The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Medicine, starting salary is £22,000
Reply 101
Medicine graduating from Oxford with a first. 5A*s at A-Level.

£50,000/£60,000 a year plus bonuses
Original post by donutaud15
About £25000 to start and if all goes well in 10 years about £80000

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you going?
Original post by bertstare
60k+

If you don't want to be in a house share, you're gonna need a lot more than that.

My best mate works for a bank and earns 80k a year, he still can't afford to rent a decent one bed flat in London.

Meanwhile, out here in the sticks, £30k a year and you can live in a plush 3 bed house.
If I get into the career I want I'd start on £35K. I'd hope to eventually be earning well in excess of £100K.

If I don't get in then I don't know.
Original post by cole-slaw
If you don't want to be in a house share, you're gonna need a lot more than that.

My best mate works for a bank and earns 80k a year, he still can't afford to rent a decent one bed flat in London.

Meanwhile, out here in the sticks, £30k a year and you can live in a plush 3 bed house.

Maybe this depends on the meaning of a "decent one bed flat". When I was having a look at flats and studios in London just some days ago I found a lot of decents ones for 1000 pounds/month and that is perfectly suitable for someone with an 80K salary or am I wrong? :confused:
Original post by Elisabetev
Maybe this depends on the meaning of a "decent one bed flat". When I was having a look at flats and studios in London just some days ago I found a lot of decents ones for 1000 pounds/month and that is perfectly suitable for someone with an 80K salary or am I wrong? :confused:

maybe he's fussy/doesn't want to live in Elephant or whatever.
By the time I'm 40? £70k. Doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melon girl
What are you going?

I'm hoping to go into accountancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Human Resources - I'm hoping to start between the 20-29K range and after 2-3 years go up to 35-40K.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Medicine graduating from Oxford with a first. 5A*s at A-Level.

£50,000/£60,000 a year plus bonuses

I admire your confidence, especially the bit about getting a first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends if I can ever decide whether I want to be a teacher or a solicitor...
Original post by The Assassin
How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?

If you live about 30 mins from London then 30k is enough but in central London about 80k I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
50 - 60K if I work for the man.
100K if I work freelance full time.

Business Intelligence
Grad starting : £35k base (exc bonus)
How about you will get what you get and be lucky to have a wage?! Folk live on below £15,000 and many quite happy! The more you get the bigger the outgoings to keep up the image it appears.

Noticed this... Folk with ''proper'' jobs feel the need to maintain a image. Therefore up to their eyes in debt lol. Whilst the laughing stock of many with their fake imagine :smile: Frankly I would not move from my current two bedroom council house no matter my profession/income! Provided employment was around Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Seems to be greedy people here and more of a concern the money being the motivating principle rather that the drive needed for the job. So again you might have the qualifications but minus the personality , piss off !

A bit like having the fitness/technical skills for Special Forces. If you lack the personality/mind set. You're returned to unit! Other words, piss off! Yer not suited.

Why do folk going through university think that having the degree gives them the right to a high income and more so the right to that profession/occupation?

I start university this September and I hope to God what I read here I don't need to listen at uni. If I do I will be as frank face-face as I am here!

But had a laugh on this thread at many of you. Sure others have also.
Original post by NightOwl1985
How about you will get what you get and be lucky to have a wage?! Folk live on below £15,000 and many quite happy! The more you get the bigger the outgoings to keep up the image it appears.

Noticed this... Folk with ''proper'' jobs feel the need to maintain a image. Therefore up to their eyes in debt lol. Whilst the laughing stock of many with their fake imagine :smile: Frankly I would not move from my current two bedroom council house no matter my profession/income! Provided employment was around Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Seems to be greedy people here and more of a concern the money being the motivating principle rather that the drive needed for the job. So again you might have the qualifications but minus the personality , piss off !

A bit like having the fitness/technical skills for Special Forces. If you lack the personality/mind set. You're returned to unit! Other words, piss off! Yer not suited.

Why do folk going through university think that having the degree gives them the right to a high income and more so the right to that profession/occupation?

I start university this September and I hope to God what I read here I don't need to listen at uni. If I do I will be as frank face-face as I am here!

But had a laugh on this thread at many of you. Sure others have also.

Id be pretty peed off if someone bexame a dentist without a dentistry degree
Thats just me though....
Original post by NightOwl1985
Frankly I would not move from my current two bedroom council house no matter my profession/income!

Considering the current shortage of social housing, that's an extremely selfish attitude to take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I go into law and got a traineeship start at about 16-19k and work my way up. If I get onto a more generic grad scheme, about 24k. Who knows what will the future will bring :biggrin:
Original post by MrSupernova
Considering the current shortage of social housing, that's an extremely selfish attitude to take.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No mate. Why should I steep myself in debt or pay sky high rents to some greedy landlord?

My Scottish Assured Tenancy does NOT place an obligation to leave should I enter a profession/occupation that draws a considerable pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending