JS

All the money in the world is pointless if you don't spend it

#js
Original post by Peggles_*

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's 1st July that's when the Puma deal takes effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJIE5-W514#t=30
in b4 pumas big announcement is wenger signing on as player-manager.

Scz
Jenk Mert Kosc Gibbs
Wenger Ramsey
Ox Oz Walcott
Giroud

Wenger on that DLP duty.
Looks like a knockoff you see hanging up at a foreign market.
Reply 8954

Looks really repulsive :frown:
I've never understood why people get worked up about kits appearance, it's understandable if you're under the age of 12. But for me if it's red and white and a original design I couldn't care less about the kits.
Reply 8956
Original post by sevchenko
I've never understood why people get worked up about kits appearance, it's understandable if you're under the age of 12. But for me if it's red and white and a original design I couldn't care less about the kits.

Preference isn't it. Doesn't really matter about age.
New kit looks dire.
I doubt that was it. The page was removed anyway. It will most likely be exactly the same as last years kit only with Puma instead of nike
Meh couldn't really care less about the kits it's not going to win us games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest