The Student Room Group

Am I panicking too much?

So I'm new here but I'm direct, I hope that doesn't scare people away, anyway. I'm sitting my GCSE's next year and so far I've been getting A's in English and French, C's in Chemistry and Maths, a B in Business, and erm D's-C's in History.

I mean, my mum is very very worried because if I don't pass GCSE History I can't go into my A Levels, she asked my school (King's College) and the person who handles all of that stuff, he told her that I can't re-sit my GCSE. At first I said that my teacher told us that he's grading us lower than what he should do because he thinks that if he does that we'll be more motivated...yeah I don't think it's a good idea either. It's pretty annoying because I'm getting D's and it's unbelievable because I had like B's in Year 9 and now I'm getting really **** marks! and it's really bothersome because I love History and it's WEIRD that I'm passing both Maths and Science because to be honest, I suck at them and I dislike them.

So I don't mind studying in summer, at all but I'm worried if I don't pass my GCSE History and will have to go to another school because of that!, so can you re-sit any of your GCSE's?
Original post by xChocoAlex24
So I'm new here but I'm direct, I hope that doesn't scare people away, anyway. I'm sitting my GCSE's next year and so far I've been getting A's in English and French, C's in Chemistry and Maths, a B in Business, and erm D's-C's in History.

I mean, my mum is very very worried because if I don't pass GCSE History I can't go into my A Levels, she asked my school (King's College) and the person who handles all of that stuff, he told her that I can't re-sit my GCSE. At first I said that my teacher told us that he's grading us lower than what he should do because he thinks that if he does that we'll be more motivated...yeah I don't think it's a good idea either. It's pretty annoying because I'm getting D's and it's unbelievable because I had like B's in Year 9 and now I'm getting really **** marks! and it's really bothersome because I love History and it's WEIRD that I'm passing both Maths and Science because to be honest, I suck at them and I dislike them.

So I don't mind studying in summer, at all but I'm worried if I don't pass my GCSE History and will have to go to another school because of that!, so can you re-sit any of your GCSE's?

if your teacher is grading lower than he should be then wouldn't you actually be doing better than a D-grade level? remember that the examiners won't be like that in the real thing (unless they're harsh markers lol.) You can resit any of your gcse's but if your history gcse is linear, you'll have to wait until the next year to do it, you would be doing your history resit in year 12, if I'm correct. That's probably why your school said you can't re-sit history gcse, it's not like maths/english gcse where you could re-sit in november. You still have enough time to improve, don't worry too much! A year is enough time to improve at a subject, just use your time wisely, your teacher was right in grading lower so that it will motivate people to do better, if he was grading normally, people might get too optimistic about what they'll get in the real exam and not do much work, and then they'll end up with a lower grade than what they hoped for.
I just finished my GCSEs and I had a history teacher a bit like yours this year. He was worse - he never admitted he was being strict when no one in his class was getting higher than Bs. It was hilarious because I went to a decent school where half of the Yr11 students get A*/A in history every year. I always got A*s in Yr10 and was predicted an A* in history as well. :rolleyes: This new teacher, who was not an examiner by the way, denied that I was capable of achieving even an A. He gave me a really low mark for the controlled assessment and refused to have it cross-checked. I was fine with him being strict with our homework but that was the coursework which took up 25% of the final grade for God's sake!:angry: It made me panic at first - especially this whole thing happened during my GCSE exams, but soon I realised there's still moderation and I'm not going to let some stupid, stuck-up man (forgive me, but he is) interfere with my other exams. I love history too. I intended - and still want to study history at uni, so my history GCSE is really important to me.

You are not alone in this case.:smile: Don't panic now, remember you've still got a year to improve. Frankly I don't think you'll need to resit. (Of course you can resit GCSEs if it really comes to that. You can always find an exam centre where you can take exams as a private candidate if you can't retake them at your school. However, it's usually discouraged because you'll be preparing for AS exams at the same time.) Since you already got Bs in Yr9, you would be able to get at least the same grade in GCSE with some hard work. Probably A/A* if you start revisions early. Start doing some past papers and using the mark schemes to see for yourself roughly what grade you are getting. Also bear in mind that most examiners are not that harsh and there will be more than one examiner marking your paper, so in the end we will get the grades we deserve. Good luck!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, you have a year, you will be fine...... You have time to improve, you just need to know how, and only you can find out how.

Quick Reply

Latest