The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know the average salary for a science teacher (say after 10 years) who also teaches sixth form?
Reply 61
Original post by bertstare
In this country, not really

Really? My bro was gonna go into it (dropped out during dentistry as he didn't like it and ended up doing compsci but anyway) and he was talking of figures like £250k without much private practice/clinical excellence awards. That might be generous, but after 20 years I don't see how you'd make less than around 300k or so ;/
Corporate city law 90k plus eventually, obviously as a graduate it will be far less and would have to work my way up
Original post by samba
Really? My bro was gonna go into it (dropped out during dentistry as he didn't like it and ended up doing compsci but anyway) and he was talking of figures like £250k without much private practice/clinical excellence awards. That might be generous, but after 20 years I don't see how you'd make less than around 300k or so ;/

Consultant base pay is a little over £100k with experience. With extra income from excellence awards and/or private practice the total could be in the £150-200k ballpark, any more than that is very rare tbh. For those kind of £300k+ figures in medicine you'd need to go to America
Reply 64
Original post by bertstare
Consultant base pay is a little over £100k with experience. With extra income from excellence awards and/or private practice the total could be in the £150-200k ballpark, any more than that is very rare tbh. For those kind of £300k+ figures in medicine you'd need to go to America

That kinda sucks for what it is. I thought base + silver clinical excellence was at least 160k by itself :/
Looking at Analytical Chemistry work or other similar Chemistry based work. Jobs i've been applying for have been in the 20-25k bracket.

Original post by Nirgilis
Some sort of research chemistry (either academic or industrial) :h: . Will probably start out on about £18k as science graduates are undervalued, but there are plenty of opportunities to rapidly expand into the £28-36k bracket :yep:

The Academic ones tend to be way less than industrial. About a £10k difference from when i've been looking. You going to do a phD?
Reply 66
Original post by brownbearxo
What are your living arrangements if I may ask? Because if you live alone in london after tax that salary is quite uncomfortable.

I live in a professional house share in Cambridge, which isn't really much cheaper than London. My rent comes to about £137.50 a week, including bills, council tax, all that jazz.
In fact, my house share back in London was actually quite a lot cheaper. Income tax knocks off about £6k, but I average £400 a month after all expenses like food and travel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba
That kinda sucks for what it is. I thought base + silver clinical excellence was at least 160k by itself :/

Yeah and quite a few on this thread are thinking which is detached from reality.

Personally I have no idea what to do after university . Changed from the LLB to Law and Psychology. Whether I do the LLB after is a thought but then for what advantage? Post Grad ? As a mature student late 20s time I feel is pressing.

Currently bouncing teaching within university/college within my head. But as I start the degree the next 4 years could seal a plan or reinforce the no idea thought process!
Around 100k.
Reply 69
Original post by NightOwl1985
Yeah and quite a few on this thread are thinking which is detached from reality!

Oral surgery is a special case as you're both a qualified dentist and doctor.
Honestly anything in the £20ks is a bit too uncomfortable for me. After tax you really aren't left with much.
I live in Manchester, and if you intend on running a house and a car with that then you've really got another thing coming.
I know what I will be earning and when so it defeats the object a bit.

Start off at £14,500 for a couple of months beginning in November this year, going up to just over £17,000 at some point next year. Going up again to around £19,000 - £21,000 about 2 years later. In 5 to 6 years it'll be just over £30,000 and it will increase from there. If all my plans happen to work out as I wish, in around 15-18 years it could be around £48,000 increasing to £67,500.

Quite complicated and long-winded, but I like the idea of progression.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Cute how people are actually getting excited and look forward to making 20-30k, apparently not knowing that they'll lead a pretty miserable life with that, especially living in London.

money is not key to happiness
Original post by CJKay
I live in a professional house share in Cambridge, which isn't really much cheaper than London. My rent comes to about £137.50 a week, including bills, council tax, all that jazz.
In fact, my house share back in London was actually quite a lot cheaper. Income tax knocks off about £6k, but I average £400 a month after all expenses like food and travel.

Its down to personal preferences I guess...£400 a month is far too little for the life I live!
Original post by Famokhan
money is not key to happiness

Lack of money can bring an awful lot of misery
Reply 75
Original post by brownbearxo
Its down to personal preferences I guess...£400 a month is far too little for the life I live!

When I graduate in two years time it rises to £30k so I'm not exactly complaining about £400 a month for the year. :dontknow: I don't really know what to do with the money I have. Guess I'm not a big spender
Original post by ryan9900
I know what I will be earning and when so it defeats the object a bit.

Start off at £14,500 for a couple of months beginning in November this year, going up to just over £17,000 at some point next year. Going up again to around £19,000 - £21,000 about 2 years later. In 5 to 6 years it'll be just over £30,000 and it will increase from there. If all my plans happen to work out as I wish, in around 15-18 years it could be around £48,000 increasing to £67,500.

Quite complicated and long-winded, but I like the idea of progression.

You KNOW what you will be earning...... If all my plans happen. In other words you have no idea the same as I have no idea how many birds are at my feeder right now!

Folk like to bang the figures about and seem certain. I have news you're all in for a rather sharp dip in mood when reality smacks you. Between today and 15-18 years in this example everything could be different! The £48,000 base line could drop or indeed increase.
Original post by NightOwl1985
You KNOW what you will be earning...... If all my plans happen. In other words you have no idea the same as I have no idea how many birds are at my feeder right now!

Folk like to bang the figures about and seem certain. I have news you're all in for a rather sharp dip in mood when reality smacks you. Between today and 15-18 years in this example everything could be different! The £48,000 base line could drop or indeed increase.

Absolutely.

I would say those figures are pretty much certain up until the £48,000 part, though. I just like to be optimistic so thought I might as well throw those ones out there too.
Optometrist. Pre-reg year is crap, like £15k (can be anywhere between £12k and 20k depending on the company amd area though), but it'll go up to £24k ish in my first proper year. From then on out I expect 'more than my age' if that makes sense. So when I turn thirty I want to be on more than £30k.

If I open my own practice it could go quite high, but I don't know if I ever would.
Original post by CJKay
When I graduate in two years time it rises to £30k so I'm not exactly complaining about £400 a month for the year. :dontknow: I don't really know what to do with the money I have. Guess I'm not a big spender

Well no you shouldn't be complaining as many live on much less :tongue: But I personally refuse to live with others, will soon have a car, travel at least twice yearly and eating out is one of my hobbies. Not sure if that qualifies as being a big spender but £400 per month wouldn't cut it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending