The Student Room Group

At your school...

At your school, for GCSE are you allowed to take Core Science on its own? (without having to take additional science, thus just taking single award science)? Or do you HAVE to take both?

Scroll to see replies

I had to do both, my school basically gave us the dual award from the start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
YouHAVEto take both for it to count as anything, really.

You need Core and Additional to get into some Colleges, too.
Core on it's own is sort of useless.

If you aren't interested in Science then maybe it wont matter as much, but Colleges/Unis do care.

I had to get certain grades in Science to get into my College, regardless of the A-Levels I was taking.

To get onto Science courses, you're going to need both.
They don't count individually, really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Caitlin_3008
You HAVE to take both for it to count as anything, really.

You need Core and Additional to get into Colleges, too.
Core on it's own is sort of useless.

I'm unsure as to what you mean by this as this is not true.

OP, to my knowledge most schools make it compulsory to take both core and additional as oppose to the triple sciences.
Students of a lower aptitude for science took core science, students who were predicted Cs and Bs took additional science and those predicted A/A*s took triple science (but many opted to take additional sci because the school changed the exam board in year 11, so we only had 9 months to learn the entire course). I think the school took pity on us, allowing us to change to what we wanted to do. Also, if core/additional people performed better than expected in mocks, they were allowed to upgrade to additional/triple.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope, we only have Double and Triple.
No, at my school those who didn't select triple sciences as an option for their GCSEs had to take core science and additional science.
Reply 7
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I'm unsure as to what you mean by this as this is not true.

OP, to my knowledge most schools make it compulsory to take both core and additional as oppose to the triple sciences.

If you're wanting to do science A-Levels, you need both :yep: Honestly...
If you're wanting to do science A-Levels, you need both :yep: Honestly...

Given the OP made no mention of the A-level subjects he/she wanted to choose (or A-levels for that matter) your statement was somewhat fixated purely on speculation.
Reply 9
Given the OP made no mention of the A-level subjects he/she wanted to choose (or A-levels for that matter) your statement was somewhat fixated purely on speculation.

I just meant that Unis/Colleges count Core and Additional as one thing...
It's the equivalent of taking the separate sciences.

To get into my College, I needed certain grades in Science (even if I wasn't taking them for A-Level), so I'm just saying Colleges care...
Just trying to be helpful.
I just meant that Unis/Colleges count Core and Additional as one thing...
It's the equivalent of taking the separate sciences.

To get into my College, I needed certain grades in Science (even if I wasn't taking them for A-Level), so I'm just saying Colleges care...
Just trying to be helpful.

Oh okay, I didn't realise core & additional are counted as one. So hypothetically if someone had completed Maths, English, R.E , Core, Additional at GCSE level they would only have 4 GCSEs?
Reply 11
Oh okay, I didn't realise core & additional are counted as one. So hypothetically if someone had completed Maths, English, R.E , Core, Additional at GCSE level they would only have 4 GCSEs?

Not at all, no.

You get a separate GCSE for each, but the qualification is seen as including both...

I mean, read this:
"When combined with GCSE Additional Science, it can form the Science component of the English Baccalaureate (Ebacc) if students achieve A* to C grades in both GCSEs."

So really, you need both... I can't explain it very well, though :laugh:
if you were a dumbass, you could do core only
Original post by chukster97
if you were a dumbass, you could do core only

This is a bitter way to phrase it but from my perspective, I think that people who just stick with core science lack confidence and maybe determination. In my school, people who did core science were the type of people who messed around in lessons, didn't but any effort in and then complained about science being too hard for them. I don't know if this is the wrong thing to say but if you are willing to learn and actually put work in (not much work is needed for GCSE at all, when you finish them you'll understand) then go for triple, or additional if you seriously don't think you'd do well at triple.

I mean by all means you can research it online and see what the 3 dif options would be like. After all, how can you know if you'd enjoy triple science if you don't know what it entails?
We had single, double, triple and BTEC
Thanks for all the replies. Although 1 reply implied that you had to be a dumbass if you did core only... I did core only and got a B... not a 'dumbass' grade at all.
Thanks for the replies anyway.
Original post by WomenFartLoads
At your school, for GCSE are you allowed to take Core Science on its own? (without having to take additional science, thus just taking single award science)? Or do you HAVE to take both?

Have to do 3 separate sciences.
Most people did core and additional, unless they got below a C in the core, then they would spend the next year relearning core instead of doing additional with the rest of us.
Original post by rileystringer
This is a bitter way to phrase it but from my perspective, I think that people who just stick with core science lack confidence and maybe determination. In my school, people who did core science were the type of people who messed around in lessons, didn't but any effort in and then complained about science being too hard for them. I don't know if this is the wrong thing to say but if you are willing to learn and actually put work in (not much work is needed for GCSE at all, when you finish them you'll understand) then go for triple, or additional if you seriously don't think you'd do well at triple.

I mean by all means you can research it online and see what the 3 dif options would be like. After all, how can you know if you'd enjoy triple science if you don't know what it entails?

i did triple, piece of cake
Reply 19
Original post by chukster97
i did triple, piece of cake

Agreed. GCSE science is hardly worthy of being called difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest