The Student Room Group

Who has owned a 2nd hand car?

Has anyone owned a 2nd hand car? How was it? Good? Bad?

Scroll to see replies

Watch the clutch.
Reply 2
Original post by Herpiethetroll
Watch the clutch.

What happened to yours?
Original post by kka25
What happened to yours?

They just wear out over time, especially if you hold the clutch at the bite at signals ( which you should never do). Only hold at the bite when you are ready to move off.
My father gave me his Bugatti Veyron. Although I am not sure if that counts, he only drove it once or twice up and down our runway.

Does it count?
Original post by CrawfordRolex
My father gave me his Bugatti Veyron. Although I am not sure if that counts, he only drove it once or twice up and down our runway.

Does it count?

Guess so.
Original post by Herpiethetroll
Guess so.

Ah, kinda taints it a bit, then.
Reply 7
Original post by kka25
Has anyone owned a 2nd hand car? How was it? Good? Bad?

I have had three 2nd hand cars. They were all spot on. 1 was a private sale, which I was quite scared about since it hadnt been checked over. And the other 2 where from a garage.

Never had any scares or costly repairs needed doing.

Just use your brain, if it looks to cheap to be true, it probably has a problem and the seller wants rid of it. Also test drive anything before you by it. Try and give it a little bit of a thrashing so you can see how it handles etc :yy:
Reply 8
Original post by CrawfordRolex

Does it count?

Sure. Bless your dad :smile:

Original post by Twinport53
I have had three 2nd hand cars. They were all spot on. 1 was a private sale, which I was quite scared about since it hadnt been checked over. And the other 2 where from a garage.

Never had any scares or costly repairs needed doing.

Just use your brain, if it looks to cheap to be true, it probably has a problem and the seller wants rid of it. Also test drive anything before you by it. Try and give it a little bit of a thrashing so you can see how it handles etc :yy:

Thanks!

Well... I did test drive some of them; so far everything looks fine. But some of the cars would make some funny (vibrating) noises e.g. whilst reversing, or something needs repairing e.g. radio/CD player, etc.

I'm not too sure to what extent I can trust the 2nd hand cars really.
My worst fear it that it will stop in the middle of the highway : /

Should we expect the owner/dealer repair or service the car?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by kka25

Thanks!

Well... I did test drive some of them; so far everything looks fine. But some of the cars would make some funny (vibrating) noises e.g. whilst reversing, or something needs repairing e.g. radio/CD player, etc.

I'm not too sure to what extent I can trust the 2nd hand cars really.
My worst fear it that it will stopped in the middle of the highway : /

Should we expect the owner/dealer repair or service the car?

No worries man :smile:

Test driving is good, but seriously throw it around abit haha, also get it up to 70mph *cough* or quicker *cough* and see if there is any major noises or if the steering feels funny aswell.

There is alot of trust involved yeah, where are you looking? Privately and going round to somebodies house? Or like a garage / dealer?

Most 2nd hand dealers will inspect the car and service it before selling it too you. If you want to be extra careful try and get them to do a full service or even the MOT if it is due, then they should do most of the repairs if anything is needed :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Bought a Fiesta in 2009 with one previous owner. Still have it now and she drives perfectly :h: (even after a couple bumps). These things can be hit and miss and depends if you're looking in garages or direct :smile:
I have, but thankfully I have a relative who is a mechanic and he checked the car out for me.
No, but I've had a second hand bike in the past. It was too big for me as my feet barely touched the peddles.
Reply 13
Original post by Twinport53
There is alot of trust involved yeah, where are you looking? Privately and going round to somebodies house? Or like a garage / dealer?

Actually I've been to both; I think the former is easier to trust since the later, I speculate, normally will tweak the mileage : /

Most 2nd hand dealers will inspect the car and service it before selling it too you. If you want to be extra careful try and get them to do a full service or even the MOT if it is due, then they should do most of the repairs if anything is needed :smile:

Yeah, this is something that I want these sellers to do; I met this one private one who implied that I need to service the car and not him : /
Yes I have a 2nd hand fiesta. The problems usually crop up when it has to go for MOT. It runs fine, but inevitably there has to be some money spent on a repair/upgrade to pass MOT. This is what annoys me. The upkeep of the car is not an advantage. Plus, recently this lady scratched and dented the driver side when she was pulling into a signal next to me. The garage said that the repairs cost more than the value of the car. So, I probably only have the car till its next MOT :frown:

Other than that, if it's in good condition which mine was, then it should be a good runner! I bought it from someone I know very well - so I was not nervous about being conned etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
I broke my second hand handbrake when I changed to second gear and braked.
Reply 16
Original post by Melancholy
I broke my second hand handbrake when I changed to second gear and braked.

:eek:
I've owned two and they were both great. The brakes were a little dodgy on the second but I knew that when I bought it.
I had to make-do with my dad's old range rover as my first car.
Reply 19
Original post by redferry
I've owned two and they were both great. The brakes were a little dodgy on the second but I knew that when I bought it.

What were the cars? Any tips for me for buying one?

I'm not too sure if I can be picky with 2nd hand cars. The last owner said to me that as long as the engines are fine, the rest I can 'fix' myself :s-smilie:

Original post by Cloud nine.
I had to make-do with my dad's old range rover as my first car.

A range rover would be awesome for a 2nd hand car :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest