The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Initially not much more than something like 18k

I'd be happy with a minimum wage right now :frown:
Reply 81
Original post by brownbearxo
Well no you shouldn't be complaining as many live on much less :tongue: But I personally refuse to live alone, will soon have a car, travel at least twice yearly and eating out is one of my hobbies. Not sure if that qualifies as being a big spender but £400 per month wouldn't cut it.

I'm not sure how you plan on working for a salary that could possibly pay for all of that and give you the time off for two holidays a year. Let's get real here, the jobs that pay you what you sound like you want to afford are not going to give you the free time that you desire.
60K-130K per annum
Original post by brownbearxo
Well no you shouldn't be complaining as many live on much less :tongue: But I personally refuse to live with others, will soon have a car, travel at least twice yearly and eating out is one of my hobbies. Not sure if that qualifies as being a big spender but £400 per month wouldn't cut it.

What about your husband?
So how much would cut it?
Reply 84
Dentistry
30k training year ~60k+ after
Then looking to go into specialities (implantology maybe)
100k+ at that point possibly
Original post by WelshBluebird
Cute how people actually think they will easily earn more than that, apparently not knowing the average starting salary is in that bracket [...]

Yeah, find them cute as well. Delusion is not good.

Original post by WelshBluebird
[...] and it is only the minority who earn the crazy amounts being banded about here.

For once I don't mind to be a member of a minority, I guess.
Original post by CJKay
I'm not in London, but I am on £20k this year and surviving just fine. Not sure where the idea that you'd live an uncomfortable lifestyle came from.

Surviving not being miserable.

So how big and modern is your pad then? What car do you have? Maybe even a motorcycle/scooter on the side? Nice vacations? Life starts at 35k, and that's outside London.
Hoping to be a private clinical psychologist and once I'm settled and stuff hopefully £80k maybe.
Starting about 18-20k, by the time I've worked my way up the ladder I should be looking at 6 figures + bonus. But it really depends on where I work, who I work for, what I work on.... I'd be happy around 60k. I'd like to get to the point that I'm known within industry and I'm sought after, that'd be cool lol having people wanting to know if I could work for them instead of me asking :biggrin:
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil

So how big and modern is your pad then? What car do you have? Maybe even a motorcycle/scooter on the side? Nice vacations? Life starts at 35k, and that's outside London.

How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?
Original post by The Assassin
How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?

60k+
I'm 20 and my pay will be going up to around £25kpy in the next few months, I hope to be reaching £35k to £40k in my current job in the Army (Royal Signals), but eventually I will aim for around £60k to £100k within Telecommunications in Civvi Street.

But i'm still only 20 so who knows what I will do with my life I might end up doing something completley different life rarely turns out as you plan/expect it to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil

LOL I'm a university student. On top of that, I live very comfortably, and I'm not sure why you assume I don't. I cycle into town and walk to work, so I don't need a car. I could probably go on a nice holiday if I saved for a bit. Why does it matter how big and modern my "pad" is? :s You're not going to get what you seem to describe until you're earning well over £35k. I assure you that you are vastly underestimating the cost of the things you describe (at least if you want to live comfortably as well).
(edited 9 years ago)
Seriously pmsl! Some of these posts! Would love to know the age of some of you. As I have a fair idea going by the detachment of reality prevailing here!

Good luck to you all.
Life starts at £35K. PMSL. Unreal!!
Assuming I get into the industries I want to get into, I'll start at around £25-27,000 then work my way up to a managerial/"head of department"-ish job at £40-45,000.
Reply 96
Original post by NightOwl1985
Life starts at £35K. PMSL. Unreal!!

TBF most people on here probably go to public schools and so its obviously going to be skewed.
Original post by Nirgilis
Some sort of research chemistry (either academic or industrial) :h: . Will probably start out on about £18k as science graduates are undervalued, but there are plenty of opportunities to rapidly expand into the £28-36k bracket :yep:

Original post by MidnightDream
Pharmacology

Internet says £20-23,000 :smile:

What no :frown:

I want more than that :lol:

I'm thinking big pharma corporation!:colone:
Original post by teen1234
TBF most people on here probably go to public schools and so its obviously going to be skewed.[/QU

Still breast fed as adults. Yeah known a few of them in my 29 years of life so far!
(edited 9 years ago)
£5k a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending