The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with women who don't want kids?

Poll

Is there something wrong with these women?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2676583/Cameron-Diaz-legs-cover-Esquire-magazine-opens-aging-not-wanting-kids-naked-scene-new-movie-Sex-Tape.html

Was reading this article about Cameron Diaz and how she insists that at 41 she doesn't want kids.

Got me thinking if this is at all normal or healthy to waste away a perfectly good womb for pretty much nothing.

I understand what it takes to be a career woman and I'm studying Medicine myself so I don't to have kids soon but I do myself having at least one in the future.

Scroll to see replies

People of high intelligence, on average, breed less.
I don't see why there would be something wrong with that, it's entirely down to personal preference.
Reply 3
I don't want kids nor can I see myself having any. I do not feel maternal in the slightest. No idea why just always been like it
not any more than men at that age not wanting kids
Surely it shouldn't matter to anybody what anybody else chooses to do with their lives, if you don't want to have kids then that doesn't affect anybody but you! :smile:
Original post by Mother Teresa
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2676583/Cameron-Diaz-legs-cover-Esquire-magazine-opens-aging-not-wanting-kids-naked-scene-new-movie-Sex-Tape.html

Was reading this article about Cameron Diaz and how she insists that at 41 she doesn't want kids.

Got me thinking if this is at all normal or healthy to waste away a perfectly good womb for pretty much nothing.

I understand what it takes to be a career woman and I'm studying Medicine myself so I don't to have kids soon but I do myself having at least one in the future.

Women our more that just a womb on legs!! Who cares if she wants to have children or not.
its better for population if not everyone has kids , why does her womb affect you!:confused:
Reply 8
No.
I'd even go as far to say that there are more things wrong with people in the West that that want 5+ kids (due to the current strains of consumerism).
Whats wrong with not wanting kids :rolleyes:
Some people would rather live their lives without being tied to their kids. Being a parent seems like a lot of responsibility and not everyone is up for that..
Original post by democracyforum
People of high intelligence, on average, breed less.

What does this even mean? Usually when people make irrelevant generalisations they have the decency to at least follow it up with a statement attempting to explain the supposed observation.

Original post by capachino
its better for population if not everyone has kids , why does her womb affect you!:confused:

It doesn't but I feel like she's lying to herself. I'd even go as far as saying that it's unnatural for a woman to abandon all her maternal instincts in favour of a childless life which is supposedly only for the high-powered exec/celeb types anyway/

Original post by hannahellen7
Surely it shouldn't matter to anybody what anybody else chooses to do with their lives, if you don't want to have kids then that doesn't affect anybody but you! :smile:

Like I said above you're right it doesn't affect me but I didn't say it did, did I? My only issue is finding something wrong with such women I don't know, it just goes against everything inside me.
So weird. Young people having more and more sex but the UK birth rate is in a long term decline.
Original post by Old_Simon
So weird. Young people having more and more sex but the UK birth rate is in a long term decline.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-birth-rate-leaps-by-18-in-a-decade-9107483.html
I've never wanted children and that doesn't mean that there is something wrong with me. Women don't have to have children if they don't want to.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all.

I don't want kids myself. Partly because I know my brother will anyway, partly because I have some awful genes in here, but mostly because I think most children would be better off if I'm just working and volunteering as I am now or if I go into academia than they would be if they had me as a mother.
Reply 15
Being brought up as an Irish Catholic I'm probably bound by my own nature to have a clatter load of kids and seeing as population growth is an issue it might be just as well other men and women decide against it!

If a man does not father a child, is that a waste of two perfectly good testicles?

All people are more than just 'baby-making machines'. People are not required to have children and should not be condemned for choosing not to.
To be honest I sometimes wonder whether there is something wrong with the people who do want kids. The idea just doesn't seem appealing to me at all :tongue:

Of course there isn't anything wrong with either viewpoint. Just a difference in opinion.
No more than a guy doing so. In fact less so because a guy doesn't have to spend months carrying it.

I'm not a woman but anyway, I don't see why we should be creating more kids when there are plenty that are already here that don't have very nice lives.
What does this even mean? Usually when people make irrelevant generalisations they have the decency to at least follow it up with a statement attempting to explain the supposed observation.

It doesn't but I feel like she's lying to herself. I'd even go as far as saying that it's unnatural for a woman to abandon all her maternal instincts in favour of a childless life which is supposedly only for the high-powered exec/celeb types anyway/

Like I said above you're right it doesn't affect me but I didn't say it did, did I? My only issue is finding something wrong with such women I don't know, it just goes against everything inside me.

I think you're missing the point. The women who chose not to have children don't HAVE the maternal instincts. They don't want to have children, they don't want to look after them and have the experience of raising children. It doesn't appeal to them, whereas maternal women DO want to raise children and care for them. Also, no this mentality is not restricted to the "high-powered exec/celeb types", it can be the case for women in all walks of life.
My mum has a regular office job, she works with a woman who would hate to have children, she and her husband have a modest income and they enjoy their lives together. I don't think I'll want children, I certainly don't want children any time soon but I understand I may change my mind later but until then I would hate to have children. I don't feel at all maternal and I don't agree with your belief that there may be something wrong with me. I wouldn't care anyway, if it meant I still wouldn't have to have children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending