The Student Room Group

Is anyone else worried about the consequences of sex outside of marriage?

I've been brought up in a Christian household but for the past few years I've had difficulty believing in it all. I've recently become sexually active and to be honest I see nothing wrong with it, however, whenever my parents bring up God and tell me he can save me etc I can't help but think what's the point as I've already committed a 'sin'.

In a way I feel like my parents are wasting their time and effort as I've already disappointed them. I'd feel bad if I planned to stop, but I enjoy having sex and so if hell exists I must be going there I think.

(Sorry if this isn't completely coherent, my thoughts on this are all over the place at the moment)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If people followed the bible as if it were all gospel truth, 99.9% of us would have a one way ticket to hell.
Original post by Geena-
If people followed the bible as if it were all gospel truth, 99.9% of us would have a one way ticket to hell.

All I heard in that was "I'm in the higggghhwaaaaay to hell " :headbang: ACDC. :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been brought up in a Christian household but for the past few years I've had difficulty believing in it all. I've recently become sexually active and to be honest I see nothing wrong with it, however, whenever my parents bring up God and tell me he can save me etc I can't help but think what's the point as I've already committed a 'sin'.

In a way I feel like my parents are wasting their time and effort as I've already disappointed them. I'd feel bad if I planned to stop, but I enjoy having sex and so if hell exists I must be going there I think.

(Sorry if this isn't completely coherent, my thoughts on this are all over the place at the moment)

Honestly, the only thing I see as a consequence of sex before marriage is a healthy relationship and a better chance of marriage working out because you know that you're sexually compatible.

There are so many things the Bible says not to that people do all the time. Although I don't believe in God, I don't think that if a God did exist that he or she would care what you do with your sexual organs, as long as you aren't using them to harm someone. Think about the amount of power that the Christian God has, the amount of people he is looking over on a daily basis over the whole of human history - why would there be a problem?
And, also, is the Christian God not meant to be forgiving? If there was a hell, wouldn't it be more likely to be reserved for people who rape and murder and torture than someone who has consensual sex with a partner?
Reply 4
Original post by Dani California
All I heard in that was "I'm in the higggghhwaaaaay to hell " :headbang: ACDC. :biggrin:

haha thats what i was thinking of!
The bible also said god committed mass genocide killing nearly all life forms, fitting a pair of each animal on a boat built and guided by a pensioner. I wouldn't worry yourself too much.
No because there's absolutely zero evidence to suggest that 'god' exists.
That 'what's the point?!' attitude is of the enemy. Everyone enjoys sex, God created sex.. it's meant to be enjoyed. God promotes self control and pre marital sex defies the notion of self control/discipline.

Don't give up after committing one sin.. Everybody sins! In your heart, you know its wrong, don't ignore it.
Original post by geena-
if people followed the bible as if it were all gospel truth, 99.9% of us would have a one way ticket to hell.

coz its bull****
Reply 9
Save your worries for things that are worth avoiding. Like STIs and more importantly....pregnancy.
That 'what's the point?!' attitude is of the enemy. Everyone enjoys sex, God created sex.. it's meant to be enjoyed. God promotes self control and pre marital sex defies the notion of self control/discipline.

Don't give up after committing one sin.. Everybody sins! In your heart, you know its wrong, don't ignore it.

But I have no wish to stop doing it. And surely that makes things even worse
Reply 11
But I have no wish to stop doing it. And surely that makes things even worse

Jesus died for your sins, so you'd better make sure His sacrifice was worthwhile and get it on.
So what's your question?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
So what's your question?

Believe me, I don't even know anymore. I'm a bit worried I'm going straight to hell but at the same time, is there even a hell? Why should I (occasionally) feel bad about doing something I enjoy doing? Also wondering if anyone else feels the same.
Believe me, I don't even know anymore. I'm a bit worried I'm going straight to hell but at the same time, is there even a hell? Why should I (occasionally) feel bad about doing something I enjoy doing? Also wondering if anyone else feels the same.

There obviously isn't a hell, just think about the most effective way you could get people to do what you want - I bet whatever you can think of is similar to hell described in the most popular religions

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me, the major consequence of premarital sex would be getting pregnant to someone who has absolutely no ties to me and could thus leave whenever they want. I wouldn't want to bring up a child when I'm in an unstable relationship / situation.
Reply 16
Yes I'm very worried. Terrified. Worst mistake I've ever made in my life, such a terrible thing. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Wish I could change it.
Everyone has done something that is classed as a 'sin' in the eyes of religion.

The way I see it, humans/animals were made to have sex, it's what keeps the species going. Obviously you should be careful about it and not just sleep with anyone, but sex is a natural thing which has always existed, and was around long before any religious books were written.

Many people have sex because they have deep feelings or love that person. Would a god really punish someone for love, just because they haven't said a couple of words to each other in a church? Surely he is more occupied with dealing with those who hurt others and the world through hate.

I'm not knocking anyone's beliefs, if you don't want to have sex for one reason or another then it's up to you, but if you do, then it's not something to feel guilty of imho anyway.....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18

Apparently they have cookies there if that helps :confused:
Original post by Geena-
If people followed the bible as if it were all gospel truth.

I'm enjoying the irony in this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending