The Student Room Group

Should i go for biomed?

Guy im seriously unsure what to do. I was planning to apply for medicine next year, and was hoping to get 3 As this year. I felt, and im not sure but i feel others do too, that some of the A2 exams (especially edexcel ones) were alot tougher this year and i fear i might not be able to make those grades. I applied for biomed this year, and not mediicne straight as i wanted to explore what its like being a doctor a bit more- like i wanted to be sure this is what i wanted. So i decided to apply slightly late. I have an offer to study biomed at St georges- ABB. I kow they do a transfer some biomed student to the meidcal course after two years. But would this be a risky option to take? Should i resit my exams next year? i literally have no cleu what to do and asked the school but they r not being helpful.
Thank you all your help
Do you want to do biomed? If yes, go for it

If no, then retake and apply for Medicine.

Transfers or Grad entry is much more competitive
Reply 2
Original post by Buggybear1
Guy im seriously unsure what to do. I was planning to apply for medicine next year, and was hoping to get 3 As this year. I felt, and im not sure but i feel others do too, that some of the A2 exams (especially edexcel ones) were alot tougher this year and i fear i might not be able to make those grades. I applied for biomed this year, and not mediicne straight as i wanted to explore what its like being a doctor a bit more- like i wanted to be sure this is what i wanted. So i decided to apply slightly late. I have an offer to study biomed at St georges- ABB. I kow they do a transfer some biomed student to the meidcal course after two years. But would this be a risky option to take? Should i resit my exams next year? i literally have no cleu what to do and asked the school but they r not being helpful.
Thank you all your help

Heres the issue with Bio-Med.
If you do bio med, you may not get into medicine after or during the course. Most likely you will not. This is a big risk
If you do end up with a bio medical degree, graduate jobs are not easy to come by and the salary wont be too great either. Not to mention, you may have little interest in it
Have you thought about similar healthcare professions
Optometry/pharmacy etc?
Reply 3
Original post by teen1234
Heres the issue with Bio-Med.
If you do bio med, you may not get into medicine after or during the course. Most likely you will not. This is a big risk
If you do end up with a bio medical degree, graduate jobs are not easy to come by and the salary wont be too great either. Not to mention, you may have little interest in it
Have you thought about similar healthcare professions
Optometry/pharmacy etc?

Thanks very much for your reply. I would be more interested in something like optometry rather than pharmacy, but i will loo kinto it more. Do you think that if i resat soem exams, would i be able to apply? For AS for example, i got AAAB and at GCSE i have 6a* 2As 1B.
Reply 4
Thanks very much for your reply. I would be more interested in something like optometry rather than pharmacy, but i will loo kinto it more. Do you think that if i resat soem exams, would i be able to apply? For AS for example, i got AAAB and at GCSE i have 6a* 2As 1B.

You can still get into optometry even with resitting a year.
Your GCSEs are very similar to mine :biggrin:
Reply 5
You can still get into optometry even with resitting a year.
Your GCSEs are very similar to mine :biggrin:

o right great :smile: did u apply for med this year? Do u think that ill be able to apply for mediicen if i retook some A2 Exams? Ive heard places like Brampton college help alot
Reply 6
o right great :smile: did u apply for med this year? Do u think that ill be able to apply for mediicen if i retook some A2 Exams? Ive heard places like Brampton college help alot

Dentistry:P Im not 100% sure if you can get into medicine with a retake year (I know you cant for dentistry). Im pretty sure most of them dont allow it. Although, I think a few allow retakes as long as you did decently well at A2 the first time
Reply 7
Dentistry:P Im not 100% sure if you can get into medicine with a retake year (I know you cant for dentistry). Im pretty sure most of them dont allow it. Although, I think a few allow retakes as long as you did decently well at A2 the first time

oh ok thanks :smile: if you dont mind me asking did u get any offers? and did u take any edexcel subject this year?
Reply 8
oh ok thanks :smile: if you dont mind me asking did u get any offers? and did u take any edexcel subject this year?

I got my grades last year but didnt get in the first time round:frown: but I got one offer this year :biggrin:
I got 717.5ukcat and A*A*A in my a levels if you were wondering:smile:
Thank you all your help

The great majority of medical schools do not allow resits in your year out, I'm afraid, unless there are mitigating circumstances. If you get AAA, and you definitely want to do medicine, I would advise taking the year out and applying and graduate level is a lot more competitive. If the grades do not go your way, I would take the biomed course, unless you changed your mind and wanted to do pharm or optometry as you are allowed to retake exams for those courses in a year out.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by überambitious_ox
The great majority of medical schools do not allow resits in your year out, I'm afraid, unless there are mitigating circumstances. If you get AAA, and you definitely want to do medicine, I would advise taking the year out and applying and graduate level is a lot more competitive. If the grades do not go your way, I would take the biomed course, unless you changed your mind and wanted to do pharm or optometry as you are allowed to retake exams for those courses in a year out.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you. The thing is ive always wanted to do medicine- liek always. Not because of the money or the presitge, but the satisfaction in helping others and love for sciences. Do u think i shoudl consider goign abroad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending