The Student Room Group
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website

Any questions about University of Bedfordshire - Bedford Campus?

Hi,

I've just finished my second year at Bedford Uni - Bedford Campus.
If anyone has any questions about the uni, campus, town, nightlife etc, please feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer your questions :smile:.

Shana x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShanaE
Hi,

I've just finished my second year at Bedford Uni - Bedford Campus.
If anyone has any questions about the uni, campus, town, nightlife etc, please feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer your questions :smile:.

Shana x

Heyy I'm starting in September! What course are you doing? Do you like bedford uni? X
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotteyy
Heyy I'm starting in September! What course are you doing? Do you like bedford uni? X

Hiya! I'm currently doing disability studies, but after this year the course will no longer exist :frown: lol.
What are you doing?

I love the uni! The uni itself is quite small, so it's easy to find everything and everything you need is on campus :smile:. Are you staying there?

Because the uni is so small, everyone is so friendly and you tend to find that you know so many people without realising it lol - Everyone knows everyone which is really nice :smile:. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaE
Hiya! I'm currently doing disability studies, but after this year the course will no longer exist :frown: lol.
What are you doing?

I love the uni! The uni itself is quite small, so it's easy to find everything and everything you need is on campus :smile:. Are you staying there?

Because the uni is so small, everyone is so friendly and you tend to find that you know so many people without realising it lol - Everyone knows everyone which is really nice :smile:. x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that's good then! :smile: I'm going to be studying early years education. I actually moved to bedford last year to live with my boyfriend as he went to uni here and now works here so I'll be staying living with him. We live just down the road from the uni though. So I'm hoping I'll still be able to make friends and join in with as much as possible as well! X
Reply 4
Oh really, a couple of my friends/housemates do early years! I had some of the same lectures as them :smile:.

Quite a few people do early years, and you'll have combined lectures with other courses such as education studies, childhood and youth studies and education/English studies, so there are lots of people around you lol!

This year, I lived up the road from the uni too, and it was so handy and convenient - I could still wake up half an hour before my lecture and still make it in time lol!

You'll see lots of 'freshers angels' about within your first few weeks and they're so helpful for all the first years and show you round if you get lost :smile:. Have you heard about all of the sports groups? They're a great way to meet people. The sports teams train a few days a week, then on Wednesday (student night) all the sports teams do something called a 'circle'. This is kind of a pre-drink kind of thing which involves dressing up, so if you have any fancy dress items, don't get rid of them as if you join or know anyone who joins a circle, you'll most likely need them at some point!! Circle involves pre-drinking with your team mates and drinking games, then you move onto the Elements for the rest of the night! The best thing about 'circle' is that you don't even have to play the sport or sign up to it! For example, you can attend athletics circle, and go out with them every Wednesday, but do no athletic activity what so ever!! It's great haha!

But yeah, there is lots to do and in freshers week, try to do as much as possible - this way, you'll meet so many people and have the best time :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaE
Oh really, a couple of my friends/housemates do early years! I had some of the same lectures as them :smile:.

Quite a few people do early years, and you'll have combined lectures with other courses such as education studies, childhood and youth studies and education/English studies, so there are lots of people around you lol!

This year, I lived up the road from the uni too, and it was so handy and convenient - I could still wake up half an hour before my lecture and still make it in time lol!

You'll see lots of 'freshers angels' about within your first few weeks and they're so helpful for all the first years and show you round if you get lost :smile:. Have you heard about all of the sports groups? They're a great way to meet people. The sports teams train a few days a week, then on Wednesday (student night) all the sports teams do something called a 'circle'. This is kind of a pre-drink kind of thing which involves dressing up, so if you have any fancy dress items, don't get rid of them as if you join or know anyone who joins a circle, you'll most likely need them at some point!! Circle involves pre-drinking with your team mates and drinking games, then you move onto the Elements for the rest of the night! The best thing about 'circle' is that you don't even have to play the sport or sign up to it! For example, you can attend athletics circle, and go out with them every Wednesday, but do no athletic activity what so ever!! It's great haha!

But yeah, there is lots to do and in freshers week, try to do as much as possible - this way, you'll meet so many people and have the best time :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really, that sounds good then! Do you do many hours a week at uni or do you have lots of free time during the week? Yes I'm only a short walk from the uni so I'll be able to have a little lay in in the mornings lol. Haha that sounds like fun! Duno if I'd join any sports groups, I'm pretty useless at any sports haha. Just worried about being on my own at first as I won't be in the halls like everyone else, but hopefully it will be fine. I haven't heard anything from the uni about freshers or anything yet x
Reply 6
Oh really, that sounds good then! Do you do many hours a week at uni or do you have lots of free time during the week? Yes I'm only a short walk from the uni so I'll be able to have a little lay in in the mornings lol. Haha that sounds like fun! Duno if I'd join any sports groups, I'm pretty useless at any sports haha. Just worried about being on my own at first as I won't be in the halls like everyone else, but hopefully it will be fine. I haven't heard anything from the uni about freshers or anything yet x

I'm not part of a circle, but loads of my friends are and they love it!

To be honest, your not really in uni that much! Both last year and this year, I had 2 days off a week, which annoyed me so much at first because it's £9000 and year! I only had about 9 hours a week of uni last year, and 6 hours a week this year. But you are set work and research to do in your spare time.

So many people commute! I'm from Northampton and know quite a few people from home who go to the uni, and I'm the only one who lives in bedford, everyone else commutes - so many do it! Also, as the years go on, living on campus is starting to become less popular because it's expensive and the uni fees increased a couple of years ago and people don't have the money! So lots more people are going to be in the same boat as you, and are commuting themselves, so don't worry :smile:.

I suppose it's a bit early for info about freshers! You should be sent a 'freshers pack' or something when it comes to roughly the end of August telling you what is on and stuff! There is usually a fresher ball, plus nights out, and a freshers fair, where you can join up to sports teams. I joined up to about 5 different teams and not gone to any lol! Even if you don't sign up to anything, it's great fun, you get free things and vouchers for stuff and get a free slice of pizza or burger or something haha! A lot of my friends are 'fresher angels' this year and were last year, so if you haven't heard anything when it comes to about mid September, let me know and I can ask one of my friends what's going on!

But freshers is so much fun, whether you commute or live there, you just got to make the effort and go to loads of things! Everyone is so lovely and encourage you to go to loads of events with them! We've all been freshers before and know how scary it is that on your first day, you won't know anyone and you're nervous, but they (and all the other students like me lol) make you feel so relaxed and welcome, you'll have such a good time!

Sorry that my replies have been like essays lol :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaE
I'm not part of a circle, but loads of my friends are and they love it!

To be honest, your not really in uni that much! Both last year and this year, I had 2 days off a week, which annoyed me so much at first because it's £9000 and year! I only had about 9 hours a week of uni last year, and 6 hours a week this year. But you are set work and research to do in your spare time.

So many people commute! I'm from Northampton and know quite a few people from home who go to the uni, and I'm the only one who lives in bedford, everyone else commutes - so many do it! Also, as the years go on, living on campus is starting to become less popular because it's expensive and the uni fees increased a couple of years ago and people don't have the money! So lots more people are going to be in the same boat as you, and are commuting themselves, so don't worry :smile:.

I suppose it's a bit early for info about freshers! You should be sent a 'freshers pack' or something when it comes to roughly the end of August telling you what is on and stuff! There is usually a fresher ball, plus nights out, and a freshers fair, where you can join up to sports teams. I joined up to about 5 different teams and not gone to any lol! Even if you don't sign up to anything, it's great fun, you get free things and vouchers for stuff and get a free slice of pizza or burger or something haha! A lot of my friends are 'fresher angels' this year and were last year, so if you haven't heard anything when it comes to about mid September, let me know and I can ask one of my friends what's going on!

But freshers is so much fun, whether you commute or live there, you just got to make the effort and go to loads of things! Everyone is so lovely and encourage you to go to loads of events with them! We've all been freshers before and know how scary it is that on your first day, you won't know anyone and you're nervous, but they (and all the other students like me lol) make you feel so relaxed and welcome, you'll have such a good time!

Sorry that my replies have been like essays lol :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw That's ok thank you for taking the time to tell me about everything! :smile: it's nice to know about things as I don't really know anything as I applied late and haven't been to an open day or anything so feel kinda unprepared lol.

Oh that sounds really good then! I'm just worried about going to the freshers fair etc on my own but I suppose you get chatting to everyone whilst your there anyways don't you. Plus it's worth going just for a free slice of pizza haha. I do want to go to as much as possible during freshers week, everyone does say its really good :smile: what do you think about bedford nightlife? I've only been out a few times since I moved here.

It's nice to know that not everyone lives in halls though! And it does seem like the course will not be that many hours which is a way is good. Do you work part time too?

Sorry about all the questions lol x
Reply 8
Aw That's ok thank you for taking the time to tell me about everything! :smile: it's nice to know about things as I don't really know anything as I applied late and haven't been to an open day or anything so feel kinda unprepared lol.

Oh that sounds really good then! I'm just worried about going to the freshers fair etc on my own but I suppose you get chatting to everyone whilst your there anyways don't you. Plus it's worth going just for a free slice of pizza haha. I do want to go to as much as possible during freshers week, everyone does say its really good :smile: what do you think about bedford nightlife? I've only been out a few times since I moved here.

It's nice to know that not everyone lives in halls though! And it does seem like the course will not be that many hours which is a way is good. Do you work part time too?

Sorry about all the questions lol x

Haha I remember the summer before I started uni, I was so nervous and wanted someone to tell me about everything to do with the uni lol!

Bedford nightlife is okay - I only really go out on student nights which is every Monday (Vibe) and Wednesday (Elements ). Thursday in Yates is always good because it's karaoke and I find it hilarious and a lot of people from the uni go there to have a few drinks and stuff anyway. I only go out student nights because it's much cheaper than weekends, and a lot of my friends work all weekend or go home and stuff.

As the uni is so small, we'll probably see each other around, and not even realise it haha!

Whilst I was at uni I didn't work, but when it's school holidays, I came home and worked at a playscheme for kids with special needs. That job is great because it's only in the school holidays so most of the time I'm home from uni anyway, so it's much easier for me to get to work as I don't have a car :frown:. However, this year I'll be working every Saturday as my playscheme has a group in bedford and they said I could work there when I get back to uni in September. As it's only one day a week it will be good because I'll still have loads of spare time to work on my dissertation and other assignments/exams. I know some people who literally work everyday, then get stressed when it comes to deadlines because they either haven't finished their work, or it's rubbish because they haven't had the time to do it properly! But I've never struggled with money as I'm quite good at saving it, and I get a bursary every year which helps me out a lot... My bursary is currently in my 'car fund' as I don't have to pay that back :smile:.

Don't worry about all the questions, I was the same! Just happy I can help someone out :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaE
Haha I remember the summer before I started uni, I was so nervous and wanted someone to tell me about everything to do with the uni lol!

Bedford nightlife is okay - I only really go out on student nights which is every Monday (Vibe) and Wednesday (Elements ). Thursday in Yates is always good because it's karaoke and I find it hilarious and a lot of people from the uni go there to have a few drinks and stuff anyway. I only go out student nights because it's much cheaper than weekends, and a lot of my friends work all weekend or go home and stuff.

As the uni is so small, we'll probably see each other around, and not even realise it haha!

Whilst I was at uni I didn't work, but when it's school holidays, I came home and worked at a playscheme for kids with special needs. That job is great because it's only in the school holidays so most of the time I'm home from uni anyway, so it's much easier for me to get to work as I don't have a car :frown:. However, this year I'll be working every Saturday as my playscheme has a group in bedford and they said I could work there when I get back to uni in September. As it's only one day a week it will be good because I'll still have loads of spare time to work on my dissertation and other assignments/exams. I know some people who literally work everyday, then get stressed when it comes to deadlines because they either haven't finished their work, or it's rubbish because they haven't had the time to do it properly! But I've never struggled with money as I'm quite good at saving it, and I get a bursary every year which helps me out a lot... My bursary is currently in my 'car fund' as I don't have to pay that back :smile:.

Don't worry about all the questions, I was the same! Just happy I can help someone out :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you very much, I really appreciate your help :smile:

Oh that sounds pretty good then, I do love a bit of karaoke haha. I haven't been out on a student night since I was at college but can remember they did used to be much cheaper. I've now just turned 21 so hopefully won't be like a grandma and old compared to all the other new people starting lol! Yes we may bump into each other as some point at uni :smile:

Aw that sounds really good! I used to work at a special educational needs school before I moved to Bedford last year I loved it! I'll probably need to get a part time job as my loan won't cover my living costs but going to wait till ive started and am settled etc before I get one. I would love not to work but hopefully will only be about 15 hours a week, well that's my plan lol.

Aw that's a good idea saving for a car! I was silly and got one on finance a couple of years ago...one of the worst decisions I've ever made lol.

Will you be in your last year this September then? X
Reply 10
Aw thank you very much, I really appreciate your help :smile:

Oh that sounds pretty good then, I do love a bit of karaoke haha. I haven't been out on a student night since I was at college but can remember they did used to be much cheaper. I've now just turned 21 so hopefully won't be like a grandma and old compared to all the other new people starting lol! Yes we may bump into each other as some point at uni :smile:

Aw that sounds really good! I used to work at a special educational needs school before I moved to Bedford last year I loved it! I'll probably need to get a part time job as my loan won't cover my living costs but going to wait till ive started and am settled etc before I get effort eone. I would love not to work but hopefully will only be about 15 hours a week, well that's my plan lol.

Aw that's a good idea saving for a car! I was silly and got one on finance a couple of years ago...one of the worst decisions I've ever made lol.

Will you be in your last year this September then? X

Yeah, student night are so much cheaper!! And most of the people who are on my course are like, 10 years older than me - there are only 3 of us who came straight from sixth form or college and we all get on really well! But even on the other courses like early years, there are still a lot of people who haven't come straight from school, and worked a few years before starting uni :smile:. So you won't be on your own I'm sure haha!

See, my brother has special needs and whilst I was at sixth form, I volunteered one day a week at a special needs school and absolutely loved it!!! It's so rewarding :smile:.

Yeah, September will be my last year :frown: lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaE
Yeah, student night are so much cheaper!! And most of the people who are on my course are like, 10 years older than me - there are only 3 of us who came straight from sixth form or college and we all get on really well! But even on the other courses like early years, there are still a lot of people who haven't come straight from school, and worked a few years before starting uni :smile:. So you won't be on your own I'm sure haha!

See, my brother has special needs and whilst I was at sixth form, I volunteered one day a week at a special needs school and absolutely loved it!!! It's so rewarding :smile:.

Yeah, September will be my last year :frown: lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh well that's good to know :smile: I'm looking forward to going now, I just want September to hurry up so I can stop working full time and start lol.

Aw you will have to make sure you make the most of your last year :smile: x
Reply 12
Oh well that's good to know :smile: I'm looking forward to going now, I just want September to hurry up so I can stop working full time and start lol.

Aw you will have to make sure you make the most of your last year :smile: x

Haha yeah I was exactly the same!!

Glad I could help answer some of your questions :smile:. If you have any more over the course of the summer, do let me know and I will do my best to answer them :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaE
Haha yeah I was exactly the same!!

Glad I could help answer some of your questions :smile:. If you have any more over the course of the summer, do let me know and I will do my best to answer them :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do! Thank you very much for all your help :smile: I may see you in September! Lol x
I'm also shortly going into my second year, so feel free to ask me any questions! Especially regarding my course - Primary Education with QTS :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Skip_Snip
I'm also shortly going into my second year, so feel free to ask me any questions! Especially regarding my course - Primary Education with QTS :smile:

I'm beginning my UCAS application to study Primary Education in September 2015 and am actually getting relly excited about it but also a tad confused and need a litte guidance - so far I have found a course that has enticed me extremely well! A 4 year MA(HONS) at the University of Dundee - this was very risky looking into it as It is in scotland therefore strolling a bit outside of my comfort zone as I live not far from London.

My next course I was looking at was the safer one; Oxford Brookes, purely cause I love the city and that my older sister went there and was employed straight away during her last year.

However, when comparing the two courses the one at Dundee makes me most excited as it opens up my job oppurtunities massively; a 4 year course which equips you to study primary education from nursery years ( 3 years old) all the way up to the end of primary school ( 12 years old).

But still I struggle over a few issues like how risky is it to apply for a scottish Uni when I know nothing about it other than it's hilly and has an awesome edinburgh festival. Also what is the difference between a BA(HONS) and an MA(HONS); I know that the MA(HONS) has something to do with master of the arts? is that more prestigious than the BA(HONS), despite them both having the same entry requirements grade wise?

Thanks guys! hope you can help - help would be much appreciated!!!
cheers, Seb
Original post by calvs001
x

Hi Seb :smile:

I can only offer so much guidance because I didn't apply for MAs or Scottish unis, but I can tell you that a BA will make you perfectly employable if you want to go into teaching, if doing an MA makes a difference, it will only be by a hair's width. Unless I'm much mistaken, the MA is only much more advantageous if you want to do further courses after you graduate; if you want to teach immediately after graduating you may as well do a BA :smile:
Reply 17
cheers :smile:
hello guys, does anyone knows a better accommodation for students in Luton than Hatbox - crm students ??? In my oppinion hatbox is the best in Luton atm but I just wanted to double check with you.

Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by qwertybob22
hello guys, does anyone knows a better accommodation for students in Luton than Hatbox - crm students ??? In my oppinion hatbox is the best in Luton atm but I just wanted to double check with you.

Thanks

Hiya, I'm afraid I'm at the bedford campus, and don't really know too much about Luton, sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending