The Student Room Group

advice/help medicine abroad 2014

Hello people, I am currently studying abroad, and have experience of the application process in two separate universities. If you are considering this path then feel free to ask anything. I will help as much as I can :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Studyingabroad
Hello people, I am currently studying abroad, and have experience of the application process in two separate universities. If you are considering this path then feel free to ask anything. I will help as much as I can :smile:

a few questions.
where have you applied?
what are the entry requirements?
how much are the tuition fees
how do you apply
haha quite a few questions. So most universities in europe are around 8-12 thousand euros per year, but currently im studying in Romania, where the fees are 4000 euros a year. Having studied in one of the higher priced universities as well, I have to say the teaching standard is barely different.

Entry requirements are a lot lower than in UK, You require above C grade for A-level in the sciences

How do you apply? You can apply yourself, but I have been through that process and because of the language barriers and not knowing the country it is very unreliable and often a waste of time and money. The best way in my opinion is to go through an Agent, they make it a bit easier in terms of competition (if they know the university well) and some of them offer guarantees

hope it helps :smile:
Original post by Famokhan
a few questions.
where have you applied?
what are the entry requirements?
how much are the tuition fees
how do you apply
Reply 3
haha quite a few questions. So most universities in europe are around 8-12 thousand euros per year, but currently im studying in Romania, where the fees are 4000 euros a year. Having studied in one of the higher priced universities as well, I have to say the teaching standard is barely different.

Entry requirements are a lot lower than in UK, You require above C grade for A-level in the sciences

How do you apply? You can apply yourself, but I have been through that process and because of the language barriers and not knowing the country it is very unreliable and often a waste of time and money. The best way in my opinion is to go through an Agent, they make it a bit easier in terms of competition (if they know the university well) and some of them offer guarantees

Hi, how is the tution fee so low? I tried looking at Czech such as Palancky and prague but it's so stupidly high. Also do you have any financial aid like a grant or tuition fee or are you all self financed?
Original post by SiMan
Hi, how is the tution fee so low? I tried looking at Czech such as Palancky and prague but it's so stupidly high. Also do you have any financial aid like a grant or tuition fee or are you all self financed?

The tuition fee is low due to the salaries in general, Romania does not have the Euro yet, so when you pay your fees in Euros it becomes considerably less in comparison with other countries. I personally am self financed. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is not any financial aid for students who study abroad.
Reply 5
The tuition fee is low due to the salaries in general, Romania does not have the Euro yet, so when you pay your fees in Euros it becomes considerably less in comparison with other countries. I personally am self financed. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is not any financial aid for students who study abroad.

Can you still apply for the 2014 entry for september? Is there a website I can have a look at not sure of the uni name.
Reply 6

Why are the entry requirements so low?
Original post by teen1234
Why are the entry requirements so low?

The courses are quite young and rapidly growing in popularity, since I joined, entry requirements have been getting higher every year. So if you are interested in studying abroad, I suggest you do it soon before it becomes similar to UK entry requirements
Reply 8
The courses are quite young and rapidly growing in popularity, since I joined, entry requirements have been getting higher every year. So if you are interested in studying abroad, I suggest you do it soon before it becomes similar to UK entry requirements

No, ive got the grades to study in the UK.
Original post by teen1234
No, ive got the grades to study in the UK.

I am happy for you :smile:
what about the language?
'
Original post by the_queen
what about the language?
'

The language is not much of a problem.. the whole course is taught in English.. And after spending a year or two, you can pick up enough to communicate with patients. Also in the first two years you have the language as a subject.. And that teaches you the basics
Ps beware of spammers like whynotromania who don't offer any advice but just want to 'handle your application'
FAO: StudyingAbroad

Are you for real? Are you actually defaming the name because of helping students come and study in Romania? And have you asked for any advice before making that statement?

Ps beware of spammers like whynotromania who don't offer any advice but just want to 'handle your application'
If the UK/ England leaves the EEC will Brits who studied abroad face hurdles if they wish to return to the UK?
If you can't get the grades to do medicine in the UK I'd consider doing something else in the UK, people can get a bit obsessionally fixated on being a doctor and it usually has very little to do with the job itself and becomes a proving yourself prestige thing.
Original post by taysidefrog
If the UK/ England leaves the EEC will Brits who studied abroad face hurdles if they wish to return to the UK?
If you can't get the grades to do medicine in the UK I'd consider doing something else in the UK, people can get a bit obsessionally fixated on being a doctor and it usually has very little to do with the job itself and becomes a proving yourself prestige thing.

In that case you will have to take the PLAB test. However I do not think England will be leaving the EEC anytime soon.

Medicine is some people's dreams and instead of spending years trying to get into medicine in the UK and not being successful in the end, I think they should just go abroad and study it.
Reply 16
Original post by taysidefrog

Fortunately the GDC have already given priority for UK grads for foundation places for dentists. I hope they do the same for you medical grads.
I agree with you on the prestige thing - asian parents wanting doctor/dentist children
You are talking as if there are only a few UK jobs available. Currently the UK is hiring 40% of its doctors from overseas. So won't you prefer if those doctors are born and raised in the UK?
Reply 18
In that case you will have to take the PLAB test. However I do not think England will be leaving the EEC anytime soon.

Medicine is some people's dreams and instead of spending years trying to get into medicine in the UK and not being successful in the end, I think they should just go abroad and study it.

hey, I agree with you. I think far too many individuals waste time waiting to study in England when every Other country has learnt to benefit from each other. Studying abroad, especially in the EU, does not mean u will be a bad doctor, in fact, i can put many arguments forward as to why it would make you a more complete doctor with a holistic Approach.
Reply 19
Original post by SiMan

Every university is different. Some reduce their tuition fees to become more competitive, whilst others who have a higher demand can afford to charge more. Some universities are newer and thus to attract student they charge less, where as the more established ones can charge more. However, none charge as much as the UK universities. Its atrocious. Day light robbery!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending