The Student Room Group

This country is a complete joke.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10938988/Civil-servants-to-fill-Army-reserves-gaps.html

Are you even serious?

Thousands of civil servants are to be encouraged to join the Army reserves to help the Government fill a gap in numbers caused by sacking thousands of full-time troops. What the actual ****.

Yes, because we all know how courageous, fearless and warrior like those civil servants are. True Spartans. What a joke.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Army 2020 is beyond a joke. Absolute balls up of a restructuring, expecting the territorials, sorry the now re-branded 'Army Reserve', to make up the gap in manpower. Reserves are great, but they are exactly that, reserves. Better to have full time soldiers, who are constantly training to ensure our strategic capability. Can't expect people to actually join, especially when the government have failed to bring in any proper legislation protecting the employment rights of reserve soldiers. Glad it is biting the government back, what they deserve for laying off so many soldiers. Civil servants are the only thing keeping this country running, now the government want them to keep the Army going? Hah.
Reply 2
Original post by Swanbow
Army 2020 is beyond a joke. Absolute balls up of a restructuring, expecting the territorials, sorry the now re-branded 'Army Reserve', to make up the gap in manpower. Reserves are great, but they are exactly that, reserves. Better to have full time soldiers, who are constantly training to ensure our strategic capability. Can't expect people to actually join, especially when the government have failed to bring in any proper legislation protecting the employment rights of reserve soldiers. Glad it is biting the government back, what they deserve for laying off so many soldiers. Civil servants are the only thing keeping this country running, now the government want them to keep the Army going? Hah.

In my view, Phillip Hammond and the majority of the chief military officers and MoD directors should be executed for high treason. They have purposely risked and undermined national security for reasons no other than careerism and lack of backbone. The entire MoD should be purged along with the treasury.

Army 2020 is a failure from the start, and was not thought out on a strategic basis. Any military officer that backs Army 2020 should be stripped of their commission and forced to leave the forces.

This country is being led by actual retards. No wonder we are losing Afghan, when the majority of the senior military officers are halfwits.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't think you're really getting the right end of the stick.

It's more of a "lead by example" type thing i.e. not expecting the private sector to bear the burden of reservists, and also to lead by example in terms of demonstrating how to accomodate reservists at work.
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
I don't think you're really getting the right end of the stick.

It's more of a "lead by example" type thing i.e. not expecting the private sector to bear the burden of reservists, and also to lead by example in terms of demonstrating how to accomodate reservists at work.

Civil servants though.... Come on... Is a civil servant really going to be an effective infanteer? Realistically? No. Probably **** their Calvin Klein's before they even get off the plane.

Lead by example? That's why we have officers, who have been trained for a year at Sandhurst. Not some mong from Westminster.

Reservists should not be leading regulars anywhere. They are complimentary. If that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by the mezzil
Civil servants though.... Come on... Is a civil servant really going to be an effective infanteer? Realistically? No.

Lead by example? That's why we have officers, who have been trained for a year at Sandhurst. Not some mong from Westminster.

Reservists should not be leading regulars anywhere.

No, no. You aren't getting it.

"Lead by example" in terms of the government (public sector) showing a good example by accomodating reservists and showing how it can be done.

Of course it's not going to be a case that the old Indian lady at HMRC is suddenely going to roll up tomorrow as OC of an infantry company. But it's equally wrong to assume that Civil Servants are for some reason incapable of being reservists. The point is that anyone so-minded should have the opportunity to do so. A reservist can be a teacher, a nursery nurse, a petrol pump attendant, a shop floor worker at a supermarket.
Reply 6
Civil servants though.... Come on... Is a civil servant really going to be an effective infanteer? Realistically? No.

Reservists should not be leading regulars anywhere. They are complimentary. If that.

99% of the medical reservists are NHS. Civil servants. No less effective for it.

One of the guys who used to work with my Dad for English Heritage (a government body) was a TA driver/sniper and perfectly well trained and respected for it.

You can't simply lump civil servants into one category, there's half a million of them ffs, some of them are going to extremely capable, motivated and keen. Of course, not all are, that's inevitable but hell, you can very easily say the same about the people in the regulars.
Reply 7
Original post by Clip
No, no. You aren't getting it.

"Lead by example" in terms of the government (public sector) showing a good example by accomodating reservists and showing how it can be done.

Of course it's not going to be a case that the old Indian lady at HMRC is suddenely going to roll up tomorrow as OC of an infantry company. But it's equally wrong to assume that Civil Servants are for some reason incapable of being reservists. The point is that anyone so-minded should have the opportunity to do so. A reservist can be a teacher, a nursery nurse, a petrol pump attendant, a shop floor worker at a supermarket.

This will be us in 2020.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gI6sARmxEuc
Reply 8

What? A bunch of gay paedophiles?
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
99% of the medical reservists are NHS. Civil servants. No less effective for it.

One of the guys who used to work with my Dad for English Heritage (a government body) was a TA driver/sniper and perfectly well trained and respected for it.

You can't simply lump civil servants into one category, there's half a million of them ffs, some of them are going to extremely capable, motivated and keen. Of course, not all are, that's inevitable but hell, you can very easily say the same about the people in the regulars.

The medics makes sense and I already knew that, but I'm talking about the nitty gritty arms. The infantry, Artillery, Armoured.

I realise there will be tough nuts here and there, but it's basically like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I really can't see Albert from the pensions department storming compound walls on the weekend. This is what I mean. Reservists are good (some are anyway) but they can not replace regulars. Certainly not reservists that are bloody civil servants!
Reply 10
Original post by Clip
What? A bunch of gay paedophiles?

No the Greeks on the right.
Reply 11
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10938988/Civil-servants-to-fill-Army-reserves-gaps.html

Are you even serious?

Thousands of civil servants are to be encouraged to join the Army reserves to help the Government fill a gap in numbers caused by sacking thousands of full-time troops. What the actual ****.

Yes, because we all know how courageous, fearless and warrior like those civil servants are. True Spartans. What a joke.

Im sorry, but how does this warrant 'This country is a joke'?
People like you who complain about the UK should honestly be shipped off to live in another country for a few months and see what its like
THEN you will see real corruption, idiotic governments, crime, injustice and lack of opportunities.

THE IGNORANCE
IS REAL
I realise there will be tough nuts here and there, but it's basically like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I really can't see Albert from the pensions department storming compound walls on the weekend. This is what I mean. Reservists are good (some are anyway) but they can not replace regulars. Certainly not reservists that are bloody civil servants!

Hence why they're asking for 1%. Not 10, not 20.

1%. Of 450,000. That is a needle in a haystack.

And again, tired clichés of civil servants that you trot out are only one part of the story. Do you not think there could be some serious hard cases among the Prison Guard population to name but one? Do you not think that among many departments you'll find guys and girls who remember their OTC days fondly and want to get back into it? Your stereotype of a 50-something civil servant pen pusher is just one extreme and you're ignoring everyone else.

We all agree that the idea to scrap regulars on the off-chance of recruiting enough Reservists is a bad one, but by the same measure, pretending that there aren't people out there who are capable of doing this is idiotic.
Reply 13
Original post by teen1234
Im sorry, but how does this warrant 'This country is a joke'?
People like you who complain about the UK should honestly be shipped off to live in another country for a few months and see what its like
THEN you will see real corruption, idiotic governments, crime, injustice and lack of opportunities.

THE IGNORANCE
IS REAL

The joke being 1/4 of our Armed Forces "should" become reservists, and 1/6 of the population of reservists should be civil servants. We are going to get laughed at.
The joke being 1/4 of our Armed Forces "should" become reservists, and 1/6 of the population of reservists should be civil servants. We are going to get laughed at.

Bull S...

As long as the people are trained and equipped properly I couldn't care less what their civilian job is. And it couldn't matter less what their civilian job is.
Reply 15

'We are going to get laughed at'
OH NO PLEASE GOD NO. NOT THAT.
I mean mass genocide, governmental racism, death penalties, legalised child marriages is fine. But please, not other people laughing at us
Original post by teen1234

Because none of this happens in the UK right? Let's not pretend none of this is happening in the UK. If you think it all isn't then you're incredibly naive.
This is ridiculous.

Reply 18
No the Greeks on the right.

I wouldn't worry too much. Things have been much worse and they always sort themselves out. Before Peyps, the RN was in absolute meltdown and we basically had no Navy. After the first Options for Change, we still had loads of infantry - but as it turns out we were pretty incapable of doing anything with it. Before the Falklands, our Army was much bigger - but as it turns out not very good at dealing with anything other than rolling around the German countryside.

I also would caution against all this Laconophilia. The Spartans were really overrated. The only reason they got to be "professional" soldiers of the day was by not only owning slaves, but effectively enslaving the native Helots. Outside of the Peloponnesian Wars and some sallies against the Persians, the Spartans rarely went to war because they were too scared of a domestic uprising by the Helots. They were also rubbish at Naval Warfare, didn't get seige warfare and were everyone's bitches at Pylos.
Reply 19
Original post by Drewski
Hence why they're asking for 1%. Not 10, not 20.

1%. Of 450,000. That is a needle in a haystack.

And again, tired clichés of civil servants that you trot out are only one part of the story. Do you not think there could be some serious hard cases among the Prison Guard population to name but one? Do you not think that among many departments you'll find guys and girls who remember their OTC days fondly and want to get back into it? Your stereotype of a 50-something civil servant pen pusher is just one extreme and you're ignoring everyone else.

We all agree that the idea to scrap regulars on the off-chance of recruiting enough Reservists is a bad one, but by the same measure, pretending that there aren't people out there who are capable of doing this is idiotic.

Prison and police is fair enough and respectable, but I really can't even see 1% of the civil service being able to become effective reservists. We are going to get laughed at and not taken seriously.

Lets not pretend the OTC is anything like the regulars, or even reserves. Although the OTC has become a lot more serious in its aims and training standards since 2011 (quite a lot actually to be fair), it's not the same.

I feel that this drive to get civil servants to join the reserves is nothing more than a last stand by the MoD before they admit they were wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending