The Student Room Group

Can You Study A-Levels If You're Over 19?

Hello, I'm willing to study A-levels but I'm an adult and I was wondering whether I can still attend college to study them, if I can but I would need to pay fees or If I can take them at an adult school?
Are there any other options available other than a private institute?
Reply 1
Yes you are able to take them, although a sixth form college is unlikely to take you.

There are probably classes for adults available online or in a local college, try researching them online.
Original post by Nyctanthous
Hello, I'm willing to study A-levels but I'm an adult and I was wondering whether I can still attend college to study them, if I can but I would need to pay fees or If I can take them at an adult school?
Are there any other options available other than a private institute?

Im 26 and im currently self teaching ALevels from home. I did start with a distance learning company but had so many issues with them I just decided it wasn't worth the money. (They are very expensive £300+ per subject not including text books or exam fees) so instead I just brought a selection of text books and looked up online resources and started to teach myself. Most of the top universities all do free online courses now. They're called MOOCs and some of them are really good. They include video lectures, activities, assessments and practice exams.
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes! I sat exams as an independent candidate at a sixth-form last summer - I was 21 at the time. You'll have to pay an entry examination fee - I think mine was around £30 per exam I sat :smile:

I also studied at evening college to improve my Psychology A Level grade - this cost about £600 over the AS and A2 year but it included the entry examination fee and having one contact session a week during the evening with a tutor. We had had 60 something year old doing both years who was studying it because he wanted something to do :') You end up sitting the exam at the same time as the current A Level students :smile:

Definitely worth researching!

Hope this helps ^^
Reply 4
Original post by Khallil
How did you end up doing in your A Levels, out of interest?

My original A Levels were shoddy poor due to various reasons such being badly bullied and being somewhat naive that A Level's would be a walk in the park like GCSE's were for me. So out of sixth-form I came out with DDE.

After resitting them all - Psychology at evening class and the other two sitting exams as an independent candidate; I've eventually ended up with BCC, which aren't amazing but they're damn sight better than what they were :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for all the lovely suggestions everyone! I will definitely start researching :biggrin: I nearly thought it was over for me so I really do appreciate all the replies.
Original post by Nyctanthous
Thanks for all the lovely suggestions everyone! I will definitely start researching :biggrin: I nearly thought it was over for me so I really do appreciate all the replies.

Good luck with everything. No one is ever too old to learn and there are no rules so go for it! :smile: can I ask how old you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest