The Student Room Group

Contradicting Article?

So I was scrolling through the GCSE Results Day Guide on TSR, and noticed this in the 'retakes and remarks' subheading

"Retaking a modular exam or getting your paper remarked are two ways in which that you can aim to improve a GCSE grade if you're not happy with it. f your retake marks are higher than your original marks, your retake marks will count towards your final grade. However, if your original score was higher your overall result will not change. Exam retakes usually take place in the next available exam season (for most subjects this will be in the following June, although for some subjects, such as maths you might be given the option to retake in November). Remarks are available for a short period of time after you have received your results - please note however that once you have received a grade from a remark, it is final. Your original grade will not count, even if it is higher than that of the remark.

Am I missing something, or do the two bold sentences contradict each other? The first is saying that if you get a remark and the score is lower you will get the highest grade, and the second is saying that if your remarked score is lower you keep the remarked grade?
Original post by AdamCee
So I was scrolling through the GCSE Results Day Guide on TSR, and noticed this in the 'retakes and remarks' subheading

"Retaking a modular exam or getting your paper remarked are two ways in which that you can aim to improve a GCSE grade if you're not happy with it. f your retake marks are higher than your original marks, your retake marks will count towards your final grade. However, if your original score was higher your overall result will not change. Exam retakes usually take place in the next available exam season (for most subjects this will be in the following June, although for some subjects, such as maths you might be given the option to retake in November). Remarks are available for a short period of time after you have received your results - please note however that once you have received a grade from a remark, it is final. Your original grade will not count, even if it is higher than that of the remark.

Am I missing something, or do the two bold sentences contradict each other? The first is saying that if you get a remark and the score is lower you will get the highest grade, and the second is saying that if your remarked score is lower you keep the remarked grade?

Read it carefully :wink:

The first is talking about retakes; the second about remarks.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Read it carefully :wink:

The first is talking about retakes; the second about remarks.

Ahhhh that's it. I can now rest knowing there isn't a terrible mistake in a TSR article :smile:
Original post by AdamCee
Ahhhh that's it. I can now rest knowing there isn't a terrible mistake in a TSR article :smile:

Also, please could you link me to the article?

Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
Also, please could you link me to the article?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/GCSEs_-_Results_Day_Guidance

Quick Reply

Latest