The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teen1234
Id be pretty peed off if someone bexame a dentist without a dentistry degree
Thats just me though....

You missed the point!

Getting the degree some think it's an right to be a Dentist!

More than qualifications....
It depends, I could either end up in teh 22K bracket of the 28k bracket
Average for a female academic is around £44,000 so I guess about that!

If I ever become a professor then about 72k
Original post by NightOwl1985
You missed the point!

- You've done the work
- You have the knowledge and skill. Why the heck would that mean you aren't 'entitled' to be a dentist?

I'm studying Optometry. I do my work. I take my exams. I'm good at the course I'm a nice person and people always tell me I'm good with other people and that I'd be good with patients. Does that still mean I'm not 'entitled' to a job as an Optometrist even if the job is available.

Please, do explain.
You missed the point!

Well it is a right, really. The government caps the numbers of dentists/doctors/vets specifically for this reason. The cost of training is too high to allow more than those needed to train.
Nobody would study these degrees if there was no guarantee of a job at the end, too much investment
Well it is a right, really. The government caps the numbers of dentists/doctors/vets specifically for this reason. The cost of training is too high to allow more than those needed to train.
Nobody would study these degrees if there was no guarantee of a job at the end, too much investment

Nonsense!

If you lack the personality/mind set the degree is not much use!

Nobody has a right to a occupation/profession. Idiotic to suggest otherwise!
Reply 126
Starting Uni in October but been offered a conditioned Grad place paying a starting salary of £35,000 with an up to £3000 bonus every 6 months
Nonsense!

If you lack the personality/mind set the degree is not much use!

Nobody has a right to a occupation/profession. Idiotic to suggest otherwise!

If you lack the personality/mindset you wont get into the degree programme and even if you do you will fail out in your clinics.
What you are suggesting is that people with a dentistry degree could be left jobless and that is ok. 5 year degrees, and 150k of taxpayer's money wasted.
That, is idiotic.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
- You've done the work
- You have the knowledge and skill. Why the heck would that mean you aren't 'entitled' to be a dentist?

I'm studying Optometry. I do my work. I take my exams. I'm good at the course I'm a nice person and people always tell me I'm good with other people and that I'd be good with patients. Does that still mean I'm not 'entitled' to a job as an Optometrist even if the job is available.

Please, do explain.

you will EARN the position. You're not entitled and your sense of entitlement screams from you. Get off your high horse the world owes you nothing!

If you actually read.... I said it takes MORE than qualifications! But nobody it entitled pmsl! Seriously ffs!
If you lack the personality/mindset you wont get into the degree programme and even if you do you will fail out in your clinics.
What you are suggesting is that people with a dentistry degree could be left jobless and that is ok. 5 year degrees, and 150k of taxpayer's money wasted.
That, is idiotic.

Might be idiotic but if the health board don't want you guess what....

Don't think just because you have a Dentistry degree we as society wil be bowing to you and handing you a job!

You are no better than the bin collector!

EARN the job and that takes more than a degree.

How much do you think taxpayer's money is wasted on selection for the Special Forces? How much is wasted training a squaddie in the green army for injury to happen and discharged? Called RISK.

Don't think you have a right to a job. What a stuck up attitude!
No mate. Why should I steep myself in debt or pay sky high rents to some greedy landlord?

My Scottish Assured Tenancy does NOT place an obligation to leave should I enter a profession/occupation that draws a considerable pay.

There may not be a legal obligation, but for me there's a moral one - there would be people who need it a lot more than you. If we take your every man for himself outlook, it would still be in your best interests to move out. I agree with your point about greedy landlords, but with house prices the lowest they've been for years and interest rates at rock bottom, if your financial situation is secure enough that you can afford a property and the banks are willing to offer you a mortgage, it would be the height of idiocy to keep renting a council house. Yes, you'll have to pay more each month, but you'll get most of it back in equity, which isn't the case when renting any kind of property. Buying a house is an investment; renting any longer than you have to is just money down the drain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova
There may not be a legal obligation, but for me there's a moral one - there would be people who need it a lot more than you. If we take your every man for himself outlook, it would still be in your best interests to move out. I agree with your point about greedy landlords, but with house prices the lowest they've been for years and interest rates at rock bottom, if your financial situation is secure enough that you can afford a property and the banks are willing to offer you a mortgage, it would be the height of idiocy to keep renting a council house. Yes, you'll have to pay more each month, but you'll get most of it back in equity, which isn't the case when renting any kind of property. Buying a house is an investment; renting any longer than you have to is just money down the drain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get this.... I don't want to invest nor own a house. What I do with MY money provided it's within the law is my look out.

My rent is rather good and the quality and service from the local authority is super. Alongside the area.
Original post by donutaud15
Depends on the company. My husband started on 27k couple of years ago in a fairly good company so 28k now sounds about right. I've seen salary offers less than that in other companies though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did he study/Where did he study? Also if you don't me asking what salary range is he in now ?
Original post by Maths94
What did he study/Where did he study? Also if you don't me asking what salary range is he in now ?

Computer Science MEng in Swansea university. He's on 28500 I think but other companies are offering 35k so he could be earning that if he change jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not particularly optimistic about my salary potential. As long as it's enough to live off then I'll be happy... Can't imagine I'll be able to pay off my student loans any time soon after graduating (I'm under the £21,000 repayment scheme). Hopefully at the least I'll be earning £15,000+, probably will reach about £30,000 absolute maximum. In researching the careers I'm interested in there is a potential to earn around £50,000 but I can't see that happening for myself, though if it does it would be excellent!
Not really sure. Probably £19,000 to begin with and perhaps reaching £45,000 much later on in life. Depends which career route I take though!
22k as a junior doctor :smile:
Reply 137
Original post by redferry
Average for a female academic is around £44,000 so I guess about that!

If I ever become a professor then about 72k

Um, are you sure about that? More like 21k haha
Reply 139
Original post by cole-slaw
If you don't want to be in a house share, you're gonna need a lot more than that.

My best mate works for a bank and earns 80k a year, he still can't afford to rent a decent one bed flat in London.

Meanwhile, out here in the sticks, £30k a year and you can live in a plush 3 bed house.

That's ridiculous man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending