The Student Room Group

Durable earphones

Hey TSR!

right so basically, for the past 4-5 years, since I started to listen to music on a regular basis, every year I'm having to look for new earphones.

I like those in-ear ones, but every one of them, within a year or less, all of them seem to malfunction at the jack-end, to which either the left or right ear breaks.

Can anyone tell me of earphones that are durable, ie will last me at least 2 years to the good without having to worry about getting a new pair, spending more money.
they should also be of good sound quality, with a nice bass range+ frequency or whatever (they should sound clean)

My budget is £20 max, but only if it's a certain durable one...I've brought pairs around that price which have let me down (ideally it would be max £15, but I can stretch that extra fiver :P)

PS: earphones I've tried:
1) JVC XXX HA (something) (the big ones, usually red cord) [twice]
2) Creatives ep-630 (loved these, but alas just broke now for aboslutely no reason (no visible sign of damage though))
3) Skullcandy titans
4) sony earphone...not sure of the make...(one of my very first ones, lasted 1.5-2 years i remember...can't seem to find those anymore though)
5) Also have had standard earphones which are given when buying new phone

I've heard people talk about sennheisers as very good..however they can sometimes be over £20, and some still say that they may not last as long
Original post by moey3
Hey TSR!

right so basically, for the past 4-5 years, since I started to listen to music on a regular basis, every year I'm having to look for new earphones.

I like those in-ear ones, but every one of them, within a year or less, all of them seem to malfunction at the jack-end, to which either the left or right ear breaks.

Can anyone tell me of earphones that are durable, ie will last me at least 2 years to the good without having to worry about getting a new pair, spending more money.
they should also be of good sound quality, with a nice bass range+ frequency or whatever (they should sound clean)

My budget is £20 max, but only if it's a certain durable one...I've brought pairs around that price which have let me down (ideally it would be max £15, but I can stretch that extra fiver :P)

PS: earphones I've tried:
1) JVC XXX HA (something) (the big ones, usually red cord) [twice]
2) Creatives ep-630 (loved these, but alas just broke now for aboslutely no reason (no visible sign of damage though))
3) Skullcandy titans
4) sony earphone...not sure of the make...(one of my very first ones, lasted 1.5-2 years i remember...can't seem to find those anymore though)
5) Also have had standard earphones which are given when buying new phone

I've heard people talk about sennheisers as very good..however they can sometimes be over £20, and some still say that they may not last as long

Hi, i've moved this to tech for you instead of Entertainment. You should get better replies here.

Personally i have a set of Seinheisers i've been using for about 2 years. :smile:
Original post by moey3

Start getting into the habit of unplugging your headphones when not in use and storing them in your least crowded pocket, and making sure the headphone socket on your player is facing directly out of your pocket so that the cable comes straight out without bending. What you're describing with one channel giving out is easily the most common complaint I see when it comes to headphones breaking on TSR and arising from the headphone jack being put under stress and the internal wiring coming loose. This will happen with any set of headphones if you bend it further than it should be, and you've had some pairs from good quality manufacturers so it's not just that you're buying cheap.

To quote myself from a recent thread asking the same question;

The best regarded options for around £20 are;
*Philips TX1 & TX2. Philips have made tremendous improvements to their audio lines in the last couple of years and their new low end offerings have been very well received. The cheapest headphones to have received the Wall of Fame award from acclaimed audiophile site Innerfidelity.
*VSonic consistently produce fantastic, cost effective IEMs, and the VSonic GR02 and GR99 can both be found for under £25. Easiest to find from Hong Kong storefronts on eBay, although there's no reason to worry about buying from them if you find one with good reputation.
*The Monoprice 8320 are better sounding than the vast majority of sub-£30 headphones, the only pairs that really beat them are the ones I've listed above, and they less than cost a fiver from Amazon. Build quality is basic and they're pretty chunky, but they sound damn good and they're dirt cheap. Throw in some Comply T-400s for improved comfort and isolation and you've got something that puts most entry level IEMs to shame.

If you're really conscious about future breakage, get the Philips ones, which have a right angle jack that will allow the cable to rotate freely in the pocket and not have as much pressure placed on it.
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply =]

Should've added that to my original post: I'm generally quite careful with my earphones...I use it on my ipod touch where the jack is on the bottom, so the earphones are always coming out of the pocket.
I also had a case from JVC, which I use to store all my earphones...so after use, I store them as much as i like to think properly. (i rarely ever shove my earphones in my pocket, or in crowded areas....the only time i can remember doing that recently is during exams, when I just put it into my bag not caring about it at that time).

There may be times where I have stressed that part when for example i'm running and it snags....but otherwise i am quite careful (esp seeing as I've had to go through quite a few pairs making me more careful)

I'll have a look into the headphones you quoted.

PS: I had a look at creative website, and they said that they can do replacement....I may do that if I don't find suitable alternatives.
Seeing as the problem occurs mainly at the jack end, and my suspicions is that the wiring gets bent....any suggestions on how I could reinforce that area without it looking like a tennis ball? (for example I tried insulation tape, but it still had a tendency to move around...is there some way I can but like metal housing around it? would that help?
Reply 4
Hey TSR

so still looking for earphones, though have sent my creatives in for replacement...

I just thought of something, and would like anyones opinion:
seeing as all my earphones have broken at the jack end, my suspision being that the cord gets bent or tugs when in my ipod/music player. (when i take out the player regularly, this could effect the cable as pressures being applied)

so I came up with the idea that I could buy those 3.5 mm jack/Plug earphone extension cable...this way, any pressure will be on the extension, rather than the actual earphones...and I could buy the L-shaped ones (reportedly better lasting than straight jack ends).

so my question is, does this sound like a good idea? should i go ahead and buy one?
if anyone knows of a good extension cable (below £5), could you please post a link?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of q's....need to get this sorted out!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending