The Student Room Group

renault clio - £400 no mot or tax

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At some point this vehicle was damaged and written off by the insurer because it was uneconomical to repair.
Reply 2
Dont buy french cars, especially bangers. And dont buy this one either !
Reply 3
It sounds much like an MOT failure - beware!
You'd have to get it MOTd before you can tax it and then you have to have it insured to tax.

Just too much of a hassle imo
Reply 5

Buying a Renault is bad enough.
dont buy a car without an MOT.

an mot costs about £45, but adds >£100 to the value of the car, so if it would go through an MOT, they will put it through one.
Reply 7
Its a Renault ffs, avoid it
Reply 8
Could be a goer, give it a punt if you feel so inclined. I'd ignore the 'if it would go through an MOT they would have done so lot', getting an MOT means you need to have it insured or trailer it with significant associated costs plus inevitably at least half a days time lost, so its not always worth putting an MOT on something that could get one.

Go and have a look, if it looks worth a shot ring your insurers, book an MOT to drive to, then drive it home for any repairs.
Reply 9
Original post by Boristhethird
dont buy a car without an MOT.

Why?

I've bought loads with no test.
Original post by JC.
Why?

I've bought loads with no test.

if the seller thinks (and says) it will pass an MOT, then why haven't they put it through one
Reply 11
if the seller thinks (and says) it will pass an MOT, then why haven't they put it through one

I couldn't give a toss what the seller thinks.
When I'm looking at a car the only persons opinion that matters is mine.

Like I said, I've bought loads of cars with no MOT. Similarly I've also walked away from many more that do have MOT's that frankly shouldn't have...

The sellers that come out with "It's got an mot so it must be fine" are generally the one's who haven't got a clue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
I couldn't give a toss what the seller thinks.
When I'm looking at a car the only persons opinion that matters is mine.

Like I said, I've bought loads of cars with no MOT. Similarly I've also walked away from many more that do have MOT's that frankly shouldn't have...

The sellers that come out with "It's got an mot so it must be fine" are generally the one's who haven't got a clue.

you're not exactly the average car buyer though, are you :tongue:
Reply 13
you're not exactly the average car buyer though, are you :tongue:

Anyone contemplating buying a car for a couple of hundred quid is going to be doing there own maintenance and should know what to look for.
Old clios are notorious for electrical faults.

You think you'll be saving, but it's a false economy, you'll most likely be spending at least that amount in repairs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Anyone contemplating buying a car for a couple of hundred quid is going to be doing there own maintenance and should know what to look for.

but everyone needs to start somewhere.
he may plan to be doing his own maintenance, but being that im assuming this is their first car (or possible first cheap car) then this is the car they will learn to fix cars with.
this means that they don't want to start off with a car that's got problems from the off, and no MOT is a sign of this (if he is experienced then I wouldn't expect to see this thread)
Reply 16
but everyone needs to start somewhere.
he may plan to be doing his own maintenance, but being that im assuming this is their first car (or possible first cheap car) then this is the car they will learn to fix cars with.
this means that they don't want to start off with a car that's got problems from the off, and no MOT is a sign of this (if he is experienced then I wouldn't expect to see this thread)

If you just want to buy a car to learn how to maintain a car, something for a few hundred quid is a great idea - if you kill it you can still weigh it in and get most of your money back!
A few well chosen parts removed and sold on ebay gets you back the rest.
Original post by JC.
If you just want to buy a car to learn how to maintain a car, something for a few hundred quid is a great idea - if you kill it you can still weigh it in and get most of your money back!
A few well chosen parts removed and sold on ebay gets you back the rest.

its what i did with a bike (simpler in my mind, only one cylinder)

you can get a MOTd car for a few hundred pound, my first car was a £400 206, now I'm in a £600 Focus estate
both high mileage, but MOT'd and road worthy.
Reply 18
its what i did with a bike (simpler in my mind, only one cylinder)

you can get a MOTd car for a few hundred pound, my first car was a £400 206, now I'm in a £600 Focus estate
both high mileage, but MOT'd and road worthy.

I bought a car once for 10 grand with no MOT... It was fine.

An MOT doesn't really mean a lot. You can see yourself whether a car is going to pass or not if you take a blanket to lay on and an inspection lamp. You can also see what it's going to fail on and factor that in when you make your offer.
Original post by JC.
I bought a car once for 10 grand with no MOT... It was fine.

An MOT doesn't really mean a lot. You can see yourself whether a car is going to pass or not if you take a blanket to lay on and an inspection lamp. You can also see what it's going to fail on and factor that in when you make your offer.

you can do that, but the average Joe cannot.
for someone with no experience this may be out of their depth (its simple for someone who knows how to use a spanner, but other people dont know what they are looking at/for).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending