The Student Room Group

Vacation schemes with a 2.2 in first year

interesting!
(edited 9 years ago)
How low are we talking with regards to the 2.2? With a high 2.2 from a top university, I'd imagine that whilst some firms wouldn't consider you, it wouldn't be the end of the world. There are some firms which are most likely out of the picture such as Slaughter and May where those even with a low 2.1 are up against it.

I've met people who've got vac schemes at firms similar to those which you mention with a 2.2 in first year. What was your module breakdown like? It will help if you maybe have 2.1s in some modules and are dragged down by 1/2.

Another possibility is to put vacation schemes on the back burner, and focus on getting a high 2.1 or better for second year and then mounting a competitive TC application.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cutmeloose
How low are we talking with regards to the 2.2? With a high 2.2 from a top university, I'd imagine that whilst some firms wouldn't consider you, it wouldn't be the end of the world. There are some firms which are most likely out of the picture such as Slaughter and May where those even with a low 2.1 are up against it.

I've met people who've got vac schemes at firms similar to those which you mention with a 2.2 in first year. What was your module breakdown like? It will help if you maybe have 2.1s in some modules and are dragged down by 1/2.

Another possibility is to put vacation schemes on the back burner, and focus on getting a high 2.1 or better for second year and then mounting a competitive TC application.

There was a mix up with my results and I've just found out I actually got a 2.1 but 62 so not exactly a comfortable 2.1 but still so so happy my hard work wasn't for nothing!
Original post by t.o
There was a mix up with my results and I've just found out I actually got a 2.1 but 62 so not exactly a comfortable 2.1 but still so so happy my hard work wasn't for nothing!

Good news! I wouldn't worry too much considering that first year does not count to your overall mark.

You should be able to mount a competitive application provided you've got other things going for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending