The Student Room Group

Anyone else have bad eyesight?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
That sucks, but I guess it's not the end of the world because loads of people have it. :smile: I'm not sure whether my mum has a history of it in her family because she was adopted. Have you considered getting laser eye surgery? The idea just scares me to be honest! I've just learnt to deal with wearing glasses and lenses instead.

yeah I know! don't want people to cut in to my eye:eek: even though glasses and contact lenses can be so annoying sometimes :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by OU Student
They sometimes show how laser eye surgery is done on a programme called How it Works. Being squeamish about anything eye related, I can't physically watch that at all.:redface:

hmm might go check that out. weirdly i find watching surgery fascinating :s-smilie:. too clumsy to be a surgeon though :tongue:
Reply 42
I had perfect vision up until 15 but since then my right has gone very short sighted, to the point where things just a metre in front of me are blurry.

The good thing is that my left eye is still perfect and my brain compensates and I see properly.
Reply 43
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
haha i still moan about it to everyone

anything to get sympathy right :tongue:
I have to wear glasses. :lol:

If I take my glasses off, it's near impossible to read unless I have my face right up to the writing, and everything's a bit blurry. If I try to read without my glasses, it's like, "What does that say? :wtf:" Faces are a bit blurred too.

I started wearing glasses when I was about 8. I have to wear hearing aids as well. Started wearing them around the same time as my glasses too.

Deafness, bad eyesight and Asperger's all in one. :lol:
Original post by qewrtyu
anything to get sympathy right :tongue:

it's annoying when i can't read stuff!!
Reply 46
it's annoying when i can't read stuff!!

nah whats annoying is when you cant see a foot in front of your face:tongue:
Original post by qewrtyu

hahahahhaha xD not that you're bitter about this or anything :P
Reply 48
hahahahhaha xD not that you're bitter about this or anything :P

no :rolleyes: (ok so maybe I would like to have better eyesight:tongue:)
Original post by qewrtyu
ah I think I'd be too scared to ever get laser eye surgery - they cut into your eyes :eek:

Well most people who do it are completely fine after, its just the technique and so that really doesn't bother me, though if the chances of a failure were high* I'd be pretty scared too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by TerribleTej
Well most people who do it are completely fine after, its just the technique and so that really doesn't bother me, though if the chances of a failure were eye I'd be pretty scared too.

but there are so many things which could go wrong:s-smilie:
Reply 51
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
I have to wear glasses. :lol:

If I take my glasses off, it's near impossible to read unless I have my face right up to the writing, and everything's a bit blurry. If I try to read without my glasses, it's like, "What does that say? :wtf:" Faces are a bit blurred too.

I started wearing glasses when I was about 8. I have to wear hearing aids as well. Started wearing them around the same time as my glasses too.

Deafness, bad eyesight and Asperger's all in one. :lol:

aw thats bad luck -_- think our eyesight is about the same. hey at least people with aspergers are generally really intelligent :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by sliceofcake
I have the worst eye sight of all of my friends and most of my family (except my grandma). I've been wearing glasses since I was 12 and they got really bad really quickly from 14-16. The decline is steady now, and actually the last time I went to the opticians she said the prescription she was coming out with was weaker than my current glasses :???: A one-off, I think! They don't feel like they've improved! I don't know the exact number of my prescription but I do have to lean forward towards my screen a bit to read my words on the monitor if I look without my glasses.
I used to say I wish I didn't have to wear them, and for the sake of my eye sight, I wish I didn't but I'm glad I wear glasses as they make me look much better! I look weird without my glasses, another reason I'll probably never wear contacts.

haha last year when i went to the opticians she said my left eye was -7 and my right eye was -6.75 but this year she's saying its the other way round! yeah i think i look weird without glasses as well but i still wear contacts occasionally even though they dry your eyes out :s-smilie:
Original post by qewrtyu
aw thats bad luck -_- think our eyesight is about the same. hey at least people with aspergers are generally really intelligent :biggrin:

It's taught me a lot of stuff though. :biggrin: I like laughing about it. When I laugh, it's not so serious any more. :lol:

You're short sighted too? Have you ever lost or broken your glasses before?

Ha ha, yea. A lot of famous people with Asperger's are really intelligent and gifted. :lol:
Reply 54
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
It's taught me a lot of stuff though. :biggrin: I like laughing about it. When I laugh, it's not so serious any more. :lol:

You're short sighted too? Have you ever lost or broken your glasses before?

Ha ha, yea. A lot of famous people with Asperger's are really intelligent and gifted. :lol:

I like your attitude to life :biggrin:.
yeah once this boy in primary school threw a ball at my face breaking my glasses ( think it was an accident) lost my glasses a few days ago for a whole day probably spent an hour looking for them lol. lucky i have contact lenses. found them on my bed :mad:.
Original post by qewrtyu

This. Especially when it's a close friend you can't recognise.:redface: It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't happen again 5 days later.:rolleyes:
Original post by qewrtyu
yeah once this boy in primary school threw a ball at my face breaking my glasses ( think it was an accident) lost my glasses a few days ago for a whole day probably spent an hour looking for them lol. lucky i have contact lenses. found them on my bed :mad:.

Ha ha, thanks. :biggrin:

No one's broken my glasses before. But I've lost them once and had to wait about a month for a new replacement. I had to hold the textbooks in school close to my face and my handwriting became big too during that time. And I've done that before: losing my glasses for a whole day - "Da*** did I do with my glasses? :wtf: ...Oh, they've been right here the whole time. :argh:" :lol:

What are contact lenses like to wear?
Original post by qewrtyu
but there are so many things which could go wrong:s-smilie:

no pain no gain :wink:

I just noticed I wrote eye instead of high LOL silly me.
Original post by qewrtyu

The screw and lens came out of mine. I had no glasses for a few days. Was a right pain. Because of how small the screw is, it's kind of difficult to put it back in.
Glasses at home. I look gross in them.
Contacts when out. Even though they are annoying.

My eyesight is so bad... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest