The Student Room Group

Argentina vs Switzerland

Scroll to see replies

Di Maria lost possession 51 times. 51. 51.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
This tournament is Colombia's to win
lel

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Di Maria lost possession 51 times. 51. 51.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because he was trying to move the ball forward rather than passing back to retain possession.

Buy only one stat matters
Reply 84
Original post by cBay
This tournament is Colombia's to win

You are funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
World Cup Final : Germany vs Netherlands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
ffs I want to see a replay of that bicycle kick again, fairly sure he made contact.

Original post by CAP31
You are funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you disagree? Not seen anyone else play particularly well in the Last 16
Original post by cBay
ffs I want to see a replay of that bicycle kick again, fairly sure he made contact.

you disagree? Not seen anyone else play particularly well in the 2nd Round

He did

The way I see it is that Argentina still have the 3 best players in the World Cup. I picked them at the beginning and I'm gonna stick with that now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
He did

The way I see it is that Argentina still have the 3 best players in the World Cup. I picked them at the beginning and I'm gonna stick with that now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?
Original post by stefl14
Really?

Aguero, di Maria and messi are pretty clearly better than anyone else left no? Ronaldo, Ibra, Suarez, iniesta are all already gone. Robben's the only one left who you could argue is better than any of those and for me aguero shades him. Di Maria and messi are obviously the two best players left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by CAP31
You are funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've been the most consistent and convincing team of the knockout stages and arguably the WC so far, even Germany who many have been tipping have looked unconvincing since that opening game and would have lost if Algeria had anyone decent up front, so I really don't think its that silly to suggest Colombia have a chance here. I don't believe they'll win the entire thing, but I can see them beating Brazil.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
Aguero, di Maria and messi are pretty clearly better than anyone else left no? Ronaldo, Ibra, Suarez, iniesta are all already gone. Robben's the only one left who you could argue is better than any of those and for me aguero shades him. Di Maria and messi are obviously the two best players left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On paper maybe, but Aguero and Di Maria have certainly not been even in the top 10 of best players of this WC in terms of performance.
Original post by Olie
On paper maybe, but Aguero and Di Maria have certainly not been even in the top 10 of best players of this WC in terms of performance.

Of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Di Maria has been good this season but has been far from great this world cup. I'd have no problem ranking Robben above Di Maria and Aguero - he's been consistently a top player for years and has been on form in this world cup. I agree that Aguero is probably in the top three but with his injury problems he's probably going to be a non-factor and so far that has been the case. While Neymar isn't in the top three if you use club form as the barometer, he's certainly arguably as good as anyone for his country. Also, I'm assuming you're only talking about attack minded players here.
Original post by stefl14
Di Maria has been good this season but has been far from great this world cup. I'd have no problem ranking Robben above Di Maria and Aguero - he's been consistently a top player for years and has been on form in this world cup. I agree that Aguero is probably in the top three but with his injury problems he's probably going to be a non-factor and so far that has been the case. While Neymar isn't in the top three if you use club form as the barometer, he's certainly arguably as good as anyone for his country. Also, I'm assuming you're only talking about attack minded players here.

I find that when I rank top players I am generally ranking them on the impact that they have on the pitch and it is very difficult for a defender to have a really significant impact. Take Ricardo Rodriguez today. He was pretty much flawless defensively and pretty good going forward in support but he still had very little impact on the game.

I would have no problem ranking robben above those two. The more I think about it the more I think that I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about Hammy Rodriguez?
I find that when I rank top players I am generally ranking them on the impact that they have on the pitch and it is very difficult for a defender to have a really significant impact. Take Ricardo Rodriguez today. He was pretty much flawless defensively and pretty good going forward in support but he still had very little impact on the game.

I would have no problem ranking robben above those two. The more I think about it the more I think that I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. I, along with most, tend to rank attacking players as the best. If we're talking in terms of pure talent of the players left, Messi, Robben and Aguero are the three best players left in the cup. If we're talking form, it's more like Messi, Neymar and Robben (I'm ignoring Rodriguez because he's not generally viewed as world class, at least not yet). I'm also ignoring Muller - he's been good but his hat trick was lucky.
(edited 9 years ago)
Shaqiri has been amazing this world cup. It is a shame Switzerland lost in the last minutes of extra-time, I really wanted them to win and maybe they could've if they'd went to penalties. Dzemaili should have scored that header or the rebound! He just wasn't lucky enough, his free-kick goal when they lost 5-2, was amazing though.
Reply 98
We really need an underdog to win one of these stages.
I had high hopes for Switzerland.

Quick Reply

Latest