The Student Room Group

Anyone else have bad eyesight?

Urgh I know only one person who has worse eyesight than me. Got a prescription of -7 :'(

Scroll to see replies

I am short sighted to the point that I like/need wearing glasses when I'm reading or at a computer, but other than that I don't wear glasses
Reply 2
Original post by zippity.doodah
I am short sighted to the point that I like/need wearing glasses when I'm reading or at a computer, but other than that I don't wear glasses

lucky! I had to start wearing glasses all the time when I was 8.
Original post by qewrtyu
lucky! I had to start wearing glasses all the time when I was 8.

I've had glasses (for minor to moderate short sightedness) since I was 13 I think - there are some people that pull off the glasses look really well and a lot of girls look good with them (judging as a heterosexual male and it could apply for men too but I can't tell) so having them can be good but I personally don't think I look particularly good in them -

how well do you think you pull off the glasses look? and what kind of glasses do you sport?
I have the worst eye sight of all of my friends and most of my family (except my grandma). I've been wearing glasses since I was 12 and they got really bad really quickly from 14-16. The decline is steady now, and actually the last time I went to the opticians she said the prescription she was coming out with was weaker than my current glasses :???: A one-off, I think! They don't feel like they've improved! I don't know the exact number of my prescription but I do have to lean forward towards my screen a bit to read my words on the monitor if I look without my glasses.
I used to say I wish I didn't have to wear them, and for the sake of my eye sight, I wish I didn't but I'm glad I wear glasses as they make me look much better! I look weird without my glasses, another reason I'll probably never wear contacts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Deleted
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by qewrtyu
Urgh I know only one person who has worse eyesight than me. Got a prescription of -7 :'(

My left eye is -7.75. My right eye is -8.25. Now thats two people.

Funnily enough, i hate wearing glasses and contacts are not an option as i faint whenever i've tried wearing them. So i go outside without being able to see anything clearly at all. Not even my own feet.

I only wear glasses in the classroom or at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by physicsbook
One of my eyes is completely fine and the other is legally blind. So I have both good and bad eyesight haha

Whats your prescription?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mmaryam

Funnily enough, i hate wearing glasses and contacts are not an option as i faint whenever i've tried wearing them. So i go outside without being able to see anything clearly at all. Not even my own feet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how old are you? I guess there is a possibility my eyes will get as bad yours eventually :s-smilie:
thats really strange fainting when you wear contact lenses. I once pinched my eye while removing a contact lens :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by qewrtyu
how old are you? I guess there is a possibility my eyes will get as bad yours eventually :s-smilie:
thats really strange fainting when you wear contact lenses. I once pinched my eye while removing a contact lens :s-smilie:

I'm only 16 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmaryam

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you even do that? I mean you can't read anything, you can barely recognise faces, just how do you even function without wear glasses or contacts to see?
Not too bad. I hardly wear my glasses, so the whole world is constantly blurred :P I only wear glasses when I can't see the board in class or during my driving lessons. I never used to like wearing glasses much, but now I love the pair I own so I don't mind them.
I do know some people that have quite bad eyesight.

I tried contacts. I wouldn't even let the optician put them in my eyes.
pfft been wearing glasses since year 2 :cool:
Mostly blind in one eye, partially colour blind, long sited and can't see in 3D :P wearing glasses since i was 6 :smile: woop woop!
Got mine in year 7, but due to the perceived shame of it I didn't wear them properly till year 9. I'm -3.5 in both eyes, gradually getting worse. Not sure if I want laser eye surgery though...
Moved to Health.

Been wearing glasses since I was 2 / 3 years old. No idea what my prescription is now. I am lucky if I can read the 5th line of the eye chart with my left eye, and the 2nd line with my right eye, corrected.

Oh, and to make it slightly more fun, I'm colourblind.
Reply 16
Original post by zippity.doodah
I've had glasses (for minor to moderate short sightedness) since I was 13 I think - there are some people that pull off the glasses look really well and a lot of girls look good with them (judging as a heterosexual male and it could apply for men too but I can't tell) so having them can be good but I personally don't think I look particularly good in them -

how well do you think you pull off the glasses look? and what kind of glasses do you sport?

urgh my glasses have an annoying habit of sliding down my nose :s-smilie:
other than I think I look better with glasses but that might be because I'm so used to seeing my face with glasses, its strange to see it without them.
oh also glasses seem to make your bags looks smaller but also your eyes:confused:
Reply 17
Original post by eggfriedrice
How do you even do that? I mean you can't read anything, you can barely recognise faces, just how do you even function without wear glasses or contacts to see?

My cousin has a prescription of -9 D:
Reply 18
I've been wearing glasses since I was 14, so for 7 years now. I loved having them, so wore them even when I didn't need to. Now I am BLIND, I should be wearing them full time but I just don't remember, and I don't really like it even though they suit me.

I had wayfarer-style glasses for the past 3 years, up until a couple months ago when one of the temples fell of and can't be fixed :frown: Super sad, they suited me so well, Red or Dead black wayfarers with pink writing on the temples and pink bits in the corners. Now I wear Specsavers brand sort-of wayfarers
Original post by Munrot07
Mostly blind in one eye, partially colour blind, long sited and can't see in 3D :P wearing glasses since i was 6 :smile: woop woop!

Can't see in 3D? How does that even work? :s-smilie: And I have to ask, but what happens if you put 3D glasses on at the cinema?

Quick Reply

Latest