The Student Room Group

Medicine

Which Job has the highest pay in medicine
Original post by Shabaz77

Surgery, in general.

Within surgery Maxfax and Neuro are among the best paid (but are very competitive and have long training pathways).

Also if all you want is money, please don't do Medicine for everyone's sake.
Reply 2
Original post by Plasticity
Surgery, in general.

Within surgery Maxfax and Neuro are among the best paid (but are very competitive and have long training pathways).

i want to do it because I enjoy science it's just if I'm going to work really hard for that long it would be nice if there was a lot of money involved as well
i want to do it because I enjoy science it's just if I'm going to work really hard for that long it would be nice if there was a lot of money involved as well

If you love science, hard work and money - then consider engineering :smile:

If you love science, hard work and people - then consider medicine :smile:
Surgery, in general.

Surely the money is in the most privatised specialties rather than the most prestigious? I would say there's more money in ortho and plastic?
Reply 5

CLA

SSIC

Mate, you're probably not going to get in. You're not going to be paid much as a doctor in the UK unless you're a GP (11 years) or become a consultant/surgeon (15 years+). Dont know why Im saying this
Since you're probably not going to get in

Wow I cant believe this has been asked.
Do what YOU enjoy!
Money is important and a bonus, but no doctor is on a poor salary.
Reply 7
Surgery, in general.

Maxfax is insane
Most people think of medical/dental school as hell, never mind doing BOTH.
The things they do are incredible though
Reply 8

Salaries within the NHS are the same across all specialties. Any differences in income will come from private work (as a consultant). Generally surgical specialties have a higher private earning potential, though some of the more "procedural" medical ones like cardiology can also earn a lot if you work in the right place and know the right people. Malpractice premiums are also higher though, especially in things like maxfax/plastics, so the amount of profit may not actually be huge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoctorInTraining
If you love science, hard work and money - then consider engineering :smile:

If you love science, hard work and people - then consider medicine :smile:

I thought doctors generally earn more than engineers anyway?
Reply 10
Original post by thesuperdark
I thought doctors generally earn more than engineers anyway?

It depends on how 'good' the engineer is and where they graduate from. This is unlike medicine where it is irrelevant. Those at top unis for engineering probably have more earning potential than doctors.
Doctors really dont get paid much unless they become GPs or they are at consultant level.
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
Actually its a 6 year post-FY2 training program in the usual format, just like other surgical specialities.

Yes but its an extra 3/4/5 years at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending