The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Erm, I suppose technically when I was about 10 months (dad gave me whisky to numb the pain in teething), but if actually drinking as a drink, about 10 and a couple of alcopops.

2% is fairly weak, one bottle of that shouldn't affect you too much, but I'd still drink slowly and with food if you've never drunk before. However, don't feel you have to drink - if you aren't comfortable drinking, then don't.
I think I had my first proper drink (i.e. more than a sip) when I was 17 - a pint of beer in a restaurant with a meal. I got drunk for the first time at 19 whilst at university. I was very nervous during that first pint of lager, I remember, but I have no regrets about any of my drinking experiences or my decision to start drinking.
I'm 15 and my parents have always let me have half a drink with them, i can't even remember the first time :P It's not a big deal so long as you don't get into it :wink: I can handle multiple drinks now (not that i drink all the time- only on occasions) and still be fine, but i don't think it's a great idea to have more than one drink at a party, you should know your limit in a safe place first :smile:

I realize this makes me sound like a rebel, but i literally go to like 1 or two parties per year and study hard the rest of the time
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Autistic Merit
I think I had my first proper drink (i.e. more than a sip) when I was 17 - a pint of beer in a restaurant with a meal. I got drunk for the first time at 19 whilst at university. I was very nervous during that first pint of lager, I remember, but I have no regrets about any of my drinking experiences or my decision to start drinking.

5 drinks at a cousin's wedding and i was fine, it's different for everyone :smile:
I had my first alcoholic drink at 18 - Fresher's week.

Whilst I very rarely drink now, I did have a glass of wine with my lunch today.
I'd wait until you feel ready, you can always decide that you just don't want to drink, your liver would be better off, that's a respectable decision, don't drink because you're under pressure to go with the crowd
About 13/14. It was a glass of white wine at Christmas with dinner :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My first drink was when I was 14. I got drunk with my friend at her house. We were under supervision and we were safe so that's one of the only good things about the situation. I don't really regret doing it when I did I just wish we didn't get so messed up that night :s-smilie: I would say go for it if you really want to. Drinking isn't that big a deal to me as long as you don't go overboard :smile: Hope this helped :tongue:
Reply 9
Started drinking with meals at 14, first got drunk when I was 15. One bottle of radler will not make you drunk but that doesn't mean you have to drink it if you're not ready for alcohol, it's no big deal really.
5, my parents used to let us have lemonade with wine in it at Christmas dinner, which progressed into just wine when I was about 12, first time drunk was 14, under supervision, some might think that's a bad thing but I did learn how quickly alcohol can affect you and how it sometimes doesn't seem like it's affecting you that much till it gets really bad all of a sudden. But everyone's different and if you don't feel ready to drink then don't feel pressured by anyone else. :smile:
Probably about 8 when I had a sip of my dad's beer.

But I assume you mean a proper drink/drinking session and not just sipping your dad's beer.

My first glass of drink may have been at dinner with my parents around age 12 or 13 (a very small glass of wine).

But, the first time I got hold of alcohol to take to a party and get drunk, was summer after year 9 and just before year 10 started .. so I was just turned 14 by a month or two.

So I think it's okay for you to start drinking. Don't go mad because you don't know your body or what it's like with alcohol - it takes time to get used to it.

Also 2% won't do anything to you apart from make you a teeny bit happier by the end of the bottle. Haha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Had a sip of my mum's champagne on New Years when I was about 11. Thought it tasted like cat piss.

Had my first proper drink around a year ago. I think it was Jack Daniels and coke, but can't really remember. Also thought it tasted like cat piss. Only things I can really stand to drink are vodka mixers :lol:

I've never actually been drunk. I don't see the appeal of vomiting your stomach lining into a toilet...
Reply 13
Grandad used to put whisky in my milk bottle when I was a baby, but my friends parents let us sleepover with alcohol at theirs when we were 13, they're well off so would buy us sourz, vodka and beer as well as days out and lots of food haha, I thought it was great. Other parents werent so impressed but my mum said she'd rather I was drinking in a safe setting where there were adults upstairs rather than on the streets and I've turned out ok. I'm 18 now and at the most go out a few times a month
(edited 9 years ago)
Daddy gave me some of his wine when I was around eightish but I had hastily proceeded to spit it out in the sink :rofl:

I just don't like the taste of alcohol, I'm just like my mother :teehee:
12 and it was 3 of the big bottles of Blue WKD. Me and my friend thought we would be smart and steal her big bro's booze. I was ill after it and my mum had to pick me up at 3am. We didn't get into too much trouble. After that I didn't drink regularly til I was 16. My mum used to get me a 4 pack of Bacardi Breezers every week with the shopping and I would have one while watching the tv at the weekend. My mum was ok with me drinking from 16+ as long as I was either in the house or at a friend's house that she knew and trusted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Dad used to give us some with our meal on Fridays.
Original post by katycat
I'm 16, my friends all drink when they go to party's, I have never drank. My sister (aged 22) gave me a bottle of radler (2%) and I am scared of drinking it. Should I just do it or wait until I'm ready? When did you start drinking? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Properly, when I was 13, although my parents had given me small glasses of beer or wine before that.

The earlier you start, the earlier you learn your limits and how to handle yourself in a mature manner. Its always the late starters that embarrass themselves later in life.
About 4 or 5. First full drink about 11.
Reply 19
I was quite old - probably about 18. I think I had half a bottle of Asti or something. It wasn't particularly memorable.