The Student Room Group

Which unis do the shortened 3 year Medicine course for Dentistry grads?

Anyone have a list of unis that offer the 3 year MBBS/MBChB for dental graduates looking into OMFS?
Don't think anywhere does it any more. KCL do a 4 year MBBS for dentistry graduates but it's pretty much the same as the GPEP (graduate and professional entry programme.)
Reply 2
I don't think anywhere does it now!
Reply 3
Can't. Has to be at least 5 years including FY1 to be recognised by the EU, hence the 4 year GEM courses - although that could all change too if the FY1 provisional registration is reviewed by the GMC
Birmingham do - the details are on the same webpage as their 4 year grad course as it's the same course, just entry straight into year 2.

Original post by alex193
Can't. Has to be at least 5 years including FY1 to be recognised by the EU, hence the 4 year GEM courses - although that could all change too if the FY1 provisional registration is reviewed by the GMC

I presume the clinical teaching in the dentistry degree counts towards this to some extent.

Original post by Spencer Wells
Don't think anywhere does it any more. KCL do a 4 year MBBS for dentistry graduates but it's pretty much the same as the GPEP (graduate and professional entry programme.)

Intrigued that dentist -> medic is 4 years but medic -> dentist is 3 given that both primary degrees are 5 years long.
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Intrigued that dentist -> medic is 4 years but medic -> dentist is 3 given that both primary degrees are 5 years long.

Because dentistry is clearly the easier subject, umirin' bertstare?

Seriously, though. 4 years seems far too long. We've got a dentist in our year, had to jump into 2nd year (so 4 years long), and I genuinely don't think he benefited from it. A lot of the stuff we were studying was new to him, but I think he would've had no problem "catching up" were he plonked into 3rd year. His clinical acumen was definitely way ahead of the rest of our year.
Reply 6
From speaking to somebody about it, a few of the unis dont actually have it on their website what they do with dentistry graduates but if you speak to them directly they put dentistry graduates in with third years.
I think it has something to do with clinics being started a lot earlier recently compared to the past.

If Im wrong then how could a university compare between a dentist and say a bio medical graduate?
The dentist would obviously be the much better candidate having got the higher a levels (most likely) similar difficulty of degree and length and the 2 years post university training. Surely there'd be no competition?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by alex193

That has nothing to do with it. The FY1 year has nothing to do with the length of the degree. Its about being able to pass the degree.
Reply 8
I know KCL used to offer one, but I suppose it's been cancelled (at least officially) due to meddling by the EU. :grumble:
Reply 9
Original post by teen1234
That has nothing to do with it. The FY1 year has nothing to do with the length of the degree. Its about being able to pass the degree.

http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2014/june/qualifications-at-risk

Have a read. The upcoming shape of training review could have quite a big impact.
Reply 10
Original post by alex193
http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2014/june/qualifications-at-risk

Have a read. The upcoming shape of training review could have quite a big impact.

This doesn't mention anything specifically about dentistry graduates. I don't think they'd be classed as the same. E.g dentists in FY1/FY2 get paid a lot more than just medical graduates.
Original post by teen1234
This doesn't mention anything specifically about dentistry graduates. I don't think they'd be classed as the same. E.g dentists in FY1/FY2 get paid a lot more than just medical graduates.

AFAIK there's no dentist-specific medicine conversion course, just the undergrad or GEM programmes. Yes, DF1 pays ~8k more than FY1, but again I don't think dentists who convert to medicine receive that benefit in FY1.
Reply 12
Original post by alex193
AFAIK there's no dentist-specific medicine conversion course, just the undergrad or GEM programmes. Yes, DF1 pays ~8k more than FY1, but again I don't think dentists who convert to medicine receive that benefit in FY1.

There have been dentist specific medical courses and there are dentists training in 3 year medical degrees now.
Yes, they get paid more than the other FY1/FY2s. I was reading it whilst looking at the training process for OMFS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending