The Student Room Group

If Messi wins the WC, is anyone going to claim that Ronaldo is better?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnusFiles
So are half of Portugal's. Im not saying Ronaldo is ****, just undeniably the 2nd best in the world

I agree, but Argentina's team is clearly better
Seems to me the only people who would disagree are metrosexuals with little real interest in football, and Man United/Real fans, many of whom don't come from Manchester/Madrid...

I don't think that will be settled until they've both retired. After all, what happens if Messi is crap in all the remaining games, but Argentina still win? And then what if Ronaldo wins Euro 2016 single-handedly? Too many variables.

And you don't have to be from a city to support that team. That's an archaic notion.
Original post by tengentoppa
I don't think that will be settled until they've both retired. After all, what happens if Messi is crap in all the remaining games, but Argentina still win? And then what if Ronaldo wins Euro 2016 single-handedly? Too many variables.

And you don't have to be from a city to support that team. That's an archaic notion.

Ronaldo has still not had a season really even close to messi's top 3. Messi is younger, certainly more likely to stay a top class player into old age, and has twice the resume that Ronaldo does. I don't really see their positioning changing very much. Ronaldo is getting to the age where pace begins to break down and skill and technique become more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So because if messi wins the World Cup there is no way CR7 is a better player than him? Lol, are you an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody seems to have mentioned that Ronaldo wasn't even fully in the WC, he's been injured, and anyone with a relatively minor base knowledge of football could tell that he wasn't playing at his best. That being said I honestly don't think Messi has had his best performances for a while now, I'm hoping he picks up to what he could once do at a time in time for the next few matches. Watching him on the ball is truly magical.

Messi bests Ronaldo in the aspects of discipline (Messi had only 2 yellows in all comps 2012/2013, Ronaldo finishing with 13 yellows and 1 red), Team-play (I think Ronaldo can be guilty of taking too much onto his plate when their are often better options, world class team mates that are open etc.. although Ronaldo fans could make the case he had 15 Assists in all comps 2013/14 to Messi's 14). I also think it's worth noting that Ronaldo can be a bit too flamboyant or cheeky with his showmanship, sometimes costing his team possession.

But to give a balanced argument, it's undeniable that physically, Ronaldo is as close to perfection as a modern footballer can get. At 6 ft 2 he's got the height, coupled with the strength of an ox (He was also said to have had the potential to play NBA in his younger days in terms of agility and jumping..). His freekicks are a spectacle and are pure theatre for anyone watching, his penalty record is simply unrivaled, and is the king of step-overs. His skill on the ball coupled with his lightening pace and ability to put the ball where he wants makes him undeniably the best in the world at his trade.

(All competitions, exc country)
Messi: App 46 Assists 14 Goals 41 (4 hattricks 8 penos 0.89 goal ratio)
Ronaldo: App 47 Assists 15 Goals 51 (3 hattricks 10 penos 1.09 goal ratio)
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Ronaldo has still not had a season really even close to messi's top 3. Messi is younger, certainly more likely to stay a top class player into old age, and has twice the resume that Ronaldo does. I don't really see their positioning changing very much. Ronaldo is getting to the age where pace begins to break down and skill and technique become more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ronaldo's 2008, 2012 and 2014 seasons have been of a similar quality to Messi's best seasons. This year he scored 17 goals in the Champions League, Messi has never got close to that.
Original post by Reece Sure

But to give a balanced argument, it's undeniable that physically, Ronaldo is as close to perfection as a modern footballer can get. At 6 ft 2 he's got the height, coupled with the strength of an ox (He was also said to have had the potential to play NBA in his younger days in terms of agility and jumping..). His freekicks are a spectacle and are pure theatre for anyone watching, his penalty record is simply unrivaled, and is the king of step-overs. His skill on the ball coupled with his lightening pace and ability to put the ball where he wants makes him undeniably the best in the world at his trade.

)

I believe that Ronaldo has one of the worst free kick records of any player in Europe who regularly takes them. Step overs are useless. Messi has way greater skill on the ball and in putting the ball where he wants.

I think you just highlighted all the weak aspects of Ronaldo's game and very few of the strong ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ronaldo's 2008, 2012 and 2014 seasons have been of a similar quality to Messi's best seasons. .

Oh dear. This conversation is over. I'm not talking to fanboys, be they messi's or Ronaldo's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But they were never going to... what if Wigan had won the UCL? Stupid hypothetical

You've come to the right conclusion but for the wrong reasons.

Performance on a world stage does not make you a better player by default. Someone like George Best is rightly regarded as one of the best players, but because he was from NI, he never had the opportunity to play at the highest level. That's hardly his fault.
Gareth Bale is unlikely to play at a World Cup, too, but he's still not exactly a bad player.
the rest of the world > England players

Not really. Most fans still support their local teams and go to the games, but if you want to support a team you've never seen don't let the rest of us dampen your experience
Oh dear. This conversation is over. I'm not talking to fanboys, be they messi's or Ronaldo's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a "fanboy", but I certainly think you're overhyping Messi's best seasons.
I believe that Ronaldo has one of the worst free kick records of any player in Europe who regularly takes them. Step overs are useless. Messi has way greater skill on the ball and in putting the ball where he wants.

I think you just highlighted all the weak aspects of Ronaldo's game and very few of the strong ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find that first sentence very hard to believe. Did you even see some of Rooney's played balls for England in this WC?
Original post by Drewski
You've come to the right conclusion but for the wrong reasons.

Performance on a world stage does not make you a better player by default. Someone like George Best is rightly regarded as one of the best players, but because he was from NI, he never had the opportunity to play at the highest level. That's hardly his fault.
Gareth Bale is unlikely to play at a World Cup, too, but he's still not exactly a bad player.

Yes but Ronaldo hasn't done what Messi could have done in his position. Doesn't make Ronaldo ****. Being worse than the best player in the world isn't a bad thing
Not really. Most fans still support their local teams and go to the games, but if you want to support a team you've never seen don't let the rest of us dampen your experience

You don't have to live locally to watch your team play. This isn't the 1950s, there are transport links. And it may be that you feel no association with your local team, but are drawn to another team for some reason. Because your parents or friends support them, or because you like their style of play for example.
I'm not a "fanboy", but I certainly think you're overhyping Messi's best seasons.

Messi over the last five seasons when fit has unfortunately (for my team anyway) been on a different level to anything else I've seen in football. Just above fat Ronaldo at Barcelona. And there's a whole mountain of statistical evidence backing up that view.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to live locally to watch your team play. This isn't the 1950s, there are transport links. And it may be that you feel no association with your local team, but are drawn to another team for some reason. Because your parents or friends support them, or because you like their style of play for example.

Let me break this down.

1) transport links? I could get a flight to any country in the World. Wouldn't not make me a ****house for just supporting whichever country wins the WC.
2) friends/family - ok that is a fair point, but at least you're adding some sort of sentimental aspect to your team. If you really think your devotion to Liverpool, stemming entirely from the fact they were your favourite team in FIFA 09, is equal to that of someone who grew up in Walton and is a fourth generation scouser/Liverpool fan, think again.
3) 'I like their style of play' said every non-fan ever. Style of play? So do you change teams when the manager changes and inevitably brings in a new tactical system? What you mean is, you like the fact they win, which most people would class as a poor reason to support a team.
Yes but Ronaldo hasn't done what Messi could have done in his position. Doesn't make Ronaldo ****. Being worse than the best player in the world isn't a bad thing

How the hell can you possibly say that with certainty? You've no idea how Messi would have performed if he'd had a team of mediocrity around him because it doesn't happen.
Original post by Drewski
How the hell can you possibly say that with certainty? You've no idea how Messi would have performed if he'd had a team of mediocrity around him because it doesn't happen.

Look at Argentina today. Abysmal. Do you think Ronaldo would have done what he did today?
zidane is better than both

Quick Reply

Latest