The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ash92:)
I'm also on talktalk, and my connection keeps friggin breaking. I'm so fed up that I cba to call them up again :colonhash:

Yeah, you would be wasting your time calling them. Unless you haven't tried restarting your router, restarting your computer and trying other browsers, they have no other recommendations. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by Iqbal007
Have you tried the speed check via another device ?
Or another router?

This seems really odd :/
I have been having issues as well with talktalk, due to a unstable connection.

Yeah, I have tried doing a speed test on my dad's laptop and my tablet and get the same slow results. I posted on the TalkTalk forums earlier and I'm waiting for a response. I will see what they say.

I seriously wonder if anybody receives a consistently good service from TalkTalk.
Original post by NathanW18
Yeah, you would be wasting your time calling them. Unless you haven't tried restarting your router, restarting your computer and trying other browsers, they have no other recommendations. :rolleyes:

lol ikr. Resetting the wireless channel worked for a couple of weeks, then the problem continued. They keep asking me to book an engineer - but I had enough of that a year or two ago. They didn't know enough about wireless adapters to help me identify whether my adapter was the problem. They always ask me to use an ethernet connection for testing, but I've stopped doing this as my pc is in a different room to the router. The last time I spoke to them, I realised I knew more about attempting to resolve the connectivity issue than that particular advisor.
Yeah, I have tried doing a speed test on my dad's laptop and my tablet and get the same slow results. I posted on the TalkTalk forums earlier and I'm waiting for a response. I will see what they say.

I seriously wonder if anybody receives a consistently good service from TalkTalk.

I actually have done the same looool except for a profile reset.
I definitely think it's a issue with at home, possibly the router from the looks of it.......have you tried a reset? or updating the router firmware?
Reply 24
Original post by ash92:)
lol ikr. Resetting the wireless channel worked for a couple of weeks, then the problem continued. They keep asking me to book an engineer - but I had enough of that a year or two ago. They didn't know enough about wireless adapters to help me identify whether my adapter was the problem. They always ask me to use an ethernet connection for testing, but I've stopped doing this as my pc is in a different room to the router. The last time I spoke to them, I realised I knew more about attempting to resolve the connectivity issue than that particular advisor.

Haha, they always ask about an engineer. I have one scheduled to come out, but I'm undecided in whether I will cancel or not. I don't want to be charged £50, when I'm not convinced that the problem is with any of our equipment.

I get that the advisor's aren't engineers, but they really don't seem to have a clue. They just read off their checklist sheet and if none of those solve the problem, they advise for an engineer visit or fob you off.

I actually have done the same looool except for a profile reset.
I definitely think it's a issue with at home, possibly the router from the looks of it.......have you tried a reset? or updating the router firmware?

Looks like it'll take a while for them to get to my request. The forum is full of queries. I have tried a reset and it didn't work. I haven't updated the firmware. I will attempt that and see what happens.
Haha, they always ask about an engineer. I have one scheduled to come out, but I'm undecided in whether I will cancel or not. I don't want to be charged £50, when I'm not convinced that the problem is with any of our equipment.

I get that the advisor's aren't engineers, but they really don't seem to have a clue. They just read off their checklist sheet and if none of those solve the problem, they advise for an engineer visit or fob you off.

I concur, absolutely.

The last advisor didn't even know how to 'change the wireless channel', nor what this meant, even though the person I spoke to on the occasion before this told me about it. I ended up telling him how to do it :colonhash:
my router channel selection was on auto which slowed my speeds, I once got told to stop being stupid and change channel to 1, 6, or 11... Seems to work, when one gets slow I switch to another... Pretty straight forward...

In defence of talktalk I never had a problem, found their customer service to be helpful, but people have different experiences so...........

Looks like it'll take a while for them to get to my request. The forum is full of queries. I have tried a reset and it didn't work. I haven't updated the firmware. I will attempt that and see what happens.

Same thing is happening to me now, router speed is up but connection between router and computer is extremely slow in comparison.

Original post by SubAtomic
my router channel selection was on auto which slowed my speeds, I once got told to stop being stupid and change channel to 1, 6, or 11... Seems to work, when one gets slow I switch to another... Pretty straight forward...

In defence of talktalk I never had a problem, found their customer service to be helpful, but people have different experiences so...........

Try using an app called wifi anaylser, helps you to pick the right channel depending on what every other router near you is on.
Reply 28

My router has pretty much always been on channel 6. I will attempt to switch it around if the speed drops.

Do you call their call centres or speak to them on their forum? The call centre staff are not in any way helpful. They only ever tell you to attempt the obvious things that you have already done. Fair play if you've had a better experience with them, but I find that they only seem to know how to read off of a list.

Try using an app called wifi anaylser, helps you to pick the right channel depending on what every other router near you is on.

Hmm, I will actually try that app myself. My router has always been on channel 6. I'll see what this app suggests.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
I've been with TalkTalk for years now and it's always been around the same speed as you. Although for the last 2 months there has been problems and it's been around 10kb/s and they still haven't found the problem so i'm changing to BT. Terrible customer service.
My router has pretty much always been on channel 6. I will attempt to switch it around if the speed drops.

Do you call their call centres or speak to them on their forum? The call centre staff are not in any way helpful. They only ever tell you to attempt the obvious things that you have already done. Fair play if you've had a better experience with them, but I find that they only seem to know how to read off of a list.

I call the number, yes some read off a list but other times they have putme through to the 'experts' (maybe they have a bigger list :ahee: )

Otherwise yes I switch around channels once in a while to see if my speeds increase.

Hope you get it sorted...

Slow internet :angry:
BT are just as bad, I was stuck on a 0.25mb connection for years, thank god for fiber optic.
Wired connection I can get 75 down and 20 up !
I call the number, yes some read off a list but other times they have putme through to the 'experts' (maybe they have a bigger list :ahee: )

Otherwise yes I switch around channels once in a while to see if my speeds increase.

use wifi anaylser app and then pick a nice clear channel..........it could also be the fact that theres far too many routers around you which is interfering with the wifi of the router, so may wanna get a better router or have more than one in the house.
use wifi anaylser app and then pick a nice clear channel..........it could also be the fact that theres far too many routers around you which is interfering with the wifi of the router, so may wanna get a better router or have more than one in the house.

I had a look at app but that's for phone not lappy, analyzers for lappy cost, routers cost, my concern is costless other than monthly line rental :eek:

but yeah my router is poop. free though (well you know what I mean)

bit para about freeware (other than av) as my comp seems pretty well behaved at min...

I sit about 2 meters away from my router so no need for more.
(edited 9 years ago)
I had a look at app but that's for phone not lappy, analyzers for lappy cost, routers cost, my concern is costless other than monthly line rental :eek:

but yeah my router is poop. free though (well you know what I mean)

bit para about freeware (other than av) as my comp seems pretty well behaved at min...

I sit about 2 meters away from my router so no need for more.

use it on your phone, it'll tell you the channels the other routers are on.

Consider moving the router to a more central poistion?
Reply 35
i deffo dont recomment sky at all. they are so much ****tier
Been on TalkTalk as long as I can remember (probably about a decade). Never had any issues which can't be resolved by turning the router off and on again, and our router hasn't been changed since the days of dialup.

But yeah, I had to phone up TalkTalk a few years back and they were ****. Luckily for me, our service hasn't been interrupted much.
Reply 37
Original post by Jamie45
I've been with TalkTalk for years now and it's always been around the same speed as you. Although for the last 2 months there has been problems and it's been around 10kb/s and they still haven't found the problem so i'm changing to BT. Terrible customer service.

The customer service is awful. I would try TalkTalk's forums. Their reps on there are far more useful than anybody you will speak to on the phone.

My speed has increased to a level which I find more acceptable. I used the channel analyser that was recommended in the thread and I found 3 other channels that had a better connection. A reset and firmware upgrade also seemed to help.

Original post by College_Dropout
BT are just as bad, I was stuck on a 0.25mb connection for years, thank god for fiber optic.
Wired connection I can get 75 down and 20 up !

I would kill for a connection that good. :frown:

Is it BT's customer service that's bad or the connection isn't stable?

Original post by anon.006

Sky aren't an option. They don't offer a good package in my area. It's concerning how it seems to be a choice between who is the least ****.

Original post by TurboCretin
Been on TalkTalk as long as I can remember (probably about a decade). Never had any issues which can't be resolved by turning the router off and on again, and our router hasn't been changed since the days of dialup.

But yeah, I had to phone up TalkTalk a few years back and they were ****. Luckily for me, our service hasn't been interrupted much.

I always attempt to turn the router off and back on. That tends to fix things 90% of the time. If that doesn't work, a reset helps maybe another 5% of the time. If that doesn't work, it tends to sort itself out over a few days. It's still frustrating when the connection goes down to dial up speeds and won't increase.

Good to hear that you have had a consistently decent service.

This is what I get now:

TalkTalk say my profile is set to 15mbps, but it isn't reaching that. My line is supposedly capable of 19mbps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anon.006

I could not agree with you more. Originally we were on O2 till Sky tookover. When it was O2 there were absolutely no problems but now we get lower speeds and internet disconnects EVERY NIGHT! Had to ring them twice just to get to the point where they did something (sent me another router free of charge) but even so that didn't work. I've just given up now! We were promised around 8mb/s and minimum of 5mb/s but all I've ever seen tops is 500kb/s!!! Also I live near the Manchester City centre so I don't know what all the fuss is about with the appalling speed!!

Another thing I hate is how company's now have this Megabit (Mb which is like 1/8 of a MB I believe) and megabytes (MB) for their internet speeds which I find is so freakin deceiving for the average customer!! I swear there's no technical reason other than to con people...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
My connections at dial up speed now. Talk talk need to sort themselves out.

Latest

Trending

Trending