The Student Room Group

What stationery do I need for A-level Biology and Chemistry?

Anyone currently studying, or previously studied Bio and Chem at A-level, what do I need to buy and how do I organise folders/binders and notepads, like are lessons expected to be written up on paper/pad or is it based on hand-outs?
And any other tips would be awesome, thanks in advance :biggrin: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It really depends on the sixth form/college but I had a notebook for making notes or would sometimes make notes on any handouts! It's definitely a good idea to have some kind of folder to keep your notes in :yep: oh and splitting them up with dividers for different topics is sometimes helpful :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If you want to be really organised then, colored pens, ruler, pencils, notebooks, calculator, ring binders with dividers. Don't really see you needing anything else.

I personally make rough notes in a notebook in school. and then write them up neatly in free lessons/at home and add them to my folders. Might want to print yourself a specification out too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Pen
Pencil
Ruler
Rubber
Scientific calculator
DO THEY NOT GIVE YOU BOOKS ANYMORE FOR SIXTH FORM. What !? So do I need like my own like book to write in !? Ah goodness me I'm really confused now !!
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
DO THEY NOT GIVE YOU BOOKS ANYMORE FOR SIXTH FORM. What !? So do I need like my own like book to write in !? Ah goodness me I'm really confused now !!

The only subject at my sixth form that did was biology :tongue: yours may do :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
you need a notebook
pens
pencils
scientific calculator
a bag
Original post by Changing Skies
The only subject at my sixth form that did was biology :tongue: yours may do :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god ... What about maths !? Do you not get given a book or have I gotta get my own one... This is actually really annoying !!
I'm used to having books. Damn I guess those days are over
My bag is going to be super heavy. That's annoying !
You only need a pen and paper. No need for fancy stuff like scientific calculators.
Oh my god ... What about maths !? Do you not get given a book or have I gotta get my own one... This is actually really annoying !!

you have to buy your own exercise books but you are given textbooks in my sixth form at least

I think maths students got given squared paper separately so it's not too bad, I'd recommend buying one just in case :tongue: I guess you could ask before you start :smile:
Original post by Cloud nine.
You only need a pen and paper. No need for fancy stuff like scientific calculators.

But you're supposed to have one for the exam? :tongue: well I had to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
you have to buy your own exercise books but you are given textbooks in my sixth form at least

Ohhh that's really annoying !!
So much stuff to get then... New clothes shoes bag and now this damn
I'll guess I'll have to get a book of squared paper for maths and books for the other subjects. Damn English is gonna be especially annoying.might drop it anyways who knows :/
Ohhh that's really annoying !!
So much stuff to get then... New clothes shoes bag and now this damn

wilkinsons are your best shop for stationary and exercise books. you dont need the overpriced WHsmith
Original post by toonervoustotalk
wilkinsons are your best shop for stationary and exercise books. you dont need the overpriced WHsmith

Yeh I never go in whsmiths it's such a rip off. I'll probably go asda and check out wilkinsons while km at it. I want the books that you use at secondary school do they sell these ?! Haha
Yeh I never go in whsmiths it's such a rip off. I'll probably go asda and check out wilkinsons while km at it. I want the books that you use at secondary school do they sell these ?! Haha

yeah they still sell them on amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silvine-Exercise-Ruled-Margin-229x178mm/dp/B002QWDSH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404059435&sr=8-1&keywords=exercise+book
Reply 17
it really depends on the sixth form. Our one gave us folders for AS Chemistry and used plain A4 paper to take notes ( if you want a exc. book its fine but notes are better imo) and Biology they were given an exc. book. Are you doing English A-level too? Literature or language?
oh and mainly a pen and a scientific calculator :smile:

£4.30 seemed crazy but then I realised it was for a pack of 10 haha. LoL
My own list of things to buy:

A clear pencil case,
HB pencils,
coloured pencils,
black pens,
blue+red+green pens,
highlighters,
rubber,
ruler in cm,
sharpener,
scientific calculator,
Pukka pads/ any writing paper,
dividers to separate topics in folder,
*a small ring binder/ folder (to take home work if no exercise books),
arch lever files (put in work that you took home in small ring binder),
laptop if you want to type work,
textbooks,
card to make flash cards,
Whiteboard/ blackboard (+pens/chalk) for revision
and tissues if you feel like crying...

*if you don't want to bring 4+ huge arch lever folders to sixthform everyday, this is for the transport of work :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending