The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skkc16
Well done Kyrgios. Knew Nadal wouldn't get to the semis

Posted from TSR Mobile

o rly?
ermagerd. Nadal! YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONLY ONE.

That being said, he can relax now and prepare for the US. I was looking forward to a Nadal Fed semifinal.
Can't wait for tomorrow. Murray and Dimitrov should be good but we also get Raonic vs this guy. Just imagine if Fed were to slip up too (hope he does not).
Original post by Rakas21
A brief calculation suggests he will be around world number 70 now.

I really hope he pushes on from here, would be amazing to have a young guy like him consistently challenging the top guys. Hope he doesn't fade like Darcis and Rosol
Original post by manchesterunited15
o rly?

I did. I've said it before on this thread and even tweeted it before the match. In fact I had Kyrgios winning against Nadal in an accumulator which Radwanska messed up for me. I'm actually so pissed off at her ImageUploadedByStudent Room1404239282.191345.jpg

I've watched a few Kyrgios challenger matches and he's always impressed me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lizzy95
I really hope he pushes on from here, would be amazing to have a young guy like him consistently challenging the top guys. Hope he doesn't fade like Darcis and Rosol

Tomic reached 27 before he flopped. Perhaps this will take the pressure off and we may say them both challenge (i still have a soft spot for Tomic, such a talent).
Original post by Skkc16
I did. I've said it before on this thread and even tweeted it before the match. In fact I had Kyrgios winning against Nadal in an accumulator which Radwanska messed up for me. I'm actually so pissed off at her ImageUploadedByStudent Room1404239282.191345.jpg

I've watched a few Kyrgios challenger matches and he's always impressed me

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol touche. What were you on to win?
Original post by manchesterunited15
lol touche. What were you on to win?

£359 from a fiver

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Can't wait for tomorrow. Murray and Dimitrov should be good but we also get Raonic vs this guy. Just imagine if Fed were to slip up too (hope he does not).

All of the men's QFs are getting played tomorrow: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

Really hope that Federer doesn't screw it up as he may not get another chance like this before he retires. I'm worried about Wawrinka though as he has the ability to hit Federer off the court (a la Monte Carlo 2014 third set) when he gets hot
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1489
Rafa's been a bit iffy all tournament, grass just isn't his thing anymore. Tbh, I can't see Raonic having to battle through 5 sets to get past Kyrgios, but we'll see what happens!

Murray-Dimitrov and Fed-Wawa will both be excellent. Stockpiling popcorn this very minute.
Original post by RyJ
Rafa's been a bit iffy all tournament, grass just isn't his thing anymore. Tbh, I can't see Raonic having to battle through 5 sets to get past Kyrgios, but we'll see what happens!

Murray-Dimitrov and Fed-Wawa will both be excellent. Stockpiling popcorn this very minute.

It doesn't seem like grass is Rafa's surface any more. He had a brief grace period on the turf from 08-11 but after that he's just become too prone to tall, big hitters who can blast him off the court. That said, I do think he is incredibly unlucky that he seems to always come up against players playing best-of-lifetime matches. The way Kygrios was serving there was not much he could do against it. I still feel that he was way too passive throughout, especially compared to how aggressive he was against Kukushkin the previous round.

Really looking forward to both matches tomorrow. I think I may root for Stan to win the whole thing but I'm wondering whether he's going to falter against the man he's shadowed for so long. Complexes like Stan used to have against Federer tend to recur when under great pressure.
Reply 1491
Murray in 5 against Wannabe Fed tomorrow.
Reply 1492
Original post by Sirocco11
It doesn't seem like grass is Rafa's surface any more. He had a brief grace period on the turf from 08-11 but after that he's just become too prone to tall, big hitters who can blast him off the court. That said, I do think he is incredibly unlucky that he seems to always come up against players playing best-of-lifetime matches. The way Kygrios was serving there was not much he could do against it. I still feel that he was way too passive throughout, especially compared to how aggressive he was against Kukushkin the previous round.

Really looking forward to both matches tomorrow. I think I may root for Stan to win the whole thing but I'm wondering whether he's going to falter against the man he's shadowed for so long. Complexes like Stan used to have against Federer tend to recur when under great pressure.

That's true, and to be honest, I thought Kyrgios would follow the same path as Kukushkin after winning the first set - to run out of gas. Fair play to him winning (though I don't particularly like him, after watching that match and his match against Paire at the AO thi year - which he lost - he seems too cocky to me), he was truly inspired. I don't think Rafa played particularly bad today, like you said, there was nothing he could do against Kyrgios' serve.

Yeah, tomorrow will be tremendous! I'd read on a couple of forums that people were thinking Stan would have lost to Lopez today, because Lopez has had more experience at going further in Wimbledon, and because he normally plays well on grass, so I suppose anything could happen. Today's match for Stan was probably his best of the tournament so far - with all his others looking pretty lacklustre, as if he didn't want it enough. That being said, if Fed plays the way he's being playing (minus the occasional lack-of-focus shot that he's made a good few times against poorer players, shots that he couldn't get away with against the likes of Stan/Murray/Djokovic), I think he may win. It'll be close if both players play their best.

As for Murray/Dimitrov, as well as Dimitrov's been playing (Murray's only real test being Anderson - even then, straight sets), I don't see it going to 5 sets. Dimitrov has had a brilliant grass court season, and as much as I like his play, I don't really see him besting Murray this time around...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RyJ
That's true, and to be honest, I thought Kyrgios would follow the same path as Kukushkin after winning the first set - to run out of gas. Fair play to him winning (though I don't particularly like him, after watching that match and his match against Paire at the AO thi year - which he lost - he seems too cocky to me), he was truly inspired. I don't think Rafa played particularly bad today, like you said, there was nothing he could do against Kyrgios' serve.

Yeah, tomorrow will be tremendous! I'd read on a couple of forums that people were thinking Stan would have lost to Lopez today, because Lopez has had more experience at going further in Wimbledon, and because he normally plays well on grass, so I suppose anything could happen. Today's match for Stan was probably his best of the tournament so far - with all his others looking pretty lacklustre, as if he didn't want it enough. That being said, if Fed plays the way he's being playing (minus the occasional lack-of-focus shot that he's made a good few times against poorer players, shots that he couldn't get away with against the likes of Stan/Murray/Djokovic), I think he may win. It'll be close if both players play their best.

As for Murray/Dimitrov, as well as Dimitrov's been playing (Murray's only real test being Anderson - even then, straight sets), I don't see it going to 5 sets. Dimitrov has had a brilliant grass court season, and as much as I like his play, I don't really see him besting Murray this time around...

Yeah I agree about Murray-Dimitrov - I still think that he hasn't quite got the stamina to stay with Murray even if he'll win some spectacular points for sure tomorrow. I'm thinking the all Swiss match will be the marquee one - now that could go 5, as long as Stan has his head screwed on.
Reply 1494
Original post by Sirocco11
Yeah I agree about Murray-Dimitrov - I still think that he hasn't quite got the stamina to stay with Murray even if he'll win some spectacular points for sure tomorrow. I'm thinking the all Swiss match will be the marquee one - now that could go 5, as long as Stan has his head screwed on.

Yeah, if he delves back into the mentality he had when he played Lu in the second round (dropped the third set 6-3, if I'm not mistaken?), where he acted like he just didn't want to play, he'll get shafted. Having said that, I think he was barely recovering from his illness...

It's gonna be ****-your-pants exciting, I just know it! Can't wait!

I don't know who I want to win! Fed, because I'd love to see him snag another GS, or Stan, because he's just the man!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1495
GRIGOR, Sue, NOT Gregor.
Hope Murray schools Dimitrov

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1497
Dimitrov breaks!
Yes Dimitrov. Good to see that it's being reinforced with a strong service game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Andy is all over the place

Quick Reply